“Should have been better...but......”

Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sunninghill
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Should have been better...but......”
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my nieces 30th birthday last year...on arrival check in was fast and efficient...our room allocation was in the newer uglier part of the hotel, but inside the rooms were to a high standard, but was such a long way from the facilities.
The spa is fantastic albeit not enough lounge chairs. 9 i think in total...for such a large hotel...
The treatments were of a high standard and the relaxation room was lovely, free fruit teas were a nice treat.
Dinner on the 2nd night was interesting, they kindly Putin the private dining area, however they kept forgetting about us, when we requested steak as our a main, they had run out of steak knives and there really wasn't anything they could do about it, so not good enough for a 4star....
However after mentioning to the management our dissatisfaction they dealt with our issues very well, but still my nieces special dinner was slightly marred by inattentive staff....
Having said that we have since been back and had a lovely relaxing time.....

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sean D, Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on your stay last year, it is great to see that although there was one small negative during dinner the rest of your stay lived up to your expectations.
I am pleased to see that since then you have taken the opportunity to revisit us and you were able to enjoy and relax here again.
I do hope you will again find the time for us to welcome you back to the Berystede in the very near future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We booked a one night break through Secret Escapes and thought the deal we got was great value for money.

The room was clean with a huge bed but the decor was a little dated and crammed with unnecessary furniture!

The swimming pool and leisure facilities were absolutely fantastic, particularly the heated outdoor jacuzzi and thermal suite. The website doesn't detail what the leisure facilities include but it should! The thermal suite in particular was amazing with a large steam room, 2 types of sauna, an ice igloo and 'experience' showers. Due to a lot of group spa day bookings we were unable to book in for a treatment (our deal also included a £10 spa voucher each) but the fact we could use the rest of the facilities more than made up for this.

Our 3 course dinner was a little disappointing. The food was served lukewarm and although the dishes looked impressive and were presented to a high standard some of the dishes didn't actually have that much flavour. Breakfast the next morning was a little better. I ordered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. The salmon was delicious but the eggs were again lukewarm and it didn't come with toast so I had to wait for this to come, making my dish cold by the time I came to eat it. My boyfriend however, ordered the full English and he couldn't rate it enough - even saying the black pudding was the best he's ever had! There was a huge choice of cold buffet and our coffee was continually topped up without having to ask.

The service throughout our stay was fantastic and the staff were very friendly and accommodating.

On the whole this was a great deal and was excellent value for money. I would recommend this hotel for the spa alone!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to feed back on your recent stay here at the Berystede Hotel.
I am pleased you enjoyed your experiences within the spa, we are blessed with some excellent facilities and a large variety, the thermal suite as you said is great and very popular.
I have forwarded your comments about your evening meal not being as hot as you would have liked to the chef and he sends his apologies but is pleased your partner enjoyed his black pudding, it originates from the Island of Stornaway on the north west coast of Scotland and i do agreed it is delicious.
Once again thank you for your comments and i do hope you will have the opportunity to return in the very near future.

Borden kent
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just returned from a weekend break at the above hotel - very disappointing. We had booked 2 rooms (prepaid) only to find only one room booked, we were then given 2 rooms only to be told 15minutes later once we had deposited bags that no infact you cant have this room we'll get you a better one - the next room was smaller than the last with a bathroom the size of a broom cupboard. The tranquil spa was busier than our local swimming baths and far from relaxing although the massages were good. Evening meal disgraceful given 9pm sitting (no choice available) Seated eventually 9.15pm starter arrived 9.45 still waiting for the bread and butter requested ordered bottle of wine 1st choice unavailable 2nd choice took 45 minutes b4 it arrived one member ordered her lamb steak well done arrived at table with blood oozing that got sent back the plates were boiling unfortunately the same could not be said for the food which was luke warm didn't send it back for fear of how long it would be b4 it returned dessert was the saving grace finally finished our meal at 11.15 the staff could not apologise enough but eventually that just gets annoying there seemed to be no leadership or urgency to rectify the problems. We were by no means in the minority everyone around was complaining. one couple next to us waited 2 hours for their main meal !!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sean D, Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you for leaving feed back on your recent stay here at the Berystede Hotel.
As I replied to your email i am sincerely sorry for the upset and disappointment your stay has caused you and your friends.
Your points are well made regarding the issues experienced and actions have been put in place to rectify them, the team are typically were efficient and I always normally get very positive feedback on everyone and indeed the facilities we offer.
I do hope you will have the opportunity to return to the Berystede to see and experience the hotel as it usually is.

Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Sunninghill hotels

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed for girlie spring spa special including d/b/b and spa treatment. On the whole a great weekend. Nice clean room overlooking car park at rear which did prove a little noisy when guests leaving late on Saturday night laughing and shouting. Dinner very tasty and well presented and service good, Olga did her best to help with any questions and very knowledgeable. Breakfast also very good, lots of choice and although restaurant was busy on the whole service fairly quick ( we had been prewarned of likelihood of busy breakfast time if coming down after 9am, which is always helpful). Spa was lovely, well set out but as usual at spa hotels could have done with more loungers and the relaxation room would take at least 2 more beds if the superfluous decorations/ornaments were removed. It's no so relaxing if there s no more space for you! My treatment was excellent value (therapist was Kay) and she was very friendly and helpful, felt great afterwards. Had lunch in the bar afterwards and again service was very good but prices were extortionate. Only real negative was the reception staff who we asked several very general questions to and they never seemed to know the answer or offer to find out for us and they also could not cope very well with amount of people checking out at requested time of 11am on the Sunday !

