“What a great night!!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“What a great night!!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I visited hot rod diner on saturday and had a great night! The staff were friendly and attentive even though they were really busy. I was told by a waitress that there was a fairly big party in so there may be a little wait but we didnt wait long at all! The food was great and the burgers are huge! I had a burger with pulled pork in it which was really tasty but i couldnt finish it all! and my friend had the ribs which she said were delicious.

I would like to say after reading the previous review which i assume was the party our waitress was refering to. I would like to say that my experience was completely different and the only thing not available on the menu was the lasagne, so I think they may have been exaggerating. I think its a shame to give a new business such a hard time when the area is in desperate need for a place like this. I will certainly be visiting again!!

1 Thank Jenny1783

“Don't waste your time or money!!!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had a pretty similar experience to the 11s leaving party.... We booked the Hot Rod Diner for 30 people on a Saturday at 6.30 well in advance. Around 5 weeks. It was meant to be an enjoyable experience for all after a summer course of martial arts. People had travelled from all over the country and somewhere was needed close to the training hall. Lots of kids were involved so the Diner seemed like a great option.

From the second we walked in the door it was nothing short of a real bad migraine!!

Apparently they are changing the menu over so pretty much anything on the menu they didn't have!! You had the choice of a burger or hot dog basically. When ordered the burgers were so overdone they actually had a coating of black crunchy crust. They did have a tuna and cheese sandwitch they were able to offer to, one of the group ordered this and when that arrived dear God it was stone cold and actually appeared to be pre cooked!!!! The Bread was so hard some serious damage could have been done with it. The cheese was melted and like rubber where it had clearly been left a good while. Needless to say it was unedable and the poor man ended up sharing his kids burnt burger!!

One family waited 45 mins for their dinner. Not that they were looking particularly forward to it after what they had seen just come out. We had to remind the staff of what they ordered 45 mins ago so clearly they had been forgotten about. Another 2 of the tables orders were all wrong. And the kids mini hotdogs were a frozen sausage and around that a stale peice of French baguette. Despite them advertising on the menu that the bread they use is sourced from local bakery's everyday. Yes that's right, from the Aldi down the road in the specials section it seems!!

Hopefully their home made desserts were going to be better. They have on offer pecan pie, key lime pie, home made waffles or pancakes, cheese cake, apple pie and an assortment of ice creams. Out of that choice when ordering they had NO key lime pie, NO pecan pie, 3 bits of cheese cake left, the homemade waffles and pancakes and ONLY vanilla ice cream was available. Pancakes and waffles it is then, best we save the 3 bits of cheesecake for the other 30 in the group. Despite this meal for 30 was pre booked well in advance so you would have thought they would be more prepared with the quantities of food!!

When desserts came out there was no way on this earth they were home made. (By Aldi in their industrial site maybe!?) Both waffles and pancakes were out of a packet and stone cold when served. Someone actually questioned if they were home made or out of a packet. They were honest enough at least to admit they were indeed shop brought. But the reason is again because they are changing the menu. What this has to do with making a pancake consisting of milk, eggs and flour is beyond me!?!?

And to top this entire experience off as soon as the people who organised the event in the booth ( the big chair that others have spoke about on here) dessert plates were taken away and then the manager promptly came over to them to say "sorry I don't do this often, but how long do you think you'll be as I have other people that can sit there!!!!" Which to my amusement the organiser replied with something along the lines of " are you being serious? There's a group of 30 here that are still eating and you want us to move? