“january reward”

Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Reviewed January 20, 2013

spent January 12-19 at this resort, great staff, beautiful beach with lots of room, best buffet food I've ever had in Dominican, great variety with taste restaurants are typical nothing special, resort at this time was not crowded so easy to get food and drink, relatively remote area of samana which is good because we jut wanted to relax, could snorkle after the storms went bye, huge lobby area, Spanish house wine was good (this is how I rate a resort, got a great deal with sell-off vacations and a club diamond suite which was huge, very quiet at night and the grounds well kept

Room Tip: problem club diamond suites a ways from beach, but we got our room changed to one closer, be careful...
2  Thank drubil
Customer Servic... B, Jefe Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Firstly we hope you had a good trip back home and we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our service.

We hope to have you back in the near future at the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and I take the opportunity to send a very warm greeting.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us in our e-mail address info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We travelled to this resort on a family trip, 8ppl for a week. All of the staff were very friendly. A variety of options for activities or you can just lounge on the clean beach and wade into the calm ocean.
I recommend taking advantage of day and 1/2 day excursions (horseback riding, zip lining) if you usually like to get off the resort as this is the easiest way.
The sales people for the Bahia Principe Privilege Club were the only distraction from the positive experience. They are in the lobby and wear white shirts. They are persistant, but I found if I was just as persisitant back that I did not want to talk to them every thing was fine.
There were also vendors on the beach which were very polite and a simple no thank you would be enough.
A small tip went a long way with housekeeping, waitstaff, etc.
The spa staff were professional and pleasant.
We all had suites and the beds were very firm, you can ask for a pillow top (I think that's what it's called) for your mattress. One of the couples in the group did this and found it helped.
I would recommend this location for people travelling to the Dominican Republic.

Room Tip: We were in building 11, a diamond/hacienda suite, they are quiet and have their own pool and bar. Th...
4  Thank Heidi W

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and share your comments about your last stay with us

We are happy to know that we got our main goal, which is your entire satisfaction with our services and installations, and especially that you enjoyed the attention of our personal.

We invite you to visit us again, so please contact us before your next visit and we will try our best to accommodate all your wishes. We hope to receive you soon at your house in El Portillo

Receive our warmest regards,

Reviewed January 18, 2013

If you like large clean resorts with good food,friendly staff,endless rum and beer book this resort.
It sits on a beautiful beach,lots of seating and shade.
Check in was quick,one issue they forgot to mention that no safe key was included so I had to walk all the way back ,wait in line for the safe key.$40 for 10 days.
Checkout was super quick,we only had to pay $5. For an emergency phone call from our room,so that was awesome.thank you Janilca and Crismilda
Wifi was good in the main area,iPad fits in safe!
The time share guys were friendly but pushy,that the job they have,our friends told them they did not have a credit card and they never talked to them again(hint).
Herman our WestJet guy was good BUT if you book a jeep tour and know you will visit the school please bring supplies,it is a great stop and it would help so much.
We had tons of fun with GUY the Air Canada rep.he is so funny to tease so please
The BEST waitress was Ana,she needs to train and run that Resturaunt,she made our stay the best,her smile lights up the room,quick and friendly her eyes were working as fast as her feet,baby girl arriving in a few months so look for the wisp of a lady with the belly and give her a hug for me!
Hello hello hello Charlie,so much fun,loved him on the beach with his devil outfit,great guy!All the guys in the animation group were delightfully and great dancers.
Walk the plank zip line was fantastic,owner Bart was our guide and he is so much fun,but Chocolate had us laughing all day long,they are the best group of zippers I have ever had.book it!
We stayed in room 9303, nice room,our maid was so good and so happy with the service.
Loved the beach dogs that walk with you.
Watch customs coming back they check your stuff like crazy,I had so much taken but no problem whatever.

6  Thank travellingpope

Dear Guest,

We are grateful for your comments regarding your recent stay at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and for trusting in the good reviews about us.

It is a real pleasure to read that we met your expectations in regards to the standards of the hotel and that our personnel have left a good impression especially Janilca, Crismilda, Ana and Charlie; they are great ambassadors of the service our hotel and your nice words are a great motivation to keep up with the professionalism and service.

Thank you very much for recommending our resort; we would be delighted to assist you in the future when your travel plans lead you back to the Caribbean.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Spent a week over Christmas with my wife and son at this perfect property. Nothing but friendly and attentive staff in all parts of the resort. Property is gorgeous with immaculate landscaping and the front hall/lobby is amazing. Had to work the first day of my vacation, and spending several hours in that lobby was one of the most exotic things I've ever done work-wise. Also, the property size is perfect ... bigger places sometimes have no soul or cohesion and stupid excess (multiple deserted pools, for eg.) ... smaller places can feel campy, crowded, boring.

Food was amazing ... ate mostly in the buffet. Lots of variety, lots of change, everything delicious (except some new-to-me fruit that looked like a fig, but made my mouth feel tingly, prickly). The extra big splash for Christmas eve dinner was luxurious, beautiful, tasty. Staff were always attentive, friendly. Alternated between sitting inside and outside. More tables outside would be good. Eating fancy breakfast outside in nice morning air with light wind in the palms was way cool.

My wife did dancing, exercises, and language lessons daily with charming, hard-working rec staff, and she loved it.

Beach was fine. Snorkelling was not so good, but we knew that going in. Walking up or down beach off property is very nice. Weather was good, so we felt lucky, since I gather it can be a bit wet in Dec.

