We spent three nights here with a little one in tow who was desperate to visit Windsor Castle and LEGOLAND. The hotel is very well located for all the surrounding attractions and you can get most places without having to get onto the motorways.
We had booked a family room which had a large clear space for the temporary bed, the bed itself being fairly large and of good quality. The bathroom was a but disappointing as it was really quite small but it was adequate. There is air con which was very welcome given the high temperatures and, overall, the room was fine.
My only real complaint was the sound proofing, both in terms of external noise and room to room. The windows are old metal frames and we could hear every movement outside, especially when someone had their car parked too close to their room and their mobile phone conversations were broadcast far and wide! Equally when the family next door burst into their room at 10pm every night, the noise was unbelievable. It's an old building and the communal areas look great but this would seriously make me think twice about returning.
There is a nice pool and the little one insisted on going every day. no matter how late me got back. Kid's swim times are 4pm-7pm and if you get in there bang on 4pm, you'll likely get it pretty empty. After 5pm the child quotient shoots up.
We ate in the bar and there is a reasonable child menu. The portions for the little ones were very generous although the adult portions were less so. Nevertheless, it suited us. If you fancy a night out, the Windmill pub is only a 2 minute drive away and the food there was very good indeed. The bar opens out onto a lovely terrace which is a really nice place for a quick drink.
The breakfasts were very good and staff always seemed to be filling up things as they emptied, even when it was very busy with a conference in progress.
The real piece de resistance is the staff. From the absolutely charming Canadian girl who checked us in right through to the excellent chap at breakfast time and everyone in between, they were cheerful, helpful and a joy to do business with.
I'm not sure if rooms in the main area of the hotel might be quieter (we were way at the back) but the noise issue was a biggie for us. I used to stay at McDonald Hotels when I worked and they all had one thing in common - fabulous old buildings but inadequate investment, particularly at individual room level. This was no different but the people helped to make up for the other shortcomings!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa in Ascot is a beautiful, accessible, four-star hotel near Windsor which is surrounded by amazing landscaped gardens. Ideal for accommodation during Royal Ascot, the hotel is the closest four-star hotel to Ascot Racecourse. Access to Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa is easy from nearby London Heathrow Airport and the facilities are designed to appeal to both business and leisure guests alike. Short break visitors to the area will find the hotel a short distance from popular attractions such as Legoland, Thorpe Park, Windsor Castle and Wentworth Golf Course. And following a day of adventure, back at the hotel, there is a state-of-the-art thermal spa with six spa treatment rooms, an 18-metre swimming pool, rock and infra red saunas and an outdoor hydropool. Perfect for resting weary legs. Our AA-rosette award-winning Hyperion Restaurant serves a range of contemporary English and European cuisine, carefully crafted dishes using the finest quality, wholesome ingredients. Sit back, relax and let us cook up a delight for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Berystede Hotel Sunninghill
- Macdonald Berystede Hotel And Spa
- Macdonald Berystede Ascot