“Truly amazing, but with a few nagging flaws”
Review of Hotel Jashita

Hotel Jashita
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Soliman Bay
Athens, GA
“Truly amazing, but with a few nagging flaws”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Hotel Jashita really is a unique experience, unlike any other hotel. My wife and I stayed here for four nights in July 2012 for part of our honeymoon. We booked the Nefertiti room and it was amazing. The two decks were stunning. The view was better than we had even hoped for. The staff had a bottle of champagne waiting for us with chocolates when we arrived in our room. They also stood there watching us while we drank the champagne and ate the chocolates which was a little awkward.

The beach was as described below. We had water shoes which made all the difference in the world for ability to get around. The snorkeling was wonderful. We did not take advantage of as many of the water sports as some have.

The restaurant was very high quality. I'll note some service issues below, but taste and quantity of food was excellent. The restaurant was fairly pricey, but that is expected from a hotel of this caliber. The breakfast service was stellar every morning. Delicious and well staffed.

Now for the parts that were a bit disappointing:

1) Service - we found that the restaurant service varied from usually excellent to very disappointing. Unfortunately, our first night, we went down for dinner and sat away from the only other table there at the time, which I believe was one of the owners' families. My wife and I waited 20 minutes before even flagging someone down to place our drink orders. It was the first night there, so we didn't want to make an incident of it. On another night, they brought us the wrong change and it took several explanations and persons talking to to explain we had been shorted by approximately 80 pesos. They corrected it, but still, it was disappointing to have to be in business mode while on my honeymoon. Lastly, and this is quite subjective, but ordering drinks was a consistently awkward process. The bar was rarely staffed, and they almost seemed surprised that we wanted drinks directly from the bar to take up to the room or outside. On our honeymoon, I would expect not to be looked at strangely for having a beer in the afternoon.

2) Room - As mentioned, the room was gorgeous. However, it was very hot. We ran the A/C as low as it would go all the time, and it never got below the mid-80s. The sheets are some type of material that are very hot. I understand from previous postings and responses from the hotel that they are a very high quality and I'd agree, but they are very hot nonetheless. And we had similar incidents with lizards coming in through the unsealed roof as mentioned by one reviewer. Lastly, the mosquitoes were terrible. I understand the hotel cannot do much about this, but with the open air nature of the roof and the gaps between the walls and the roof, mosquitoes were everywhere. Our only solution was for me to "hunt" them every night before we went to sleep, by carefully searching our room and routinely killing 8-12 per night.

I understand it is eco-friendly, but uncomfortable is uncomfortable and when paying as much as we did, I'd expect to have a room without heat, lizards, and mosquitoes. But my wife and I wanted a boutique hotel away from the touristy areas of Tulum and Cancun, and we did get that.

Room Tip: Avoid the Nefertiti. It is gorgeous and grand, but that does not make up for the thatched roof and t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank savathboro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Jashita is hands down one of my favorite hotels in the world. The location is beyond beautiful....the rooms are well appointed and maintained wonderfully....the beach is powder white sand and the water is a warm turquoise.....so relaxing and picturesque. But above and beyond all of that the owners and the staff make the stay effortless, exciting, and satisfying....a wonderful Italian family who are always smiling...always taking care of their guests. A wedding...a relaxing weekend....a week in the sun....this is the place. I give the Jashita an A+.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I'm apprehensive to write about the perfection of this spot because I want to keep it all to myself. This is the ideal spot for anyone looking to truly unwind, but feels uncomfortable fully disconnecting. Jashita had just the right balance between unfettered beach experience and accomodations. The aeshetic is modern and peaceful. The location is on an idyllic quiet strip of perfect blues that never cease to delight the eye and mind. I found no reason to leave for the entire duration of 3 nights I was here which allowed for the perfect restorative relaxing dose of a quiet Mexico with some Italian flare.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank erin m
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

4 nights in September 2012. We booked one of the top suites but got a complimentary upgrade to the Aphrodite suite because that wasn't booked when we arrived.

I have been around the world and this is without doubt one of the nicest, most special hotels I have ever stayed in. It gets tantalisingly close to perfection, but then falls short. I will explain why.

First of all, the good things about this hotel:

1) Location / setting. The hotel is set right on the beach in a secluded tropical lagoon. Stuff dreams are made of. The water is 10 different shades of brilliant bright blues and greens and at night you can hear the waves crashing on the outer reef of the lagoon.

2) Activities. Even though it's a small hotel they provide you with a good list of activities to do straight out of the hotel. Swimming, snorkelling, kayaking, visiting Mayan ruins. You will not be bored here.

