“best seafood chowder”

Postmaster's Residence
Ranked #5 of 42 Restaurants in Arrowtown
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Step back in time and enjoy a slice of Arrowtown’s rich heritage. The carefully preserved historic cottage, once home to the town’s postmasters, has been a main street feature since the 1860s and is now a popular restaurant surrounded by beautiful gardens. Enjoy the beauty of each season at Postmasters, whether it's soaking up the sun whilst sitting out on the verandah with a refreshing drink or inside by the open fires with a homemade mulled wine in the colder months. The seasonal menu features fresh flavours, top quality local produce, and Central Otago wines which showcase the best of this famous wine-making region. Plenty of gluten-free and vegetarian options available as well as a dedicated kids’ menu.Open daily for breakfast, morning & afternoon tea, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Yet again another fantastic seaford chowder at the postmasters. We have already had our second meal in 4 days. So creamy and you can even eat the cob bread dish that it is served in! Wonderful location whilst watching the snow falling outside. Great friendly service by the staff. Cosy fire inside. Goid sekection on the menu or great for coffee and cake. Bring the family for a meal or a mulled wine.

1  Thank Thesons

Reviewed June 29, 2014

The food was soooo good!!!! Service friendly.
I highly recommend the smoky mash - next time I'll have to get some tips on how they make this.
Pavlova too big LOL.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I was in Arrowtown for a couple of days and went to the Postmasters for breakfast which was excellent. It was just after they opened for the day so the log fire was a welcome sight when I went in. Beautiful location in the former Postmasters house in this beautiful small town - way better than Queenstown any day in my opinion!! Very cosy and warm with friendly attentive service and excellent food. Went back for dinner the same evening and requested a table beside the fire! Had a salmon starter on a beetroot salad which was delicious followed by crispy skinned salmon steak on a bed of mash with a cinnamon cream which was inspired. Just a hint of cinnamon but a delicious combination.
Crumble for desert topped with ice cream and I was done apart from a coffee to top things off. The price was reasonable for such high quality food and the service was attentive and friendly. Top marks to the chef for a first class meal and I will certainly eat there again the next time I am in Arrowtown.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

What a lovely cottage to stop and have lunch in. It's a beautifully restored Postmasters' residence and would be enjoyable year round. Outside is a pretty garden and courtyard for sunny days, however we were inside on a very rainy day by the cosy fireplace.
Staff were attentive and friendly.
We chose the lunch special of fish and chips which came to the table wrapped in 'Queenstown'newspaper....a quirky but cute touch. Sadly, I didn't think it was very tasty and the sauces that came with it were in tiny takeaway cups which was a bit odd given we were eating in. It would have been more appetising served in a dish.
Still, I would go back and try something else as it was such a delightful venue.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We thoroughly recommend including this restaurant in your bucket list of places to dine. From the warm welcome through to the last mouthful of the delicious pavlova we had to finish off this amazing dining experience, we left knowing that we would not only be back soon, but we would promote and praise this destination to friends and family.
Three of us chose steak as our meal option and they were all cooked perfectly and were so tasty. The fourth meal was salmon which our friend absolutely loved.
I'm so looking forward to my next visit to this beautiful destination and trying other options on their menu.