“Good value, nice stay”

Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sunninghill
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Booked through Secret Escapes - £135 for myself and my husband for 1 night stay, 3 course meal and breakfast. Was a bit apprehensive as seemed a good price as it also included use of the spa facilities. However I was pleasantly surprised. Bedroom was nice, bathroom was modern and clean. Bed was a little small as we are used to a king size so would upgrade next time from the standard room. Spa facilities were good, especially the outdoor pool. We didn't use the main pool although overheard some people complain that it was cold. Enjoyed the steam room etc too. Dinner was nice, this surprised me the most as it was part of the package and I was worried it would be sub standard. It was very nice and both my husband and I enjoyed our meals (although £5 for bottle water on our bill when we checked out felt a bit steep!). The service got slower throughout the evening however and was very slow at peak breakfast time the next morning - they need more restaurant staff. Overall - a nice stay and good food with the use of the spa facilities making it a relaxing break.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean D, Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving feed back on your recent stay here at the Macdonald Berystede Hotel and Spa.
I am pleased that we exceeded your expectations, this is our main goal along with giving good quality service in all areas and producing a high standard of food using only the very best produce ensuring our guests have an enjoyable stay.
I am sorry that you experienced a slower service as the evening went on and during the peak time in breakfast, we do try extremely hard to ensure meals are served in a timely manner, unfortunately at times the service can slow a little due to all of our dishes served at dinner and breakfast are being freshly prepared to order.
Overall i am pleased that you had a nice stay and were able to relax.
I do hope you will be able to have the opportunity to return to the Berystede again in the near future.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,241)

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I booked to stay here as a surprise birthday trip for my other half back in March through Secret Escapes, so included our evening meal for a good price. Our room was clean and comfortable we thought at first. It wasn't until I was looking for the hairdryer later that eveing that we discovered various items left in the bedside drawer from the previous occupants. So room not cleared and cleaned as much as we had hoped! Reception cleared away quickly on request and offered us champage at dinner as an apology which I thought was nice. The spa was average and a little bit dated. Highlight though was the outside hydrotherapy pool, this was lovely and warm and in a beautiful setting. Very relaxing! Dinner was interesting. The food was a bit over the top, and in my opinion not all the flavours went together. Unfortunately our main was cold and our side dish was delivered to another table. Also not a great deal of choice - although dinner was included we ended up paying a supplement on most of our choices. Breakfast however was delicious, the staff a little miserable though!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feed back on your stay in March.
Firstly please except my sincere apologies for the items that were left in your beside drawer, they were obviously not checked and emptied as normal, i have spoken to the housekeeper who wishes to be associated with my own apologies.
I am pleased that you found the hydro pool enjoyable, as you said it is in a lovely setting.
I am saddened to read that you did not find our menu to your taste, we as a rule get very good feed back, i have taken your comments on board and will use them when the menu is changed for the next season.
Once again, thank you for your feed back and i do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the very near future.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was the 2nd time we have stayed here on a spa break. First time was ok, but few bits of the spa were out of order and room was fairly noisy. We were invited to come back again and we had a wonderful stay this time. The deal for room, dinner, breakfast, spa treatments was very good value I felt and well worth it as a treat.

The hotel was full with a few large groups, but the spa wasn't too busy and we had a lovely relaxing afternoon in there and a couple of treatments which were very nice.

Our room was wonderful in the old part of the house, there can be noise from the people in reception but by the time we went to bed everyone had disappeared. The feature room was very large and comfortable.

Both times I have stayed here we have had a great dinner. Both myself and partner was very pleased and the waiting staff were very attentive at the dinner service. Breakfast was a little more hectic as the hotel was full, but the cooked breakfast had some quality ingredients and was good. Service was a little busy and we gave up asking for more tea.

Even though we checked out you are allowed to use the spa so we returned again for a final sauna/swim before leaving.

Very relaxing stay and good food.

