“Don't miss this”

and up
Historical Arrowtown Tour from Queenstown
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Arrowtown
More attraction details
Owner description: The Lakes District Museum is situated in the heart of picturesque Arrowtown. The museum houses a fantastic collection of artifacts and information about the history of this gorgeous district. Suitable for all ages, the museum is fun for all ages as we take a 'hands-on' approach to our displays. Take a wander around and don't forget to peek into all of the nooks and crannies so that you don't miss anything! The museum is also the Information Centre for Arrowtown and we can help you with any advice that you need about the best way to enjoy Arrowtown and its surrounds.
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Other travellers seemed to rate Arrowtown very highly, so despite some misgivings about it possibly being a bit commercialised, we decided to give it a go and were very pleasantly surprised. OK it's a touch 'everything to to with the gold rush' but worth at least a couple of hours and there is planty to see and nice cafes etc - but do go to the museum at the end of the street. It's full of information and displays in the outer area and shop (even without paying for the full museum experience). Very interesting background - also lots of books/pictures/postcards and even fiction books set in the goldrush era. Park up, do the museum and then meander around town.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

This was a pleasant surprise. A very interesting and user friendly little museum right in the heart of town. Very well done with good exhibits giving you a good picture of life in Arrowtown back in the day.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

It is extremely rare that I will ever write a negative review however in this instance there is perhaps some justification for doing so. I had a wonderful trip to New Zealand an incredibly beautiful and diverse country with a superb infrastructure for tourism well managed. Not every experience leaves one content and happy and some moments you can be going along happy only for an individual or situation to somewhat upset your day. Such was my unfortunate experience at the Lakes District Museum. I arrived late in the day close to closing time and to pass the time I thought I would briefly take a browse inside. There were some interesting tapestries on display which I observed then made my way over to the bookstand to review the titles. At no point did I handle any of the books on display. Aware that the museum was closing I politely made conversation with the lady assistant and made my way to the exit only to be confronted by the lady questioning as to whether the book I was carrying with me belonged to me. I was instantly in shock almost not believing what I had listened to. While I respect an individuals courage to confront an individual if they thought somebody attempted to steal an item that simply is not good enough particularly working in the hospitality industry. You must know for certain that I or any other individual had physically lifted the book and had attempted to steal an item. The book I was carrying with me coincidently was the same title which was on the shelf however thats not a reason to accuse someone. Hopefully no other visitors in the future will experience what I encountered and I hope the museum continues to be a valuable source of historical information and friendliness to its visitors both domestic and international.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Good value for people who want to know about the area.

Reviewed January 31, 2012

We have visited this museum a couple times now and have really enjoyed learning about the history of this gold mining area. There are lots of displays, information plaques, memorabilia, interactive displays, and movie docos. The museum is right in town and houses many historic artifacts from the gold mining era. Well worth the small cost of entry. Allow plenty of time to see all this place has to offer.