“Birthday weekend away”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manning Park
Surrey, Canada
“Birthday weekend away”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband, myself and our two small children recently stayed at the resort for the weekend to celebrate my husbands' birthday. As it was the off season we reserved a junior king quite for a good deal. Check in was quick and efficient.
The suite was nicely appointed and a good size. Large sitting area with a large pull out sofa bed, keurig coffee maker (nice change from the usual in-room coffee makers!), micro and small fridge. Good size bathroom. Nice separate bedroom with king bed and tv's in both the sitting room and bedroom. We used the pool and had dinner at the Pinewoods restaurant so these are my comments:

Pros: nice size rooms, clean, spacious. Nice lobby with a wood burning fireplace and plenty of seating for a cozy chat. Excellent scenery. Restaurant just a short walk outside. Large pool with 2 hot tubs (only one was working when we were there) and sauna. Super soft towels in our bathroom.

Cons: shower pressure was dreadful (typical of most hotels actually), bed was HARD. TV's only received 8 or 10 channels. Wifi was hit or miss and was free for a limited time then you had to pay (we did not).
Restaurant menu was SMALL, service was attentive but we were there for dinner and they only offered sandwiches and burgers, etc. That is fine for lunch but we were hoping for something more for dinner (esp since it was a birthday we were celebrating). We skipped dessert as we had brought a cake to eat back in our room. Did not have breakfast at the restaurant as we had also brought muffins, oatmeal, etc for our room.
The pool, although heated, was COLD. And we were not fans of having to walk outside to get to the pool building as it was only 4C out (can't imagine doing that in December!!) A shame they couldn't add the pool onto the existing resort building.

Overall we had a lovely weekend and with some small improvements this could be an outstanding resort. We would definitely consider coming back ....if perhaps they changed the mattresses ;-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BCWife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
turlock, california
Reviewed September 20, 2013

It is funny how we all have such different experiences at the same hotel! It was POURING when we got there....a thunder storm had just started so that made the park experience all the better. Thomas made our phone reservations and was a 'hoot'. Our check in was easy, our room gave us nothing to complain about. We were traveling w/out a computer so wi-fi was not an issue. We brought books so TV was not an issue. And we pretty much figured our cell phones would not work. Location has so much to do w/technology so do some research before you go. The room was neat & clean, quiet too, linens fine etc. And for $80 we could not have done better anywhere else. I would go back tomorrow if I could.

Room Tip: We had #117....no problems.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank candydawn
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The new owners of this lodge are doing all the right things. Room rates are extremely good, the restaurant serves hearty meals that are of very good quality. The lodge and cabins have been around for many many years, and it's good to see the place "back in business". A lovely place to stop on a road trip, and certainly an excellent place to spend time if you're skiing or hiking in the park.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the "loon lagoon" will be quieter, as the highway noise might be a factor...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We have visited this resort 3 times in 3 years. My review is based on the understanding that the resort was recently bought by new owners.

Firstly, the good: the location is amazing. Hiking, canoe rentals and sub alpine meadows are right there. It 's gorgeous, the air smells great. The pool looked nice. The restaurant menu and evening service is much improved. Thank you thank you thank you for adding a real breakfast menu! The room was mostly clean and comfy. There is now wifi available. Check in was great.

The bad: they charge for wifi. Not much, but still. The soap is miniscule. The TV gets 3 channels, 2 of which had no sound. There was no remote control. Old TV. Really, consider dvd players and borrowing if cable or satellite is not an option. Thee is no AC, fans are available but they make you ask for them. The carpets are old and crusty. The shower curtain is not curved, and the safety bar in the shower sticks out so far that you will touch either the bar or the curtain while showering.

The ugly:Morning restaurant service needs immediate improvement. Waiting to be seated shouldn't include waiting for 3 waitresses to finish a conversation in a corner. A second cup of coffee should not need to be begged for. There was plenty of staff and poor communication. Everyone in the way, nothing getting done right.

