“It doesn't get better then El Portillo”

Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I recommend this hotel to everyone. I work for an Airline and I have travelled quite a bit and I truly love El Portillo I have been back several times over the past year and half and it has been amazing every time. Very relaxing, clean, lots of fun and great people (very very safe). I have never meant such hard working people in my life from 7 am until 2 am the animation team is absolutely amazing (Rosa, Nicole, Carlito, Juan Carlos, Ariel & Daviel, German and managers Robert and Leinny). I personal think they are over worked but they never show it they are there to make your vacation the best. Reception manager Carlos will take good care of you from start to finish he truly gives amazing customer service. The waiters are amazing always on top of it you always have a drink and never a mess in front of you.

Room Tip: The resort is small you can walk from the beach to security in 5 to 7 minutes any of the rooms are g...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Stacey B
Customer Servic... B, Jefe Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo and for being such a faithful guest.
We are very proud to have guests like you who know so well our All Inclusive quality service and recommend it to your friends and all the TripAdvisor users.

Do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit in order to give you the treatment that you deserve us in our e-mail address info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com.

Best Regards,

Gran Bahía Príncipe El Portillo

Write a ReviewReviews (6,363)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was an excellent hotel if you are looking for a secluded beautiful water front location. Food in the buffet was very good and varied. The theme restaurants were excellent. Drinks were strong and plentiful. Staff is very friendly and accommodating and gave us anything we asked for. The room we had was a good size room it was perfect on the first floor and close to the lobby excellent service by the cleaning lady, pool and beach and the balcony was great. The beach was amazing, warm turquoise, crystal clear water, with a fantastic live coral reef barely 50 feet from shore. That being said, if you are looking for a place to relax and enjoy the beach and entertained every minute this is the location for you, the animation team: best I have ever experienced! Morning to night they entertained, got people involved, made the stay a true pleasure. They worked tirelessly to keep things going! The beach party and ideal couple’s game will forever stay in my mind! The resort itself is beauty, lush greenery, awesome the main lobby space. I recommend going to the lobby bar for a cappuccino with rum! The. Disco - conveniently away from the main rooms, had A/C good lighting, fabulous dancing. I also would like to point out the service was EXCELLENT the people that worked there were friendly considering how many people they had staying that week we will also like to thank Nidia,Carlos at the lobby bar and Maryles at the buffet restaurant for making this vacation so special, and specially to you Carlos Rosario the front desk manager for everything and making feel at home and with all that was going on that week and weekend you still managed to stop and talk to make sure everything was fine WITH OUR STAY. Again thank you Carlos for making us feel at home!!!! All in all we did enjoy ourselves, and defiantly will go back next year. Well done Carlos for making us so satisfied with our VACATION..........You should be very proud of your hotel, your staff.............And your hard work certainly pays off. Take Care, be well see you soon!

Brenda Perez, Rocio Morel ... Brooklyn, NY

PS. Im sure i missed alot of people is so hard to remember all there names..... :-)

Room Tip: Jr. suite is consider vip large rooms excellent service
2  Thank lee924

Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort, especially the services from our front desk department and that you appreciated the professionalism of our staff, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our employees.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us in our e-mail address info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com.

Yours respectfully,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

First off let me say my husband and I have traveled to the DR before. Both my husband and myself are very nuteral people we have stayed in 5 star resorts to some that I don't even thing have a rating so we are not the type of people to just nick pick. Although this was the first time to Samana. With that said, El Portillo is a decent resort for the price. If you are looking for a 5 star resort then your best bet is to go elsewhere. We did have a few little problems durning our stay but still enjoyed our time. I think for us the main problem was when we arrived we did not realize it was a national holiday for the people of the Dominican Republic. We were hoping for a nice quite relaxing few days and instead headed into what seemed like a whril wind of hundreds of people. Don't get me wrong, by all means everyone deserves a getaway. It was just way too many people for our liking. You really could not even find a spot in either of the swimming pools. So we decided to hang on the beach which is really what we came for anyway, did not seem to have a problem finding a chair out there (I guess everyone wanted to hang out by the pools instead.) The beach area is clean and pretty, it is not as pretty as Punta Cana though, but it was nice. I liked that there was always some sort of breeze blowing through all the time. The rooms well, were average at that. We booked a regular room in hopes of being able to upgrade when we got there, but because of the holiday they were not able to do it till the next day and by then I was already unpacked and did not want to pack and move again since we were just there a few days. I would suggest to upgrade to a junior suite the rooms are alot bigger. The food was average we had the buffett which had a very big selection of food so unless you are a very picky eater you should not go hungry. The grounds and lobby area were nice and keeped cleaned. Now for the few problems we had, and again they were very minor problems, but still not something you want to incounter on vacation. The first night our toilet broke, our second night the toilet broke again. Along with 2 days of not having our mini bar refilled and our room not being cleaned at 7:00 in the evening. But I will say when we called the front desk they were on top of it. We had a maid in our room within 20 mins and a toilet fixer as well. I also would like to point out the service was good the people that worked there were friendly considering how many people they had staying that weekend, and a special thank you to Carlos the front desk manager I know he was going crazy with everything going on but still managed to stop and talk to make sure everything was fine. Again thanks Carlos!!!! All in all we did enjoy ourselves, but the question is would we go back? No, there are to many other places that we would like to explore. Let me also be honest and comment, we were only there for 4 days and for my husband and myself 4 days was enough.

