2,499 results
All reviews ice room thermal suite salt room lovely hotel outdoor jacuzzi steam room course dinner restaurant staff cooked breakfast a lovely stay bar and restaurant stayed for one night ascot racecourse legoland facial therapist wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel may have had a refurbishment but the mattresses seem at least 30 years old. Worn-out, slumped and disgustingly stained mattresses. If you check your mattress you may be shocked. Our room had twin beds and they were both in the same extremely bad condition.
Unfortunately I cannot return to stay at this hotel because of this problem, because the spa was good and the food was excellent. Both dinner and breakfast. My compliments to the chef.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Booked a weekend away at short notice. I rang the reservation desk for the Macdonald hotel to be told, I couldn't book a spa weekend, even though they had treatment times available. Instead the reservation team sold me a weekend deal including dinner, bed and breakfast, a late check out of 12.30pm and a bottle of prosecco in the room. They also said you could use the spa facilities until you checked out and that dinner could be chosen from the normal menu with £25 a head towards the bill.

On arrival the reception smelt strongly of fish, the Head of reception had a dirty jacket on and was very short, boarding on rude while checking us in. He said we were booked in for dinner bed and breakfast and didn't know anything about the prosecco or late check out. In the end he agreed to a checkout of 12pm and he would put a bottle of prosecco in our room. I was given the reservation sheet to complete and ticked for a morning paper.

The room had the tiniest of bathrooms, some of the furniture was a little tired, the pillows were either like sand bags or empty of feathers but on a positive note the bed was really comfy and the bedding beautifully clean. I had asked for a quiet room and was given a room off a corridor, which was fine, although the hotel had a conference on and the delegates made an awful lot of noise going back to their room at differing times in the early hours! When I asked a cleaner where the fridge was, she said only certain rooms had them, reception said none of the rooms had fridges......

The spa facilities are good, but the indoor pool is freezing. The outside hydro pool is nice and warm and lovely to while away an hour or two.

We had made a reservation for dinner and the waiting staff were incredibly efficient. We were given a set 3 course menu to chose from, instead of the normal menu, but the food was beautifully presented and delicious. We ordered drinks and bread, which were extra. Breakfast was plentiful, staff were the happiest I saw over the whole weekend, but if i was told that if you want black pudding you have to order it on arrival. How are you meant to know this.... very odd. I also saw a customer eating a beautifully presented breakfast of crusty bread, smashed avocado, topped with eggs, we were never offered a breakfast menu. Perhaps there is one and this is where the black pudding is mentioned

On waking, I had no Sunday paper, but a bill with an extra £35. When I questioned the reception team, they seemed to disbelieve that I hadn't ordered an afternoon tea, but they removed it from the bill. They also mentioned that you were not able to use the Spa facilities on the check out day, but agreed that we could on this occasion. After arriving and changing to use the spa facilities, I realised I didn't have my Sunday paper, I mentioned it to the young male receptionist, who tried to call reception who didn't answer. He then went up to reception, but came back down saying I hadn't asked for one at check in.

This hotel is good value for money, but it is such a shame that the staff do not show any attention to detail and that the reservation team and reception do not communicate.

Room tip: 116 is down a quiet corridor and overlooks the pool
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Not asking much from the Hotels I use on business trips but I always seem to find that the more happy the hotel team are, the more relaxing is my stay.The Berystede did not appear a happy ship.Spa disappointing with out of order signs and un-mopped floors.
On the plus, food good at dinner and service efficient.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2019 via mobile

Just about everything else. Stayed for 3 nights in a single room, which outside of the UK don't exist. It was small and dark with the accompanying soundtrack of the bins being taken out.
I wasn't in the hotel much and to be honest was quite pleased as there were two wedding parties there.
Uber was available to travel round the locale, but I will go along with most of the reviews. An old hotel in need of an update.
However, hats off for the English breakfast, but not sure why the black pudding needed to be ordered separately.

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2019

We stayed here for 1 night and had a spa day also.
The room was tired and in need of a refurb and the bathroom was very small.
The food was nice but we were repeatedly over-charged in the restaurant. Firstly, prosecco we ordered was £28 on the menu, but £35 on the bill.
It was my birthday and we had a 1 course lunch, and then a piece of brownie and candle came out for me which I thought was a nice touch... Until the bill came and I was charged £6 for this!! Which is a shame we hadn't ordered it.
And again we ordered a side of chips which is £3 on the menu... But £5 on the bill. I felt uncomfortable to having to keep bringing up the discrepancies on every bill...
The Spa was nice but not enough loungers.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple