“Great food”

Postmaster's Residence
Ranked #6 of 41 Restaurants in Arrowtown
Cuisines: European, Soups, New Zealand
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Step back in time and enjoy a slice of Arrowtown’s rich heritage. The carefully preserved historic cottage, once home to the town’s postmasters, has been a main street feature since the 1860s and is now a popular restaurant surrounded by beautiful gardens. Enjoy the beauty of each season at Postmasters, whether it's soaking up the sun whilst sitting out on the verandah with a refreshing drink or inside by the open fires with a homemade mulled wine in the colder months. The seasonal menu features fresh flavours, top quality local produce, and Central Otago wines which showcase the best of this famous wine-making region.  Plenty of gluten-free and vegetarian options available as well as a dedicated kids’ menu.Open daily for breakfast, morning & afternoon tea, lunch and dinner.
Salisbury UK
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Decided to try this place whilst in Arrowtown on Saturday so we popped in and booked a table for later that evening. Proved to be a great idea.

We dined quite early so it was pretty quiet. The menu was relatively modest but covered what we needed. The steak, according to my wife, was perfect and my venison was excellent. Deserts too were very good.

The service was fine, attentive but not intrusive.

All in all a great meal in a pleasant restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
PostmastersResidence, Owner at Postmaster's Residence, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear QJH,

Many thanks for your kind review, we really appreciate it. We are delighted that you enjoyed your evening with us. The steak and the venison are our two most popular dishes so we are pleased that you enjoyed them so much.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in NZ and if you ever find yourselves in the area again, please visit us again.

Kind regards,

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A Most Enjoyable Evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

The visual appeal of this property is wonderful; a pristine villa with beautiful gardens, especially in the current Spring season. Tables on the veranda enjoy this outlook, whilst our table was inside at the front window, also with an attractive view. We particularly liked the fact that the interior of the restaurant is separated into a number of small spaces, so it felt quiet and intimate, which is unusual these days.
Service was very welcoming, friendly and helpful, including accommodating a dietary requirement.
The carpaccio entrée and pasta main were considered excellent and the mains of salmon were pronounced very good. Only the rack of lamb was not quite up to standard, being ordered medium rare but delivered medium, so not quite as tender as it should have been. The barley accompaniment on which it was served with wilted spinach was delicious however.
Of our desserts, the cheesecake was very good, but the sorbets were quite icy and not smooth; perhaps not whipped sufficiently in their preparation.
However, overall, this was an enjoyable meal with the majority of the dishes of a high standard. Thanks for the excellent service, including dealing with our having to amend the number of our group close to the date of our visit.

• Visited November 2013
Dear Parnellian,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate it. We are delighted that you enjoyed your evening with us and hope you will visit us again soon. Our sincere apologies that some of the dishes were not perfect, if you had told us at the time we would have been more than happy to fix it for you as our aim is that every customer is 100% happy!

Thanks again,
Nelson, New Zealand
“A very, very special place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I'll have to start this review with a disclaimer: I worked at Postmaster's for a few months, occasionally, sometimes once, sometimes twice a week. That being said, I certainly have a bias. But what I've found working in this industry for close to seven years now, and what other industry folks might recognize, is that this bias doesn't bode well for the restaurant. A restaurant that might seem perfect to a patron often has faults that only the staff can see. A chef or manager that seems friendly on the surface can turn into a monster under stress. I had never once left a restaurant I'd worked at for any period of time with a good impression. Not once.

That is, until my experience at Postmasters. Every single aspect of this place is as close to perfect as possible. I will write from the perspective of a patron (I dined there several times).

First, the atmosphere. It just doesn't get any better. Small, but not cramped. Two fire places. Plenty of windows, plenty of light. Clean, private toilets. Wrap around patio glowing with candlelight even in the winter months. Even with the small floor plan, they can accommodate a large table for up to 18 people, which actually gives a private dining feel as it takes up one of the three "rooms".

Second, the service. It is so nice to work in a place where I am not the best server. I think I'm pretty good, but there is no reason that a 24 year old should be the most proficient as was the case at the last 3 jobs I've worked. Their other servers are impeccable. I dined one night at 7pm, and was assured that it was not going to be too busy. The Mrs. and I walked in to a full restaurant besides our table and one other with a booking sign on it. We almost left, to take some of the stress of Fynn, the sole waiter of all 12 tables that night. He assured us to stay and I am so glad we did. We did cocktails, wine, entrees and mains, and dessert/champagne (try their 2002 Blanc de Blancs!), and our service felt as if we were the only ones in there. Not only was our service perfect, but from our position in the middle of the room, I watched him deliver equally perfect service to every table in eye sight. Just brilliant.

Third, the food. Sam will not let you down. I will always remember the venison Carpaccio as being the best Carpaccio I've ever had (and I just had a $30 Carpaccio at the nicest restaurant in my town which paled in comparison), the poached pear salad the most crisp, the venison main as the single most delicious meat dish I've ever had (think ultra-smokey potato puree, contrasting with sweet beetroot jam and honey roasted parsnips, providing the backbone for his always-perfectly grilled medium-rare venison steak). It just doesn't get any better. Couple that perfection with his humble nature, his desire to always improve, and a positive attitude and a love of his craft that translates smoothly to the dining room (which is really the key ingredient that you don't get most places), and you get the best dining experience in Central Otago, period. [and that's competing with Flame, Rata, etc . . ]

In a world where the whole foodie movement is growing both in New Zealand and in my home town in the States, it is a wonder that places like Postmasters are not more common. It is sad that something that is such an important part of our culture as humans has been simplified to a necessity; eating for fuel, working for money. But Sam and Maria at Postmaster's are bringing back the restaurant as an art, as a fixture of our culture, as something they love to do and that they do well. I would implore you to give them a shot whenever you are in the area, and they just might restore your faith in restaurants as they did mine.

• Visited August 2013
Dear Quint,

Thank you so much for your review. We are really touched by your beautiful words. It was an absolute pleasure to work with you and you are greatly missed! It is really rewarding when staff and customers appreciate what we are trying to create and are as enthusiastic as we are.

We wish you all the best and hope you will be back in the land of the long white cloud again soon!

Big Love
Nova Scotia
“A good place for lunch.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

This place was very busy but they found a table for us. The service and food were very good. I had a delicious soup served in a bread bowl.

• Visited September 2013
PostmastersResidence, Owner at Postmaster's Residence, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear maryann-ns,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate it. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us.

Thanks again!
Adelaide, Australia
“Worth the time to have a great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife had her birthday breakfast here. Food was great and the service even better. Staff were full of information and could not do more for us.

Visited October 2013
PostmastersResidence, Owner at Postmaster's Residence, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear RobinMc882,

Many thanks for your kind review, we really appreciate it. Thank you for choosing Postmasters to celebrate your birthday breakfast...if only we had known we could have put a candle in your toast!

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and if you visit the area again be sure to stop by and say hi.

Warm regards,