Room Tip: Up grade to a juinor suite or higher if you can the regular rooms were way to small.
4  Thank Newfielover
Customer Servic... B, Jefe Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay in our hotel. We appreciate your comment and value your opinion for the overall betterment of our hospitality.

We appreciate the observations concerning the service and the staff, as it has helped us to reinforce the operational practices that are executed once a day. Indeed, our front desk Manager and our housekeeping manager have had a meeting with the staff. Due to the uncommonness of your case, we hope that this one experience has not overshadowed your perception of Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

We are sorry that we were not able to impress you with our services. Please let this not be a motive to not stay with us in the future as I can assure you that we continuously work with our staff in order to improve the quality and promptness of our services.

For any enquiry please contact us at our email address info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was an excellent hotel if you are looking for a secluded beautiful water front location. Food in the buffet was very good and varied. The theme restaraunts were excellent but in the off season only one is open per night and you have you have to be firm to get a reservation.Drinks were strong and plentiful. Staff is very friendly and accomadating and gave us anything we asked for. For those that don't speak Spanish be aware that this is the primary language of most of the staff but we had fun learning and communicating with the staff which also helped when we went off property. The rooms were clean, the AC worked fine, the mattresses were a little firm, the rooms are good sized, and the balcony was great. Did not use the gym, our group ( 50 somethings) was there mostly for relaxation. The beaches are amazing, warm torquise, crystal clear water, with a fantastic live coral reef barely 50 feet from shore. That being said, if you are going there expecting to be pampered and entertained every minute this may not be the location for you. It is quite an adventurous 2 1/2 hour ride from the Santo Domingo airport over some mountain roads, through small towns (at speed), with houses, kids, dogs, and people on horseback going past you at 100KPH. The resort is located near Las Terranas, a small French town that has not learned how to be a tourist trap so don't expect the usual t-shirt shops and excursion companies. The buldings are quite rustic and you have to see them to get a feel for the area. We spent a couple hours in town and that was enough but, it would have been fun to go back at night. You can find activities if you are active. There are dive tours, excursions to island and secluded beaches where you will be the only people there. We arranged an all day trip through Cheap Carribean that included a visit to a local village, a cigar "factory", a local families home (plantation), and a ranch where we had lunch and then went to the Limon falls. It was a very interesting adventurous day. I will review the Limon falls on that site. All in all a fantastic visit and our only complaint was that we did not stay longer.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank DJB1954

Dear Guest,

Firstly, we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our service.

We greatly appreciate your comments about facilities, services, grounds and the friendliness of our staff; Comments such as like yours are what motivate us as a team everyday to improve the quality of service that we offer and fulfill our commitment with customer satisfaction.

We hope to have you back in the near future at Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo and I take the opportunity to send a very warm greeting.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us in our e-mail address: info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Still a very beautiful property. Hot food was actually hot and a good selection. Staff and drinks were very good. Do NOT purchase the upgrade. We were with another couple and they wanted a room in building 1. The desk clerk said they would have to purchase the upgrade to get the room they wanted. We too decided to upgrade as the building is close to everything. The clerk told us what was included in the upgrade. Room upgrade, pool towels and robes in the room. 20% off of spa services. VIP bar and lounge in another building. Oh and 4 specialty resturants. Free T shirts and a bottle of some booze. All for $150.00 for the week, $30.00 per room per night. The lady in guess services presented a different list. I asked for a document to better understand what was included. No list exists. No towels or robe in the room. Two lamps missing light bulbs, not broken, but missing. VIP bar and lounge, this was a joke. There was table in guest services building with 5 bottles of booze and a sofa. Oh, you made your own drinks. Only allowed 2 specialty resturants. My wife had to ask for the T shirts and bottle of booze. When checking out we were told we would not get the 20% off of the spa services as we had purchased a promotional upgrade. No idea what that meant. One morning as we were leaving the room for the beach a basket of fruit was delivered, we waited for the guy to place it in the room. When we returned, the basket of fruit was missing, no idea why. Would I go there again? YES, but would not purchase the upgrade. We were there for 5 nights in September 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank drbutch

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for having taken time to express your impressions of your past stays with us. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our service and facilities, we put our greatest interests and value in our guest’s opinion.