Really have nothing bad to say, and it was a real treat to spend a week there.

Room Tip: We like a quiet room away from bustle and/or night life, and got lucky to get one on edge of propert...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Jefe Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a good review of your recent stay at Grand Bahía Príncipe El Portillo in our Tripadvisor web page and share with our fans your experience with us, we are totally agree with you, we are blessed with one of the most beautiful beach. We would love to welcome you back soon in the near future whenever you are planning to come back to visit us.

Regard,

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and I were here for four nights in January, 2013. We found very inconvenient that we were so many times bothered by sellers inside the hotel. Also, most of all, bothered by the sellers of the Bahia Principe Privilege Club, the ones that stay at the lobby. My god! Me and my wife couldn't stand hearing again "Amigo!" or "Please go to this meeting because then you help me earning U$25,00". And also lying: they told us it was only for 10 minutes and we were supposed to have 60 minutes! Really, really inconvenient. At least for a supposedly 5 star hotel. Also, we felt many times as being controlled, watched over, not cared. Too many times we needed to tell people our room number, even using the all-inclusive band. We don't understand why we could have dinner only twice at the a la carte restaurants, even having stayed for four nights! It wasn't really what we expected for such a kind of a hotel, even if overall it wasn't a whole bad experience...

7  Thank DanielHelene

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay at our Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

I deeply regret to learn that we did not fully exceed your expectations. In Bahia Principe Hotels and Resorts we believe that only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests we are able to immediately detect areas for improvement and can therefore take actions instantly. I assure you that your observations were taken with the utmost consideration.

We apologize for the inconvenience with the club privilege your comments have been tried with the up most diligence and have been referred to the General Hotel Manager as well as the Club Privilege Manager to take the appropriate measures in your case. Comments such as like yours are what we strive for everyday to improve the quality of our service which we provide.

We hope to welcome you again to the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and to thank them in person. Contact us at our email address info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com.

Regard,

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I just returned from El Portillo, with my sisters in-law, nephews and niece, after a family vacation with my wife's parents. Problems arose right at check in where her parents (repeat customers at El Portillo, and bookers of our vacation) weren't in the same building, and all of us weren't in the building they had booked (building 1.) In the end they made room for them in the same building as us (building 3), but it was a bit of an omen for some things to come.

The resort itself was absolutely beautiful. The rooms were clean and adequate, though not what you think of when you book a Golden Club Suite (not a suite at all, just a long room with a bathroom.) We had a king size bed, but it was hard as a rock...which was painful. The beach was fantastic and the coral reef was awesome to be able to access so conveniently from the beach.

Every day we ate at the buffet so that it was easier for my one sister-in-law who has celiac disease, and everything was fine...for a day or two...but then every day someone new in our group of nine was sick....in all, 5 of the 9 of us were sick (some for more than one day), almost assuredly from the food (since none of us were drinking THAT much), which seemed fine at the time of consumption. On top of that, the towel service was iffy for some of our rooms...and the room my wife and I had (ground floor of building 3) was good until about three days in when we got new neighbours above us who smoked. Then all we could smell was second hand/stale cigarette smoke in our room coming through the air vent/air conditioning vent. Since it was so hot/humid there(it is the Dominican afteral) we weren't about to turn the A/C off...but still...the fact that disgusting smell is travelling from room to room through the vents is gross and unhealthy.

I'm torn on reviewing this resort because on one hand the resort itself was beatiful and the staff I dealt with personally were all extremely friendly and happy....but at the same time, when over half your large party come down with illness during the stay, it's hard to recommend. We did not complain to the resort about our illness while there because it's pretty hard to pinpoint what the cause was since we always ate at the buffet restaurant and all of us usually had different things to eat...and it is hit and miss with this type of thing in the Caribbean....but with that said, I will not return to this specific resort.

3  Thank RFCanada

Dear Guest,

Cordial greetings from all the team working in Grand Bahía Príncipe El Portillo; we would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate the impressions of your vacation with our Tripadvisor community. It is clear that our customers are the most important, naturally so are their comments. Observations are treated with the utmost interest; as it is the best way to know what specific points we must focus our attention on to improve in all aspects.

Grand Bahía Príncipe El Portillo Hotel is known for our guests’ suitability, thus for this reason please accept our apologies for the inconveniences that you have experienced; your disappointment is ours to rectify, and to ensure that our guests do not leave with letdown feelings but rather those of satisfaction. As our goals are to fulfill those and meet our guests’ expectations, to turn the negative into the positive with finding solutions to our problems, we wish to welcome you back at our best and effective treatment.

For any enquiry please contact us at our email address info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com.

Best wishes,

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I went there with my family and this was an awesome 10 days that we spend there. The food was excellent, the animation team is very good and the resort is simply gorgeous. There is no time to get bored, because there is so much activities going on and everyone in the animation team are very friendly. A special thanks to the assistant manager, Carlos Rosario who did a excellent job to take care of our every needs.

3  Thank William P

Dear Guest,

Let me express my gratitude for writing your impressions in this website and to share them with other guests.

We feel glad to read that you have left the hotel feeling totally invigorated. Thank you for highlighting our entertainment team. It is important for us to know that our staff’s efforts are appreciated by our guests.

We all hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Las Terrenas
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
#6 of 54 in Samana Province

Been to Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo? Share your experiences!