“Surprise”

Ranked #9 of 42 Restaurants in Arrowtown
Cuisines: European, New Zealand
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the ambience of our fully restored 1876 stone building. Open for lunch and brunch from 11am with dinner being served from 5pm. Our al fresco setting is extremely popular during the summer months or take a step back in time in our beautiful interior for fireside dining. Our food is classic and hearty, focusing on slow cooked New Zealand produce, Aged steaks from the grill, and fresh seasonal produce. An excellent array of Central Otago wines. Feel free to join us for a full dining experience or enjoy some beverages and tapas.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

It is years since I have been to Stables. I was surprised they did pizza now but it was delicious.Other meals looked interesting as well. The Sticky Date Pudding was the best I have tasted. Looking forward to going again soon.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Well worth a visit great atmosphere and interesting combination of flavours. Waitress very knowledgeable and good sense of humor

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I enjoyed a number of NZ brews, food was ok ( unfortunately out of venison pies at he time) but little miss loved her fish and chips.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Booked a table for 5 girls after Motatapu Event. Waitresses were awesome, nothing was too much trouble, patient with questions about wine and food. Even offered for us to sample wine b4 we decided. Food arrived in appropriate time, tasty steak, cooked as ordered, realistic prices Loved the music and atmosphere. Table allocated had been outside, but we asked to move indoors and this was accommodated immediately without any fuss. Would go back here when in Arrowtown

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We had booked a table for four but seemed to irk the maitre d' (who was faffing about with his till) when our ladies strode purposely past him and straight into the dining room. He brusquely asked us gentlemen if we intended to eat and we replied that that would seem like a good idea, it being a restaurant and all. He took our sarcasm for rudeness and promptly put us on the most inaccessible table upstairs and walked off. I did mutter that we were being put on the "naughty table". Anyway, we sat there for 20-30 minutes with no drinks, no menus and no sight of the maitre d' before the harassed waitress asked if we were alright! She had assumed her boss was taking care of us.
Eventually, we were able to order and food & drinks were served with no further problems - despite two or three of our meal choices not being available and the waitress having to negotiate the rickety old staircase.
We were on holiday and were able to laugh about the random service but others might have walked out.

2  Thank 2flu
Melissa S, Owner at Stables Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Thanks 2flu for your posting. I wish I was your waitress, as your crew sounds like a hoot! I would have relished in your banter. I really must apologise for your lack lustre experience at The Stables. I have always tried to pride myself and instil in my team to provide an excellent experience in our food and beverage service. I'm not going to make excuses, we dropped the ball on this one, and I thank you for your feedback so we can work on our consistency. As much as I don't like receiving negative comments, it is one of the most important ways of letting us know where we can improve.