“Service malfunction”

St. George and Dragon
Ranked #6 of 8 Restaurants in Wargrave
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Saint George and Dragon in Clyst Saint George is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed August 16, 2013

It promises so much - but something is horribly wrong. A nice drink at the bar. Seated happily. Then it became a farce for the next three hours as we fought for food. Staff and management cant handle more it. A real, real shame as its my local.

1  Thank TheNick101

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I really do not understand the negative reviews as our experience today was very good.
Excellent service from a lady named Bronte and other staff were courteous and friendly as well.
The food is excellent pub food at reasonable prices with a good choice.
On Thursdays they offer bottles of Champagne @£20 which we enjoyed.
Great position on a prime spot on the Thames to watch the boats and wildlife- very relaxing.
So please ignore the bad reviews and enjoy your visit.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

The service was really slow, we waited nearly 90 minutes to receive our main courses which arrived just before 10.00pm! There are enough waiting staff, but they lack guidance and don't really seem to know what they are doing. There also seems to be a major problem in the kitchen, as they cannot cope with orders in an efficient and timely manner.
The food is average at best. I had spit roast chicken which was a chicken quarter, which at nearly £13 is not good value.
It is a pity as the setting is lovely by the Thames, but this place lacks management of any kind. Their sister pub, The Warren is even worse, so there are definite problems with this chain which need to be addressed. I would recommend you go elsewhere.

1  Thank JAS103
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had a table booked for 8pm, arrived on time and had ordered by 8.30. Some of us got there a little earlier and ordered a couple of drinks. The barrel ran out so they said they would bring them to us. The rest of our guests had arrived and sat down with drinks and after asking 3 times we still did not receive the drinks (do they know how to change a barrel, I do and it takes a couple of minutes). Having ordered our meals by 8.30 we finally ate at 10.15. The food wasn't even worth waiting for. I had cannelloni which had obviously been sat under the lights for too long. It was burnt in places and the pasta was hard and looked like a cheap offering from Iceland. I know they were busy but even so there was no apology or even notice that we might have to wait. The waitresses are all very pleasant but that does not make up for appalling service. I have tried this pub and The Warren in Binfield a few times now and have not had a decent meal yet. Think it is time to give up. I would recommend both of these places as a nice place to sit and have a drink but don't bother trying to eat it is a waste of time and money. They also added 10% service to the bill which I would not have paid but the rest of the party could not be bothered as it would just have taken even longer to sort out.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have never written a review before but was so disappointed with today that I have taken to writing!
The service is extremely poor, we sat outside for 20 minutes whilst 3 girls stood chatting doing nothing before we got up to go the bar (inside) and asked for a menu, some drinks and to order some food for our child
Despite mentioning this to the barman, and being assured that outside was table service, we still had to make 3 trips inside to achieve this, the 3 'waitresses' were still chatting outside

We eventually moved inside in desperation of some service, only to be shown to a bar table which would have been impossible to eat at, despite having ordered our food!

Overall an appalling experience, never again, rude inattentive staff, ask at least 4 times to gain anything, lots of unhappy customers with the staff tutting and complaining about the complaints!
If they were rushed off their feet you could have some sympathy but this place is overrun with staff just of terrible quality and a complete lack of work ethic/customer service/general manners

1  Thank Wokingham2013