We are very proud to receive comments and opinions such as yours. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. Be assured at Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo will never cease in its effort to achieve our goal – the total satisfaction of our guests.

We are very sorry to hear about the fact that in some aspects we could not fulfill your expectations. The mentioned occurrence in your Room up grade have concerned us so much, therefore be advised that your comments have been tried with the up most diligence and have been referred to the General Hotel Manager as well as the different Manager of the departments involved in order to take the appropriate measures in your case. Comments such as like yours are what we strive for everyday to improve the quality of our service which we provide.

We hope to welcome you again at Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo. Please feel free to contact us at the following address whenever you are planning to come back: info.elportillo@bahiaprincipe.com

Reviewed September 30, 2012

excellent hotel to stay and have a great vacation of any kind!!! Great service, great location, really nice place. My husband and I really like it :)

Review collected in partnership with Bahia Principe
4  Thank Nicaury R
Customer Servic... B, Jefe Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are greatly appreciate your comments. Our goal it is achieve maximum satisfaction of our guests. We hope to welcome you again to the Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo and to thank them in person. Contact us at our email address info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is amazing. Came back on Sept. 23. If you have a chance to go, GO! definitely worth it.Second time in Samana, went to Coaycoa in December.
The beach is fantastic, cannot compliment it enough! Miles and miles of beautiful sands, turquoise waters and palm trees! No resorts, no crowding and you can honestly walk for miles! The coral and fish in the water was a sight to see. The animation team: best I have ever experienced! Morning to night they entertained, got people involved, made the stay a true pleasure. They worked tirelessly to keep things going! The beach party and ideal couples game will forever stay in my mind! The resort it self ia beauty, lush greenery, awesome main bad and lobby space, rooms were well appointed and the food was fabulous! The gourmet was my top pick. A lot of rum, and I mean A LOT of rum served, shots of mamajuana were as always fantastic but deadly! BTW the ocean bar was an experience in itself! Just one way this hotel stands out from the rest.The pina colada night and coconuts with rum was an amazing touch on some days.

Ride from Airport - yes it is long and a bit annoying after the plane trip BUT sit back and enjoy the scenery. It is breath taking and realize your are on vacation not chasing the clock!
Check in - we upgraded rooms, the only not fantastic part of the trip- Check in took too long, too many oh wait a few more minutes, and coming back back and forth. It wasn't efficient. Although checkout was a breeze!
Rooms - upgraded to Villa 1. Well worth the money! In the middle of all the action, 3 minute walk to everything! Highly recommend!
Beach - as mentioned gorgeous, will be coming back. I stayed on the beach for a good 8 hours 3 of the 7 days. :)
Pool- awesome for when the salt water was too much, awesome games and shows by the pool, always found lounge chairs.
Food: buffet great, lot's of choices. Beach buffet smaller, but well appointed. Restaurants were fantastic, but did not like the Sea Food!
Drinks - plentiful and tasty! I recommend going to the lobby bar for a cappuccino with rum! The banana mama's were to die for.
Disco - conveniently away from the main main rooms, had A/C good lighting, fabulous dancing. Now If i can move my butt like the Dominican's I would be much happier but the bachata lessons did help.
Animation and sports- fantastic. Never a dull moment! Tennis courts, pools, ping pong, games, whatever your heart desired! Again shout out to the animation team: KOCHANIE!!! lol
Grounds: lush greenery, small walk ways, well appointed stores for souvenirs available and the prices are very very good. Amazing compared to the airport.

Overall: take a walk to Lat Terrenas, beach side! it;s about an hour and 15 minutes but the views are one in a million. The city it self it okay, good shopping and we jumped on a motorcycle with a driver for the way back. A little adventure never hurts and the driver was fantastic. During the weekends locals do come to the resort, yes it get much busier but not really a problem This place will become a hot spot in a few years! Check it out before it goes all Punta Cana. More authentic then most places, no Starbucks and not commercialized yet! You can relax or have as much as you want. Definitely coming back and very highly recommend! :)

Room Tip: Villa 1! Best option, worth the upgrade. Noticed that the first floor rooms had partial ocean views...
7  Thank Esensa

Dear Guest,

Firstly we hope you had a good trip back home and we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our service.

Comments like that you send us, are what motivate us as a team every day to improve the quality of service we offer. Carlos Rosario is very thankful for your comments about his services.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Las Terrenas
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana
#1 of 54 in Samana Province

Been to Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo? Share your experiences!