“Luxury prices without..."luxury"”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Soliman Bay
Dallas, Texas
“Luxury prices without..."luxury"”
Reviewed December 20, 2010

My new husband and I came to Tulum for our Honeymoon. We wanted to split our visit between 2 hotels for the 6 night stay so as to see different sides of Tulum. I'm so glad we were only limited to 3 nights at Jashita. We would have left a day earlier but unfortunately our room was paid for in full.

Jashita is like staying at someones house who you don't know and it was very awkward all of the time. Upon arrival there was a half naked photoshoot for a German magazine happening in the lobby. We literally had to shimmy by and step over equipment to see the rest of the hotel. I have to say that this started that "awkward" vibe. It felt like we were crashing someones party. The entire time we were there they had the "good" tables at night and took over th small beach for their grilling party. It was obnoxious and invasive. At the hotel I work at there is a no professional photography policy because we don't want guests to feel like they're invading a space and we want them to feel comfortable to have a good time. For as luxurious and secluded Jashita makes itself sound it was not that experience at all.

There was also a property being built next door so every morning began with hammering and drills. This all would have been alright if the hotel had been more accomodating about it but alas we were the last priorities on their list. There was hammering at 7am, 2pm and all till it was too dark to work outside.

Jashita's website gives a very "luxury" feel on the website but the amenities are not very luxurious. For instance the mini bar in the room consists of 2 cokes, 2 beers and water. and no room service. When we asked to order something from the restaurant and if we could take it to our room they looked at us like we were talking gibberish. Now, I work front desk at a very popular hotel and while I don't expect everyone to have amenities like ours I at least expect a fridge that keeps things cold! The fridge was barely cold.

The "famous" restaurant was very disappointing. Tasty food came at a serious price and it wasn't available after 10pm. Jashita is about a 15min cab ride from Tulum and any proper beaches. We were literally stuck there with nothing to do. No room service. No bar. No beach to swim in. We didn't even want to hang out in the lounge it felt so awkward. The kitchen staff was friendly enough but they don't have very good proceedure down. I ordered coffee one morning and the waiter told me he would put a splash of bailey's in it complimentary. I only agreed when he said it was on Jashita. It turns out he misspoke and managment got upset with him. But INSTEAD of taking responsibilty for their staff they came up to our room after breakfast to retrieve payment for the Bailey's. It was very offensive.

We finally had to take a $10 taxi ride to town to get snacks at a grocery store since the minibar was horrible and there was no room service. We hoped that we could at least just hang out on the beach our 2nd day and relax. The beach was the biggest disappointment. The beach is covered with seaweed.

Do not stay here if you have any interest in wadding out into the water for a swim. Unless you would like to step on rocks and get cut up with coral reef. There is a reason there aren't any good pictures of the beach on their website. We had to kayake out into the ocean in order to find any decent swimming.

I love boutique hotel and I work at one and this one was more like a weird guest house. They made no apologies for the constant construction, the being bombarded with a photoshoot, and we were left high and dry. And there was only someone at the front desk when they were expecting an arrival or departure. If you have any questions before then-goodluck.

It's a small property and while it might have a few rooms the property is really only big enough for 1 group of people.

Jashita is pretty, private and very new. They have a lot of work to do and a lot of kinks to iron out before they call themselves luxury.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
17 Thank JMGarmon
JASHITAHOTEL, Manager at Hotel Jashita, responded to this review, January 16, 2011
We appreciate your feedback and review on your recent stay with us.
We pride ourselves on providing one-of-a-kind experiences for our guests, and do apologize that the stay did not meet your full expectations.

Regarding your comment about luxury you should kindly consider that we have suites from usd 1.150.- to double bedrooms for usd for 140.-
The double bedroom you choose in low season had a special offer on your booking time, 30% discount for any possible inconvenience for new opening.
Luxury prices without..."luxury" ? The rate you paid was Usd 60.- per person Tax included, breakfast included, beach facilities and Kayak included. Luxury price ?
Nevertheless we would have appreciated if you had told us at the time your complaints , for sure we would have done our best to solve any problems.

Regarding your considerations on the beach maybe you missed the pictures of it ,we kindly suggest you to check the photos on our web page taken from the air,we think they explain enough. The rocks you mention are in fact corals, full of sea life. Rocks are something different.
After your suggestion we implemented our website with a new picture from the beach.

Sincerely
Jashita Hotel Managment

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Dublin
Reviewed December 17, 2010

We stayed at this hotel initially for 3 nights and loved it so much we stayed an extra night. The setting of the hotel may not be for everyone as it's quite secluded - but this just added to its appeal for us. My husband is not a fan of "beach" holidays, but was converted in this instance by the natural beauty of the bay and the pristine beach and water. The hotel is still getting established so there were some minor glitches such a leak in the hot tub which necessitated us changing rooms and no hot water in the room on one evening. However, the staff dealt with these issues in a very professional manner and it didn't impact our stay. Definitely a place we would return to!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I had never been to Tulum and was worried that we would end up in either a very large nightmare of a hotel or in the smaller but still very "touristy" inns in the area.
After a lot of research I found Jashita and I am so glad I did, this small boutique hotel is not only very stylish and comfortable but ideally located on the beach in one of the more wind protected bays.
The owners and the staff were all incredibly helpful and professional with out being intrusive, we felt that they took great care of us and the rooms were always in perfect order.
In the rooms you will find flat screen TV and a fridge, not to mention exotic fruits as a welcome gift on your first day.
The beach was beautiful, the pool is a perfect size, the food was very good and they can make some lovely drinks!
I was particularly partial to the "Elle Decor" look of the place which was soothing, elegant and relaxing.
Enjoy this place as it will not be a secret for long!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Myself and 2 friends stayed at jashita in Tulum. We were looking for a boutique hotel and Jashita ticked that box. The hotel was not entirely finished and we were told this. So there were a few things missing, like a tv in the room, but they got me a tv that had newly arrived, but then it did not work as the satellite failed.. But they did try! It did not bother me too much as i watch too much tv anyway!
The rooms were very nice and i had a great terrace with an out door bath shower as well.. The food was great, but in general as with my stay on the east coast of Mexico, it was hard to find food from Mexico! But we had some great meals there.
The beach is wonderful, although, again they were building bamboo sun shades whilst we were trying to relax, but we did not mind too much, but im sure others would..
The place was very very quiet, so if you are looking to relax, this is it. I had the most wonderful massage as well, i recommend it. The only one major criticism i have, is that when you are in a hotel, you want to be served. Jashita could of made a lot more money out of us, by just asking if we wanted anything whist we were relaxing on the beach. Me and my buddies can drink! But we dont want to walk into the hotel every half hour and ask for a drink. They did realise this after a few days (we hinted..) So all good.
The place was new and the owners/ management/ staff were great and very friendly. I think they will do well there and i wish them all the luck in the future.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I stay for 4 days with my wife and it honestly was the best experience ive ever had. The hotel is absolutely beautiful, looks just like the picture on their website but better. I stayed in the ocean deluxe on second floor and the view is indescribable. it was perfect, to the point were you could actually see the beach, while laying on the bed! The service was great, every time id leave or step out my room, the bed would be made, new towels, and etc. i actually met the owner's son and wife, they were so very kind. they showed me how to get around, what to see, and were to go. Downstairs they have a restaurant, AMAZING food and mojito's. I cant wait to visit again!! Have zero complaints would recommend to anyone looking for a very peaceful, romantic atmosphere!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I stayed for 5 nights-what an enchanting experience I had. The hotel is just as it is in the pictures on its website...beautiful, tranquil, and mostly every design detail accounted for. A mixture of soulful house, Mediterranean harmonics played throughout the day all thru the hotel, even by the pool. I booked the ROH garden room, but was upgraded to an exclusive suite overlooking the ocean on my 3rd day...a lovely & generous gesture for being Jashita's first guest. All of the staff, including owner Tomas & his wife Roberta, were utmost attentive and genuinely warm. I felt more like a friend welcomed into a gorgeous villa rather than a foreign visitor. David in Sahara Cafe, their Mediterranean restaurant, attended to my every gastronomic desire - making perfectly balanced Mojitos, Ginger Gin & Tonics and whatever else I wanted. Carlos arranged my breakfast each day the night before, asking where I would like to have it as well as what time. And David prepared my table with a vase of fresh flowers and a little gem from the sea each day. The area is very private, a small community & unspoiled, as Jashita is the only hotel...the rest of the villas in the bay are privately owned & rented as vacation homes. The residents here are vigilant about protecting the area and the marine life as it's a reef. I pray Jashita & the area stays the way it is- exclusive, and doesn't become "mainstream" or over-run w/ Americans. This is THE place for privacy and classic sophistication. Not the place for partying...it's quite sleepy once the sun goes down. I would say the only things that could be improved is the food/menu at Sahara and the hotel's payment process. The food could definitely be more innovative...or it wasn't executed as such. The payment process was complicated - having to remit 4 payments...deposit, cash, and 2 card charges. I guess it's a small hassle if there had to be one...but I don't think it's necessary..it could definitely be streamlined. I hope this feedback helps them to set it up properly.
Lastly, I also hope they maintain the property...and it's still in pristine condition years from now. Overall, my entire experience was 6-star! I can't wait to return in a few months!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Cabanas Tulum
Cabanas Tulum
#12 of 96 in Tulum
El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Jashita? Share your experiences!