“Lovely spa and grounds, adequate service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sunninghill
GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“Lovely spa and grounds, adequate service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed for a couple of nights.

On the plus side, the health club and spa is lovely. There is a reasonable sized swimming pool, a really nice outdoor jacuzzi, a sauna, two steam rooms and an cold room. I didn't use the gym. The grounds are really nice, with plenty of space to wander about.

I had booked a room for £120 and this was in the 1970s block. It had a weak WiFi signal, but was otherwise fine. You can drive around and park nearby, rather than lugging your bags from the car park near reception.

I was less pleased with the service. I had breakfast on one day. There were quite a lot of staff in the room, but it took 20 minutes get a coffee and cooked breakfast, and when it came out, the baked beans had a dried crust on the top.

I then checked out. I was the only one at the desk, but the one receptionist was doing something else for a minute. The car park has a gate which is locked, and you need a key code to get out. I wasn't given this code when I checked out, and then they didn't answer the buzzer on the intercom near the gate. I had to park my car away from the gate and go back into reception. I had paid for the room in advance, but they had taken a £150 charge on my credit card in case of bills on the mini bar and room service. They didn't refund this charge until I chased them up about it a week later. It then took another week before the refund went onto my credit card.

I wouldn't mind too much with any one of these problems on their own, but all together, they left a sour taste. Its not a cheap hotel. They should have more reception staff at 8.45am, and the ones that they do have should be more careful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sean D, Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear asdaslkdasd,
Thank you for your feed back on your recent visit here at the Macdonald Berystede Hotel.
I was upset to see that parts of your stay did not meet up to your expectations.
Our breakfasts are usually favorably commented upon for the freshly prepared to order products that we serve and not that they took twenty minutes to prepare so please except my sincere apologies for that.
With regards to the hotel gates being closed and the code not passed on, the code is usually printed on the key card you are given that you signed on check in, so to be available for you use through out your stay, i am sorry if this was not the case.
The deposit taken from your card as you said is for any incidentals that you use and after you check out any amount not used is refunded, this is done when the end of the shift is reached the team print of the information and it is faxed to the particular bank or lender, it is then the bank or lender refund the card, this can as you have found take time and i apologise for this, we do not keep our guest funds a minute longer than we have to but by the time the bank or lender have process it can take between five and ten day depending on the bank or lender.
I am pleased that you found the spa to your liking, i do agree the out side jacuzzi is really nice and hopefully on your next visit you will have the time to use some of the extensive equipment with in the gym area.

Kindest regards
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

The spa area and the hotel belong to different worlds. The hotel corridors are really quite grotty and although the room decor is OK , the beds reasonably comfortable and the bathrooms quite modern (and tiny), there always seem to be stains on the soft furnishings. Our room had really obvious marks on the curtains and the walls which is inexcusable in a 4 star property. We visited in early October and the heating had not been turned on so the room was quite cold when we arrived. There was an individual reverse cycle unit in the room which seemed to bring the temperature up a bit.The view was over a delivery area and as a truck backed up towards the window it sounded as if an alarm was sounding in the room. Only a few minutes later the fire alarm was sounding in the room and when I called reception to find out if there was a fire I was told that the alarms are tested every Monday at 10.30. It might have been good to warn the guests in advance? At this point I was getting a bit frustrated as I was trying to rest so I hung the "Do Not Disturb" sign outside the room to avoid further interruption. Only a few minutes later someone knocked on the door and came straight in. Hence my comment, "not the location for a quiet break" but this was possibly just unlucky. Overall I think rooms in the main building are much quieter. Try and avoid rooms in the 70s annexe especially those which face the road which is very busy. My recommendation is to spend as much time in the spa as possible and eat in the main restaurant where the food is normally excellent. The bar food is also quite good but very pricey.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Frequentflyerlondon,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, all feed back is very valuable to us and i am saddened to see your stay did not meet your expectations please except my sincere apologies for this.
We are continuously striving to ensure the fabric of the hotel is kept in first class condition and after reading your comments we have rectified the issues with in the room.
With regards to the fire alarm test we place notification on our reception desk on the day and the day before and in the bedroom compendium to inform our guests and i am sorry you never saw this.
The heating system with in the bedrooms is normally very good and we receive positive feed back on how nice and warm the hotel always is, but we do endeavour to be a green hotel and not have them switched on untill the guest arrives, this is something that we must look at to ensure we continue to make our guests comfortable from the moment they arrive.
As a frequent hotel guest i do hope you will come and visit us again.

Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here for one night whilst my partner was working locally. I made good use of the Spa facilities, the pool area was very clean and the staff were both helpful and friendly however to access the Spa through the hotel was rather tricky as there was a conference going on downstairs and so I would recommend access via the outside entrance. The lift was broken throughout our stay which was rather inconvenient when checking out with numerous bags and the fact that we were on the second floor but really that is the only complaint that I have about our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sheilalou,
Thank you for your feed back, it is wonderful to here you had a lovely stay and enjoyed the spa facilities here at the Macdonald Berystede Hotel, the lift was unavoidably not working for your stay but is now in full working order and hopefully will be for when your partner is working in the area once more for you to take advantage of the spa again.

Sherborne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Have just had an amazing spa break at this hotel and would highly recommend the whole experience. Stayed here for one night on a Girly Break to celebrate birthdays and my forthcoming wedding. The spa facilities were fantastic, the hydro pool being the highlight for me. The treatments were great, loved the relaxation room and the staff were always so friendly. The hotel room was spotless, bathroom a bit on the small side but equally spotless. Food was of a very high standard with an amazing selection for breakfast, cannot fault this hotel at all and already considering a return visit!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear 997Ellie21
Thank you for your kind feedback, we are very grateful and i will pass them on to the team, it is always very up lifting to receive positive feed comments and we will endeavour to continue giving the service you and our guests expect.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Have just returned from a fantastic weekend here for our son's wedding. As we had our grand-daughter with us we were lucky enough to be given a very spacious suite in the older part of the hotel, which was first-class. OK, the paintwork needed freshening up, but the quality and cleanliness of the room was excellent, it was like staying in someone's country home. We found the staff to be really helpful, nothing seemed too much trouble for them, which having been in many so-called 4 star hotels believe me is not always the case!!

We had a special family meal on the eve of the wedding, the hotel had designated a quiet, private area off the main dining room for us, which was much appreciated, and the staff and food were wonderful. We had already taken advantage of the pools, particularly enjoyed the outdoor jacuzzi - so warm! There was an extensive selection for breakfast the next morning - I particularly liked the home-made yogurt and the beautifully scrambled eggs ( a sure sign of a kitchen staff who take trouble with their food!) - a mix of help-yourself buffet and hot dishes cooked to order.

The actual wedding venue was lovely - again nothing was too much trouble for the staff, and the fantastic wedding meal was served discreetly and efficiently. My son, having been in the hotel business himself, can be uber-critical of such events and I was waiting for the moans to begin - especially as this was his own wedding! But there was no need - he and his beautiful new wife were thrilled with the whole event and none of us can thank everyone involved enough for making it such a special occasion - thank you so much!

Room Tip: Second floor in the older part: spacious rooms, very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sue 657
Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay here at the Berystede Hotel.
I am pleased that your sons wedding went well and was extremely happy to be able to ensure a fellow hoteliers special day went well, i realise how particular we can be when on the other side of the service.
Please pass on our congratulations once more to the happy couple and hope to welcome you all back in the very near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have been staying at this hotel 5 - 6 years and normally its excellant, however, we have been twice in 2 months and beleive it has gone dramatically down hill! Breakfast was sent to our room with 10 jam/honey jars,1 litre ketchup, asked for well done fried eggs recieved boiled eggs, no salt or peppers, cold breakfast, cold tea. We stayed for 2 nights and they took soap and flannels and not replaced. No tea bags!! We have stayed at a few spa hotels and the spa here is one of the best however I am not impressed with the room service.

Room Tip: Check your room service orders is correct!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Paul C
Thank you for leaving your comments, i was upset to see that one of our strongest areas of service here at the Berystede had let you down.
Our room service and especially our breakfast is renowned to be the best and i usually receive positive feed back about it.
Therefore may i sincerely apologise for not meeting your expectations and promise you that this will be looked in to and rectified immediately.

Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Clean, friendly staff and good decor. Food is generally good and the breakfasts have a wide selection. Great conference facilities. Second time I have stayed here. The only downside was the small bedroom and pricey bar.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Rural-Traveller.
Thanyou for your feed back, your comments are very welcome and help us to continuously improve our product and our service.
I have passed on your comments on to the team and they are grateful.
The bar prices are checked against our local competitors regularly and we endevour to keep them fair and mirror the service that we provide, this will be on the agenda for our next management meeting to discuss and act upon where necessary.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunninghill
Royal Berkshire Hotel
Royal Berkshire Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sunninghill
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa

Been to Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!