“A great weekend”

Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sunninghill
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed here in November for a girls weekend. We did a two night package which was excellent value. The food was excellent, and the service really good. We went to Ascot for a days racing on the Saturday, and had a spa afternoon on the Friday. The treatments were fab, and the outside hot tub spacious and warm under the November sky.
We had executive rooms which were adjoining. They were spacious and comfortable.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, and hope to stay there again at some time

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Sean D, Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you and your girl friends enjoyed their weekend away here at the Berystede Hotel.
Ascot is great partner of the hotel and many guests as you did enjoy staying with us and visiting the course for a days racing.
I am also pleased that you managed to take advantage of the spa and had a chance to be pampered with one of a choice of treatments.
Please except my thanks for giving us your feed back and i do hope you and your friends will be able to visit us again in the future.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,262)

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I booked for my partner and I and one other couple for a one-night (Saturday) stay to catch up. Our aim was to park up, use all that the hotel had to offer, and leave late Sunday morning. We booked via the Macdonald Hotels call centre as I wanted to check out if they had any large parties booked in during our stay (first weekend in December) and to confirm the restaurant would be available. The call centre was great, they rang back after checking everything out with the hotel and allocated rooms further away from the main building (we asked for quiet rooms). The price we got could not have been beaten on the web, I tried. Check in was easy and we were able to take the room early. We were also invited to stay to use the spa facilities after check out the following day, until about 4pm.

The service in the bar was very slow but there was only one member of staff working over the lunch time. The bar prices are steep and there is little ambiance in what could be a lovely room were it not furnished and laid out like a lounge in a nursing home.

The Spa was a bonus and swim things only went into the bag 'just in case'. How fortunate we did as we visited twice and made good use of the various steam, sauna, shower and swimming pool facilities.

The food in the resturant was very good but service again was very 'relaxed'. One member of staff who visited our table clearly thought he was much more entertaining, through his self deprication, than he actually was but we saw little of him.

Breakfast service was very good and had a very broad offer.

Rooms were comfortable, clean and provided just what we needed and maybe a little more - tea and coffee making, iron and ironing board in room etc. Slept well, quiet room overlooking the back of the hotel and car park - the alternative seems to be a road that runs alongside the building.

We'll probably use the hotel again but will lunch elsewhere before we check-in and take a hip flask!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the rear car park are quieter.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending the time to leave valuable feed back, with this we can endeavor to move our service and standards further upwards.
I was disappointed to read that you found the service in our bar to be slow and the ambiance lacking.
The bar during the day is usually very quiet as the majority of our guests are either in the spa or visiting local attractions, this gives any other guests that use the bar time enjoy a little peace and quiet in what the Edwardian styled part of the property.
With reference to your comments on the prices of our bar servings, i personally on a regular basis look at our competitors with in similar four star hotels to ensure that we stay with in the average and i am sorry that you found our price range a little steep.
I have passed your comments on to the team as a whole and they are please that you enjoyed your experiences in the restaurant and the spa and found your room to be comfortable.
I do hope you will be able to return to the Berystede in the very near future and take advantage of enjoying what the hotel has to offer once again.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was very disappointed with the Spa. We chose this Spa because it had disabled facilities and as a disabled person it seemed a good place to go.
However it was not what we expected of a Spa. It seemed to have most of the facilites of a Spa, but was quite dismal.
One of the steam rooms was out of order, the swimming pool was cold. The most disappointing thing was that the Jacuzzi did not work and the water in it was luke warm and it was not warm enough to go into the outside thermal pool where the Jauzzi did work. The staff did say that they had had a problem with the Jacuzzi the day before and it had not had time to warm up properly from the problem the previous day.
This however did not help as we were only supposed to be there for the day.
I am not sure what one is expected to do for a day there as sitting around the pool was not an attractive option, and you can only spend so much time in a steam room or a luke warm Jacuzzi or cold swimming pool.
Perhaps it might be better in the summer when one could go outside. But I don't think I will be trying it.
My husband quite rightly said that we could get all of this at our own gym where everyhting works.
One thing however is that the staff were all very nice and helpful.