Dear Guest,

Thank your for taking the time to leave feed back on your recent stay here at the Macdonald Berystede Hotel.
I am pleased you have been able to make a return trip to us and also that you found your stay to be a good one.
Your comments have been passed on to the team and have been warmly welcomed, i do hope you will be able to come and visit us again and enjoy the peace and quiet you enjoyed this time.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I have just enjoyed a wonderful weekend at your hotel.
Excellent staff and superb cuisine, enjoying a lovely meal on the saturday followed by breakfast
sunday morning and then my wife enjoying the facilities of your spa.
May I thank you all and will no hesitation in returning.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for finding the time to leave feed back on your recent stay.
I have passed on your kind remarks to the team and do hope that you have the opportunity to return and enjoy some more of the same again in the very near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed here recently on a "work" event and whilst the hotel was of a good standard I could safetly say that nothing stood out as exceptional.
Hotel car parking split over different levels and I had to park right near the conference centre entrance and that was quite a walk to main reception to check in. Once I had checked in my bedroom was then another walk away back towards the car park where I had just come from!
Staff were friendly sand polite espeically staff in the restaurant and bar.
Bedroom was large, spacious and clean. Lampshade by bed was slightly damaged on the inside and the shower door did not shut properly. However it was great to have a large free standing shower and a bath. The wardrobe was opposite the bathroom door meaning it was quite narrow to squeeze past and the floor to length mirrors were pointless as you could not stand far anough back to view yourself.
Food fine, service fine, bedroom and facilities all fine - just not amazing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Sean D, Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give feed back on your recent stay here at the Berystede Hotel.
I am pleased that you found the hotel to be a good standard throughout and the team to be friendly and polite.
I am though sorry about some the parking areas being a walk from the hotel, because of the lie of the land we have used the areas available.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had spent the day at nearby Pennyhill Park in the spa there, but had baulked at the nearly £300 “room only” rate for a room at that hotel for the night….Instead we opted for a Secrets Escapes deal just down the road at Berystede Park of £134 for dinner, bed and breakfast. To be honest we weren’t expecting too much (certainly not in comparison to the swanky Pennyhill Park) and Berystede certainly cannot compete in terms of luxury. But what it does offer is a good standard of accommodation with nicely refurbished bathrooms, very acceptable meals in the restaurant and great service from a mostly young and very enthusiastic team. We checked in after arriving from the Pennyhill Spa and were shown to a pleasant enough room with a queen sized bed, a flat screen TV with most of the usual Freeview channels, mini bar and tea and coffee making facilities – nothing especially fancy, but everything you need. Included in our rate was a 3 course dinner in the Hyperion Restaurant (1 AA Rosette) which was very nicely presented and reasonable quality. The wine list was sensibly priced and had one or two surprising wines amid the usual suspects. The restaurant itself is a very large space and lacks character. It feels like a conference hotel cafeteria, which I guess is what it is used for most of the time. Tablecloths might have helped this a bit, but I guess there’s not too much you can do about the size of the space…Service at dinner was great with the young staff looking after us very well. Breakfast next morning was a cold buffet and prepared hot dishes. The freshly cooked items were very nice, but the toast came after we’d finished the meal which was a shame. Checkout was quick and unfussy and on the whole I thought this was a great value option. Would stay again on another deal…

Room Tip: Check bed sizes on booking if you want a king sized bed

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give feed back on your recent stay.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and found the accommodation to be of a good standard, i have passed on your comments to the team and they are also pleased that the service they provided was good and they looked after you well.
I do hope in the near future you will have the opportunity to visit us again and enjoy more of the same.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We booked a saturday night, Dinner,bed and breakfast, first impressions of the hotel were excellent and nicely presented. We checked in and were asked if we had booked a table for dinner, we advised them we had booked DBB however were told they had not booked a table for us and the only times left were 9.15pm or 9.30pm! As we had no choice we took 9.15pm and decided to relax.
The room was nice, large bathroom although the bedroom was a little small. We used the leisure club which was really good, the outdoor pool was excellent and we enjoyed the thermal suite. As we were eating late we decided to have pre dinner drinks - very expensive! but perhaps what you expect of a hotel in this location. We sat for dinner at 9.15 really looking to our dinner, the service was good but very rushed! We had finnished 3 courses within 45 minutes and if we are honest the food was very bland...the presentation was well thought out but the food lacked any flavour and overall disappointing.
Breakfast the next morning was good the breakfast is cooked to order and was very hot and tasty...must have been a better chef than the previous night!!!!!.....Be aware this hotel charges you for using a credit card, I would recommend using a debit card if possible, there were guests complaining about this during our stay.
we would not choose to stay at this hotel again but were glad we got to try out the leisure centre.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean D, Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give feed back on your recent stay here at the Berystede Hotel.
It is vital that we receive feed back whether it be negative or positive.
I have spoken to the restaurant manager with reference you comments on your dining experience being rushed, he wishes to pass on his sincere apologies, it is certainly not the way he wishes his guests to feel, i have also passed on your comments to the chef, he also wishes me to pass on his personal apologies for your findings and he will certainly look in to them to ensure this is not the feed back we receive again.
I am though pleased that you found our breakfast offering to be hot and tasty and to your liking.
As you commented, most companies do have a nominal charge for using a credit card, Macdonald Hotels have taken the choice of showing this charge and not hiding it within the room rate and giving the option to use a debit card, i am sorry that this is not what you expected.
I do hope you will change your mind and visit us again in the future to be able to see and experience what the Berystede is normally like.

Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunninghill
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
#5 of 5 in Ascot
2 mi away
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Been to Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!