Housekeeping! Really, we were out all day, returned after three- ROOM was not cleaned! Again, this is ridiculous. The cleaning staff were literally next door when we left that morning when we left the " please make up room sign" on the door handle. Maybe they can't read? Thought it was do not disturb? I felt bad, but I could not return the young man at the desk's enthusiasm when he informed me it shouldn't take much longer than 1/2 hr after we asked. And, I was pretty pissed that all the housekeeping service did was make the beds and replace 2 towels ( not even all the towels or any amenities were replaced) For that we waited all day.

Check out involved waiting for another conversation with the staff to end. Perhaps invest in a bell if staff are so easily distracted?

If the motto is you get what you pay for, I would suggest camping.

Dear new owners: please improve! We want to love staying here!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laurel S S
Mike B, General Manager at Manning Park Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to point out some of the resort improvements as well as areas we need to work on.
We are in the process of changing suppliers for the accommodations soaps and shampoos and can confirm that the new soap bars are larger. We recently upgraded the TV System ( as well as the phone system and wifi) and now get 10 channels. Once we got the new TV system we realized that most of the existing TV's did not work, so we have now installed all new TV's in the lodge and they all have working remotes.
We still have a ways to go with the resort and are constantly working on making improvements. For the winter guests we have just purchased 2 additional snow machines for grooming the Alpine and Nordic trails.
The facilities should always be clean and operational and we strive to give excellent customer service.
I do apologize for the poor, inattentive service you experienced and can assure you that we will continue to work towards Super Service with a Smile.
Thank you again and I hope you will give us another try as we truly want you to have a wonderful, worry free stay.
Best regards.

Travelers are raving about these Manning Park hotels

Calgary
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My sister had recommended the hiking in Manning Park for us, as we are getting older and the hikes are not too demanding. We do not camp, so we stayed in the park at the resort, with excellent off-season rate of $78 including tax! The lobby and building exterior are lovely log construction...room was comfy and quiet. The TV had only limited channels as one is in the mountains. Convenient restaurant and small store are also on site. This is a good base for hiking or fishing in the park.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view - ours looked into the lobby!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cowichan Bay, BC
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Had a great night in room 103 in the lodge (two queen beds). The room was very clean, the beds were comfy, and it was nice and quiet. We took advantage of the pool (extra towels available at the desk), hot tub and exercise room. While we didn't have time to stay and play, I saw that they had racquets, balls, etc., available to borrow from an equipment room. The "clothesline" over the tub was helpful for drying bathing suits. All the staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. I felt the price was very reasonable for the cleanliness, comfort and amenities.

The only recommendations I could suggest would be longer wi-fi time (it only gives you about 10 minutes, and you have to ask at the office if you want more time), and a fan and water fountain/dispenser in the exercise room (though you can buy bottled water in a machine in the building). We hope to be back when we can stay and play longer!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Canadian_Claire
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Pinewoods Dining Room at Manning Park Resort used to provide fairly average meals. New ownership since reopening in 2013 has changed that. We stayed at the lodge and had dinner at Pinewoods a few nights ago and were delighted with the improvements at the restaurant.
As I recall, no dinner entrees are listed on the permanent menu, which seems more of a lunch menu. They are listed on the blackboard near the entrance to the restaurant and I assume they change, but I don't know how often because we stayed just one night.

The Caesar salad my husband and I shared came in one bowl with an extra small plate and no serving spoon. Sort of odd way of serving a shared dish but it was delicious. My husband had barbecued baby back ribs. The serving was generous and the ribs were delicious.

I had braised lamb shanks that were just delicious -- falling off the bone, melt in your mouth, good flavor. But I have never been served such a large plate of food. There were two large lamb shanks and three people could have shared this dish and been happily full.

Both the ribs and the lamb shanks came with a large serving of several vegetables. These were perfectly prepared: well seasoned and not overcooked. Fortunately the lodge rooms have fridges so we were able to take our leftovers.

The wine list, though, could use some improvement. Or I should say, the management should consider having a wine list. According to our waiter, they have one white and one red. I think the white is a chardonnay and the red a merlot. Don't know what labels. Other than that I can't comment on the bar.

The service was very good.

I was never moved to write a review of Pinewoods' earlier efforts, but I'm happy to be able to recommend it highly now.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patita43

Been to Manning Park Resort? Share your experiences!