1  Thank ExoticBerkshire

Dear Guest,

I am sorry you found your visit to our spa disappointing, the outside hydro pool as you said was unfortunately not holding to the correct temperature over the Christmas period and therefore not suitable to sit in, when we did get it repaired it took several days to reach the optimum temperature.
I am also sorry you found the swimming pool not to be at a comfortable temperature for you, on checking our records i found it to be at the usual temperature we keep it at.
I am also saddened to see that you were not able to use one of the two steam rooms, unfortunately there was a fault that needed the manufacturer to fix and this did take 24hrs to do. I do hope though you were able to take advantage of the second steam room and two saunas and of course our very popular ice room.
We do endeavour to ensure all of our guests leave our spa feeling relaxed and having enjoyed the experience and i do sincerely apologise for you not feeling this way.
I do hope this will not detere you from returning to the Berystede hotel in the near future and sample our usual guests eperiences.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I couldn't fault my stay here. Reviews are mixed here but I tend to focus on the positive. Great bar meal, drinks, cockails, living in London, price was fine, great nights sleep, room lovely, didn't notice traffic noise or other guests or music but it was a Tuesday. I always appreciate a bottle of water, everything worked and it was very clean. Breakfast was great, good selection and hot. Service from all staff was fantastic, very friendly and helpful. Loved the pool, I swim a lot and this is where I tend to be critical but it was a good length for a hotel, clean and not ridiculously overheated, perfect. Loved the outdoor pool/hot tube and ice room. Would definitely stay again, often stay en route home from Reading in hotels and this is my favourite so far, loved the style too. It was on an offer which I guess always helps. If I had to find fault, the salt room was not working but there were so many other rooms to try, this was not a problem. The bar had run out of peach so no Bellini - but loved the other cocktails available so not a problem, maybe if paying full price I would have been a little more upset but overall great relaxing stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean D, Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to feed back to us, as i always say it is extremeley vital we receive it to ensure we continue to move forward with the service and product we give.
I am pleased that you could not find fault with your stay, it is always good to hear this.
I have passed on your comments to the team and they are also glad you enjoyed your visit, the hard work they do being appreciated always lifts moral and sets them up to move to the next stage.
I do wish you and very merry christmas and hope to see you again in the new year.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

The hotel is in a great location with good access to London via train and close to Ascot Race Course. The rooms are a good size and it is located in an impressive building. However the service was slow (if you could find anybody to serve you), breakfast just finshed early without any warning and the bar ran out of drinks.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the road as the windows do not have any secondary glazing.

Dear Guest,
I am pleased that you found the hotel to have good access and the room to be to your liking.
I do apologise you found the service to be slow and that breakfast finished early, our breakfast times are from 7am until 930 am during the week and are normally sufficient, but there is never any rush for our guests to finish breakfast and i am sorry if you found this was the case.
With reference to the beverage selection, i must sincerly apologise if we could not accommodate to your tastes, we do stock a large selection but on occasions we do run out of items and i am sorry if this was one of them.
I do hope that in the future if your business allows you have the chance to visit us again.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We attended a Christmas party at the hotel so we made a weekend of it .We got a very good rate for a huge turret room (360)and it had a good view of the large garden.Check in was very efficient and fast with a welcome offer of assistance with our bags up two flights of stairs as the lift was out-of-order.
Breakfast was good with a large selection of fruit and cereals at a buffet.The hot breakfast was OK but on the first morning ,it arrived before we'd finished our cereal !The bacon was like leather too,like it had been hanging around in the kitchen waiting to be served up.The second morning,the food was well cooked and hot
We used the spa facilities and found them improved from our last stay.The pool is good with a thermal outdoor jacuzzi .Indoors the sauna and steam room have been renovated which it needed.
The party went well with good service and very nice food but the bar was a bit pricey.
Overall,the weekend went well and we'll definitely be back

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feed back, it is imperative that we received it weather it is negative or positive, the team work very hard to ensure that our guests enjoy there stay.
I noticed as i do, you like room 360, i must say it is a favorite with many of our guests and tends to be booked up in advance, i am pleased you had the opportunity to stay in it.
I am sorry that you found the bacon to be over cooked on your first morning but glad you found our breakfast offering to be to your liking on the second, i have spoken to the chef and he assures me leathery bacon will not occur again.
I am happy that you noticed the improvements within the spa area, we have and still are investing in the entire hotel but especially in the spa.
We have had so far a good Christmas and many good comments about the parties people have attended and i am pleased you enjoyed yours.
I do wish you a very merry Christmas and hope you find the time to return soon.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

we recently stayed here for the weekend and were very impressed with the hotel, rooms, staff and restaurant. All very clean, welcoming staff and great spa. They have different relaxation rooms, which are very good. It can get quite busy on weekends as they offer spa breaks but luckily it was quieter on the Monday.

Dear Guest,

Please except my thanks for taking the time to leave feed back, without this we are unable to improve service we are giving and product we have, it is always nice to pass these comments on to the team.
I am pleased you found the spa to your liking and enjoyed the peace and quiet.
I do hope you will be able to take the opportunity to return to visit again in the very near future.

Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunninghill
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 19 in Windsor

Been to Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!