“too poky for comfort”

Ranked #3 of 12 Arrowtown B&B and Inns
Timaru, New Zealand
“too poky for comfort”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Location of this motel is great, but unfortunately we also seemed to have trouble with our booking. We booked really early but it seemed to have been mislaid, and we were put in the smallest unit we have ever seen in New Zealand. Fridge etc in the wardrobe, and if we put our suitcase on floor, then had to move it to open the door. The television was also the smallest I,ve seen for years. Not worth what we did pay.

Room Tip: Quiet and convenient location but that would be all.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Lorica H, Owner at Shades of Arrowtown, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Hello,
I am writing to you to let you know the The Shades of Arrowtown is now under in ownership.
I am sorry that you have an unpleasent visit in the past.
We are in the middle of reinovating the Units and they are all looking pritty good, the unit in which you stayed in has now got a new kitchen and Tv, the fridges are no longer on the floor and the room is a standard Queen room so really isn't that small.
Hopefully if you are ever back this way you could stay with us again and see the changes in which we have made. Thanks Lorica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
York, UK
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Although I have stayed twice before,and my booking was confirmed in writing, management cancelled my reservation by email 48 hours before my arrival with a rather thin story about double booking. I suspect that they had a better (longer) offer. No attempt was made to suggest alternative accommodation.

Off my list, I'm afraid, in spite of the limited options in Arrowtown.

Markings relating to the rooms are from a previous visit as an entry is required.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that you have had a bad experiance with the previous owners, I am please to let you know that we had just taken of here at the Shades of Arrowtown, and if you are ever here in New Zealand again I would like to ask you to give us an opportunity to stay with us again and this time I promise you a nice and relaxing time. Thank you Tom and Lorica
Surrey
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Arrowtown is a very pretty town about 20 min drive from Queenstown with good selection of places to eat and nice walks close by. It is small and I would say quite upmarket so places to stay are not vast and usually in demand. Shades has only got a 3 star value rating from me as it is quite expensive for what is really an upper class motel. However the rooms are a reasonable size with cooking facilities - stove top and microwave - no oven, and separate bedroom. Furnishings are OK but not particularly new or modern. It's not a large property but the setting is nice - about 10, mainly semi detached cabins, in nicely planted grounds with access to BBQs and only a couple of mins walk from the main high street. The cabins do vary in size and amenities and I believe some have their own laundry facilities although there is a communal pay as you go facility on site. There is also a large two storey cabin which was very popular with families. Shades is a perfectly OK place to stay in a picturesque village with access to all the activities in the Queenstown area but outside of the noise, traffic and bustle of Queenstown itself.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jasmine101Surrey
Lorica H, Owner at Shades of Arrowtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your review. The Shades of Arrowtown is now Under NEW management, and we have been slowly upgradeing things from Tv's to Bedspreads to completly new kitchens. I hope that someday you will be able to come back and see the changes we have made. Thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrowtown
Arrowtown House Boutique Hotel
#5 of 12 in Arrowtown
Settlers Cottage Motel
Settlers Cottage Motel
#4 of 12 in Arrowtown

Been to Shades of Arrowtown? Share your experiences!