Dear Guest,

May i thank you for your feed back on your recent stay.
I am pleased that you had a great weekend, I have passed on your comments with regards to dinner and your kind words about Olga, she said they were much appreciated.
I am also pleased that you enjoyed your experience in the spa, Kay also wishes to express her thanks for your comments.
I have spoken to my front office manager about the lack of knowledge and he has taken this on board and is going to arrange training in the form of a general knowledge quiz on regularly asked questions for his team to swat up on.
I am sorry you had to wait during check out, 11am is as you said the required departure time and does on occasions lead to a queue.
I do hope that you will find the opportunity to return to the Berystede Hotel in the very near future.

Kindest regards
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just back from 1 night stay sat night booked as deal with secret escapes. Place was lovely, service and staff was excellent very friendly and polite ...spa and steam room very nice much better than expected ....only negative comment would be price of bar drinks but I guess it's a 4 star hotel so they will be a bit over the top ....overall great stay and would go back for sure

• Stayed April 2013
Sean D, Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving feed back on your recent stay.
I am pleased that we exceeded your expectations during your visit.
I have passed on your comments to the team and they are also pleased, it is always nice to get comments such as the staff are friendly and polite.
I am sorry though that you found the bar tarif to be a little over the top, we do regular visits with similar establishments in the area to ensure we are not over pricing our product, but your comments have been genuinely taken on board for when we review them.
Many thanks again for your feed back and i do hope we are able to welcome you back soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at Berystede over the week-end and I don't think i would like to come again. I have been to other two spas in Ascot area and Berystede is long way from their level of service.

I was disappointed with the fact that spa treatments were reduced in time because of the large number of visitors although full price was paid for them. Also the spa facilities such as outside tub and the main pool area are too small for the number of people the hotel hosts. When we came to the spa there were cleaners washing the floors, windows and other facilities at the same time we were using them.

The food is average and there is no proper arrangement to have lunch during day in case you want to stay in the hotel. However, the restaurant manager and one of the waitresses were very helpful and attentive throughout our stay.

Finally, the reception managed to miscalculate our bill twice, so we had to go and explain to them what should and should not be included.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feed back on your stay.
I am saddened to read that we did not meet up with your expectations, we do endeavor to ensure all of our guests go away after an excellent experience.
With regards to your comments on your treatments being shortened and i must sincerely apologise for this, i have spoken to my beauty manager to investigate and ensure this does not happen.
I have taken your comments on board about the size of the hydro pool and pool area it self and will use them when refurbishment is next planned.
I am sorry you were not informed about the selection of food and areas to enjoy them, we offer a variety including our popular bento box meal, we have a large selection on our bar and lounge menus, all can be taken were ever you feel most comfortable, and again my sincere apologies if this was not explained correctly.
I am sorry it took two attempts to organise your bill this is certainly not the final experience we wish our guests to have before leaving.
I have passed on your kind remarks to the restaurant manager who wishes to say a personal thank you and hopes you will have a change of mind and visit us again in the near future.

Wendover
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Booked through Secret Escapes - £135 for myself and my husband for 1 night stay, 3 course meal and breakfast. Was a bit apprehensive as seemed a good price as it also included use of the spa facilities. However I was pleasantly surprised. Bedroom was nice, bathroom was modern and clean. Bed was a little small as we are used to a king size so would upgrade next time from the standard room. Spa facilities were good, especially the outdoor pool. We didn't use the main pool although overheard some people complain that it was cold. Enjoyed the steam room etc too. Dinner was nice, this surprised me the most as it was part of the package and I was worried it would be sub standard. It was very nice and both my husband and I enjoyed our meals (although £5 for bottle water on our bill when we checked out felt a bit steep!). The service got slower throughout the evening however and was very slow at peak breakfast time the next morning - they need more restaurant staff. Overall - a nice stay and good food with the use of the spa facilities making it a relaxing break.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving feed back on your recent stay here at the Macdonald Berystede Hotel and Spa.
I am pleased that we exceeded your expectations, this is our main goal along with giving good quality service in all areas and producing a high standard of food using only the very best produce ensuring our guests have an enjoyable stay.
I am sorry that you experienced a slower service as the evening went on and during the peak time in breakfast, we do try extremely hard to ensure meals are served in a timely manner, unfortunately at times the service can slow a little due to all of our dishes served at dinner and breakfast are being freshly prepared to order.
Overall i am pleased that you had a nice stay and were able to relax.
I do hope you will be able to have the opportunity to return to the Berystede again in the near future.

Kindest regards
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunninghill
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Hilton Bracknell
Hilton Bracknell
#5 of 7 in Bracknell
Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Been to Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!