“Lightning Lake Campground”

Manning Park Resort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Manning Park Resort — your family’s four-season destination located in the stunning E.C. Manning Provincial Park in the heart of the Cascade Mountains. Along with its ecological attractions, Manning Park is a recreational paradise with Alpine and Nordic skiing in the winter; snowshoeing and exploring in the spring; hiking, camping, fishing and swimming in the summer; and boating and sightseeing in the fall.
Puurs, Belgium
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Lightning Lake Campground”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Manning Park was our last stop on a tour of the bigger (national) parks in BC and Alberta. Though a provincial park, it has all the amenities of its big brothers, minus the busloads of tourists. We had a great stay at the Lightning Lake Campground - a fire ban (too hot and dry) prevented us from having our very last campfire, but we enjoyed our stay there altogether. The Lightning Lake Loop hike offers some great views of the lake. Our last afternoon there was spent with a lazy lie down near the lake. You should bring enough food though - the Resort shop only has some basics and the closest shop is in Hope (45' drive).

Visited August 2014
4 Thank AnnVG

Chilliwack, Canada
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Making It Up As They Go!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

I had been in communication for well over a month with a customer service rep from the resort who helped me plan a three night, four day snow shoe trip in the park. She informed me that I only needed a Provincial Back Country Pass for each of the three nights that I spent in the park. I purchased three passes. On the second day when I stopped into the resort to ask for directions I was informed by the assistant manager that I was "not allowed" to camp in his park, because of the potential for environmental damage caused by setting up my tent on top of six feet of snow. He did not believe that my back country passes were authentic, and stated that his staffer had misinformed me about the requirements to winter camp in his park. He informed me that the Provincial Back Country Passes are, "very misleading" and "not worth the paper they are written on". If I wanted to spend the final two nights of my trip in his park, I would have to spend more money on new passes. This would allow me to camp in their parking lot. In other words, it was nothing more than a cash grab. What a joke! Needless to say, I ended up spending the next two hours driving home in a snow storm.

My written complaint to the new owners of the park has never been answered. I did eventually receive a rather condescending, unhelpful email from the general manager for the resort who said that he would investigate my concerns, but I've not heard back from him since. The email address provided to me by the assistant manager for the Provincial Government Representative responsible for E.C. Manning Provincial Park, turned out to be bogus! What a total waste of time and money. I've since cancelled my vacation plans for this summer in the park. Use caution when dealing with this resort. In my opinion, staff are clearly making the rules up as they go.

Visited March 2014
10 Thank Jeffrey R
Zurich, Switzerland
139 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,636 helpful votes
“Lightning Lake excitement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

We were able to grab the last RV lot at Lightning Lake which is part of the Manning Park Resort. The lot was spacious and we enjoyed our own campfire as well as an educational show in the little amphitheatre nearby. Also the lake is in walking distance and offers swimming and canoeing possibilities.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank FrankGeisler
Victoria, Canada
“POWDER POWDER POWDER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

A tiny resort when i was there 40 years ago. Powder every day. Great fun. Lovely hotel. Oh need more characters. The drive from Hope was easy and safe.

Visited June 2013
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Had high hopes for new owners :(”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

This review is for the actual lodge and not the ski hill. First let me say that the new staff at Manning are great, very friendly and helpful - but it's just not going to be enough to being us back. We had had to change our own sheets and have the bathroom cleaned during our previous visit, but with the resort out of receivership and in new hands we decided it was worth another chance. I understand that the lodge is aging, and I can do rustic and outdated without complaint, but there is no excuse for filthy and staying the night in a room that gives you the 'heebie-jeebies' isn't relaxing! In our room,we had had sunflower seeds shells under our beds, mould growth around taps, weird pancake batter-like substance dried in bathroom behind TP roll, socks turned black from the carpets, and my asthmatic son coughing up a lung from excessive dust in HVAC - that can't be turned off. The public areas were also unsanitary - water streaming from ceiling in the restaurant,which set off the fire alarm and emptied the building before we could eat dinner, grime rings around hot tubs and pool edges, playroom littered with broken toys and unvacuumed. My kIds love skiing at manning but it's just too far to drive without adequate accommodations. If you do decide to stay the night, bring Lysol wipes!

9 Thank momtoetai