“Wish I hadnt booked here”
Review of New Orleans Hotel

New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Arrowtown
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The hotel is situated in the middle of the main street in Arrowtown and you enter through the lounge bar which is a comfortable large lounge with a nice fire and comfortable chairs. Bar staff were friendly and helpful and the range of food available was excellent. Problem was I booked a room here for two nights while travelling in the area on business. I chose the cheaper option for the room and wish I hadn't but having said that the basic problems that I experienced should not have been apparent even for the 'cheaper' cost. The deluxe rooms are better I stayed in one of those a few years ago and it was excellent. Anyway the ranch slider door was almost off its tracks and left me wondering about the security of the room when I was out. It was very basic and not very clean. The heating was a single bar electric heater high on the wall and eventually half way through day two the room was just off freezing. The electric blanket didn't work. The fridge kicked in every 20 minutes or so and made a dreadful noise all night. The TV didn't work and the 'free WiFi' is a joke because I was never able to connect to it for more than a few seconds at a time so just as well I have a 3G enabled cell phone. Why advertise something when its not available?

The bed was reasonably comfortable and I guess I managed to sleep OK even though the place was freezing. The bathroom was the worst. It had no heating at all - nothing not even a heated towel radiator. It was absolutely freezing cold and on my last morning when I was going to catch a flight home there was no hot water at all either in the sink or the shower so I had to make do with boiling the kettle several time and getting only a very basic wash. Totally unacceptable.

I finally got dressed and went to the bar to return my key and met a staff member who took the key and when I explained about no hot water he did apologise and offered me the chance to shower in another room which I declined as I was not prepared to strip off again in a cold room and shower after finally getting warm plus I had a flight to catch. I declined and then as an after thought he offered me a coffee which I also declined due to time pressure.

Hotel New Orleans you have a prime location in the most beautiful place - Arrowtown - but you are really taking the Mickey with rooms like this. It is totally inexcusable in 2014 to offer this low level of quality which even at half the price would have been too much. The location and the lounge bar are first rate so please pay attention and do something about these dreadful rooms they are awful and letting your reputation down.

Room Tip: Choose the De-Luxe rooms over the cheaper ones they are better from my experience which was admitted...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Husband and I stayed in a deluxe room for four nights as a base to explore Arrowtown, Queenstown, Milford Sound, Cromwell and Wanaka. We had a rental car and parked down by the river overnight, where there is a lot of free long-term parking.
Pros: the rooms have their own entrance, so you don't have to go through the pub every time; very clean; based on the Main Street of Arrowtown, so close to food, etc; Sky TV on big screen; lots of pillows and blankets, heater; powerful, hot shower; nice view of trees but expected a better view from "deluxe" description on website.
Cons: wasn't very clear where to check in - just at the bar, it seemed, where staff were not always available; did not realise the fridge was not on until the second morning, so did not trust the milk; the milk was not replaced after it had passed its expiry date; but can understand why the fridge was off - it's a tad noisy; metal stairs next to room created a noise when people ran up and down them late at night, after a few drinks probably; if come in autumn, be prepared to be woken early by street cleaners and blowers cleaning up all the leaves; small bath towels

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2014

staff let me try the different brews before I settled on one I liked - the open fire inside is nice and the big deck area outside is lovely and spacious - I felt fine here on my own! It is really peaceful outside and I can imagine that it is a great place in the winter with the big open fire in the main bar! Good selection of local beers too.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Unfortunatly we were in the noisy room, the fridge turned on evey hour, upstairs sliding doors were very loud and you could hear a gas boiler starting up every few hours! Room itself was nice and comfy, there was a hole in the bathroom wall exposing water pipes, the painting on the ceiling wasnt finished, on the good side you had a nice bed, sky tv, fridge, milk, tea and coffee. very central hotel in the heart of arrowtown so a perfect place to base yourself to explore for a few days!!

Room Tip: Try and avoid room 10!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Arrowtown is delightful and the New Orleans is right in the centre, full of character. It was a pub room so don't expect too much, fairly small and there was a problem with our shower cubicle but quite adequate. Friendly helpful service, good food and being a pub there was a good choice of beer. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MartinLyndhurst
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and ate the first night in the Hotel restaurant. the roast was good value and tasty. The second night I ate down stairs in the Pizza Bar and drank $5 Guinness Pints with a very affordable pizza Yummy

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a front room with a view. Great views
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Codes_13
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Hi we stayed 1 night in room 10 and it was average . every hour the fridge starts up in your room and is very loud . as per below in a june comment here the room still hasn't been finished been painted .half done job . theres a hole in the toilet wall hasent been covered up at all . tv has bad reception . then went up for breakfast after a big night on the beers and the big breakfast had beer battered bread didn't say this on the menu and we all no with a hang ova that's the last thing you want . Sort this out its super average . we will never stay here again

Room Tip: never get big breakfast and never eva get room 10 , make sure you have a look at a room before you g...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank frank j
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrowtown
Arrowtown House Boutique Hotel
Arrowtown Motel Apartments
Settlers Cottage Motel
Settlers Cottage Motel
#5 of 12 in Arrowtown

Been to New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!