3) Room. The size was huge, the views were amazing, and the design was sophisticated and also very clever. There was a glass wall in the bathroom that was one way glass so you could see the ocean views. Huge private outdoor terrace as part of the room.

4) Food. The hotel restaurant (Sahara Cafe) is truly world class. Breakfasts were included in the rate and were an amazing way to start each day. Dinners were romantic and unforgettable. My tip is to get the lobster spaghetti - one of the best meals I've ever had.

After the first day we thought we had found paradise and perfection. However it didn't quite get there for a couple of reasons:

1) Service. Don't get me wrong, some of the staff we encountered were friendly, charming and very helpful. But then some of the front desk attendants only spoke very basic english which was very frustrating when we tried arranging things. Also, there was one front desk lady who was quite rude and some of the restaurant waiters weren't that friendly.

2) Washing. On the 2nd day we put in a load of dirty washing. It came back the next day and 2 of the shirts had bleach spilt all over them and had been ruined. We complained to reception and they told us that the maid had claimed they were like that before washing which was a complete and utter lie. The reception desk manager did not believe us and it was not until the manager heard that they offered us half price at the restaurant, which was worthless to us because we had a booking at another place. When we checked out the next day they had the nerve to include the laundry charge in the bill even though they had ruined hundreds of dollars worth of clothes!

3) Room issues. Airconditioning wasn't strong enough to reach the bed and didn't really cool the whole room. Roof wasn't properly sealed so water came into the room during a storm as well as several bugs, a small lizard and one night a spider, which freaked out my partner. I know this place is meant to be "eco friendly" but you can't have it both ways and pretend you're hyper luxury and charge thousands of dollars for your rooms that are leaky and contain bugs.

Don't get me wrong, this place is absolutely AMAZING and when you arrive it will take your breath away. But when you're paying thousands of dollars for a place in a low cost country such as Mexico, I think we were justified to feel a little disappointed with a couple of the issues. If you book this place and come here you will have an unforgettable life memory, but because of a few issues it didn't quite reach perfection.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James M
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

My 3 girlfriends and I spent 5 nights at hotel jashita. What a gorgeous place! Situated on the Carribbean sea in Tulum this hotel was divine.
Our room. Double deluxe was enormous! 2x king beds, spacious bathroom, outdoor living room and our own plunge pool.
We had read many glowing reports of this hotel but we were still blown away by the beauty of the place.
The breakfast is so generous we rarely ate again til late afternoon. The staff in the bar/restaurant were an absolute delight. They bent over backwards for us, cared for us like family. The food at the hotel is excellent, from bar snacks on the beach to the fine dining.
We were encouraged to snorkel and explore the reef with free kayaks and snorkeling gear.
Although we had to pull ourselves away from the serenity of this hotel, Tulum has a lot to offer. A short taxi trip we were able to explore Mayan ruins and beautiful freshwater cenotes. This truly is a beautiful part of the world.
I highly recommend this affordable luxury hotel. Thank you for a memorable stay.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank megdunne
Pilar, Argentina
Reviewed October 1, 2012

It´s exactly what I consider perfect. It´s obvious that the owner loves his place and the owner´s way of living is showed in this hotel. Cleaness, order, details, decoration, everythihg is thought to please the guest.
The whole place is elegant and cozy at the same time.
Breakfast superb, lunch, tea and dinner wonderful.
What else?.... We´ll be back

Room Tip: every room has its charm, the ones on top have the perfect view, the lower ones are bigger
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank viole_12
NYC
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Jashita is a beautiful hotel, and unfortunately my travel companion and I were not able to stay there, but I had to write a review anyway. We arrived at Hotel Jashita exhausted from work in Tuscany, Rome and Monterrey. We booked a beautiful suite at the hotel a few weeks prior to our visit to Tulum. Since our travels were non stop, the goal was to find serenity, rest and quite. Unfortunately when we checked in to the Jashita, we discovered they had to start construction early on a 5 room expansion. We LOVED our room, and the terrace, and the property, but not the construction noise--because all we were looking for was rest and quiet. HOWEVER, when we discussed it with the owner and general manager, they gladly made a call on our behalf to a nearby hotel and relocated us--refunding our money, paying for our taxi to the new hotel, and rearranging our prepaid return trip to the airport for a pickup at the new location.
I felt compelled to let those who were considering staying at the Jashita know that the staff and owner make staying there worth it. I felt that was the kind of treatment one would expect from a luxury hotel, and they delivered...with integrity.
Thank you to Emmanuel at the front desk, and Massimillio, the manager, and to the owner!
Neal and Elaine

Cabanas Tulum
Cabanas Tulum
#12 of 96 in Tulum
El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Jashita? Share your experiences!