Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Wheatsheaf Hotel(Virginia Water)
Hilton Bracknell(Bracknell)
  • Restaurant
2,307 results
All reviewsice roomthermal suitelovely hotelsalt roomoutdoor jacuzzihyperion restaurantevening mealsteam roomrestaurant staffcooked breakfasta lovely staybirthday treatbar and restaurantascot racesroyal ascottreatmentlegoland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Old fashioned hotel like a french chateau... Single rooms are very small but double rooms are comfortable... Excellent SPA and small fitness room are the privileges of the hotel.
Breakfast is serves as open buffet but with low variety... Same as restaurant menu, only few choices are applicable.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Alieacelina
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for reviewing your stay during February on Tripadvisor. We are currently completing a phased refurbishment of our restaurant, bar and lobby and with that we will be reviewing our dining offerings taking into account feedback from our guests such as yours. I hope you choose to return to stay with us again should you be staying in the local area.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and I booked with secret escapes. I booked the deal which came with a 2 course meal, B&B and a £10.00 per room reduction on pre booked treatments. I was contacted by the hotel offering an upgrade to a four course dinner for a small supplement, I am glad they called as neither their site or great escapes had notified me that I needed to book a precise time to eat, we were offered either 1900hrs or 2100hrs.
The room was very nice with standard 4 star amenities, the bathroom had been recently refurbished and was lovely That said it was dusty and the floor did not appear very clean. The meal was excellent and the service was efficient and not intrusive, we were impressed and tipped the waiter directly. Only comment to make was the cheeseboard came with only a couple of biscuits which resulted in cheese not being eaten, I suspect we could have asked for a couple more but did not.
We did not make use of the Spa or any other facilities.
The staff in general were great, friendly and helpful. My wife left her purse at reception and the lady walked all the way to the room to return it, she could have just called the room but didn't, which was a nice touch, she also set the heating in the room while she was there.
Breakfast service was slow from the start, we had to wait to be seated and there was quite a queue, we could have had a cooked meal but by the time someone came to take our order I had eaten the toast and some of the items from the continental buffet so did not want anything cooked, the staff were very friendly though.
The bill had a service charge for the restaurant and a supplement for the cheeseboard neither had been advised, the hotel did remove the items from the bill but the receptionist then asked if we wanted the £1.00 charity donation removed as well. We didn’t but the comment made us feel mean.
The setting was lovely and the room warm it was incredibly busy so feel this might explain why things were slow, criticism aside we would probably go again but not on valentine's night.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Quartermaster243

Thanks for your fair review of your stay over the Valentine weekend. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay, however I do aknowledge that in particular breakfast was very busy with the majority of the hotel choosing to eat within a one hour window which is not the norm causing delays which were too long and not acceptable. I would note that all supplements and service charges are printed on our dining menus and on any final receipts; however if you felt that this was not highlighted sufficiently I do apologise.

Thank you once again for you review and I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

The hotel itself is stunning and the spa facilities were lovely but the thermo pool is in need of a good deep clean. We had booked decor aroma envelopment treatment as advertised on the website (£72 pp) in advance of our stay. We arrived half an hour early at the spa which was lucky because we were advised declor treatments had been replaced with elmis. After explaining to the beautician we were wanting a body wrap we were informed the treatments were very similar just different products. Treatments were lovely however when checking out was shocked to be charged £85 each!! Very disappointed not to be informed that not only had the products changed but the price had also.
We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent, just a shame we had to wait 45 minutes before we even got our starter!!
Breakfast was also delicious but again a shame we had to wait over 40 minutes for a poached egg. Although we were happy to wait and appreciated how busy it was to see others come in eat a full English then leave before ours had arrived, I was disappointed with the rude response from the waitress when politely checking on our order. Unfortunately because of our experience we won't be returning but also won't be recommending. Shame because the hotel itself is lovely!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Cat_tuck

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us at the hotel. My sincere apologies that your expectations were not met and please be assured that the circumstances you describe have been shared with the wider team and utilised to enhance our processes and communication within the hotel.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stay in the hotel for a long relaxing weekend in February. The place is beautiful, a typical old-style English building, sorrounded by the green; the room is comfortable and clean, whit a great bed, a supplied mini-bar and the tv; also the bathroom is functional and clean.
The staff is great, polite and helpful.
The breakfast is typical English; the buffet is restrained but with valued products (butter and jam for example), and the English breakfast served directly from the kitchen is very good arranged.
The restaurant is high-grade, the dishes are refined, good presented, but almost tasty; the wine chart is inetrnational and good assorted.
The SPA is big and good mantained, the swimming pool is big enough to swim comfortably and the staff is polite and helpful
The place is convenient to visit Windsor, but in 50 minutes you can arrive at London with train. In the hall there is also some suggestions to visit neighbouring places.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank matteomenin
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for a great review of your stay. I am delighted you enjoyed youselves so much. Do visit and stay with us again soon.

Best Regards.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband booked the restaurant for Valentines night last night. Although the food was good the staff were a joke! We arrived, gave our names and were led straight to the table, when we ask about our coats he pointed at a coat stand & were told to put them there, he plonked 2 menus down & asked if we would like a drink, we ordered 2 glasses of pink champagne, some 15 minuted later a waitress appeared with 2 glasses of "sparkling wine" we explained that was not what we ordered to then be told they didn't do pink champagne by the glass, so we ordered a bottle, she reappeared to tell us they didn't have what we wanted but only the house was champagne available, we then changed to a bottle of Sancerre rose which when it arrived was corked and so was the replacement bottle, so we had to chose something else again. The smoked salmon arrived but there was no bread to accompany it, just two tiny crouton sized bits as decoration on the plate, we then waited over forty minutes for what should have been a sorbet which never materialised, as we watched everyone else get theirs and began to giggle at the incompetence of the waiting staff as they gave the wrong meals to the wrong tables and stood like dummies in the middle of the room with plates in hand waiting for direction to tables or walked back and forth asking tables if what they were holding was their dinners! Our main course then arrived having watched it walk around the dining hall, when I explained we hadn't had our sorbet I was asked if I wanted it at the same time as my dinner! When I said no, I was then told we would get it with our desert, need less to say, we didn't. We paid our bill and left and when driving out we needed a gate code, we stood in the gales and rain ringing the buzzer to ask for the code and when no one bothered to answer we had to go back into the hotel to find someone for the code, when asked why no one responds to the buzzer we were told it didn't ring in the hotel!! They also have four cameras on the gate!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lynn M

My sincere apologies for the experience you describe in our restaurant and our apparant lack of attention to detail on this occasion. Please do contact the hotel directly and I will be pleased to speak to you and deal with this situation personally.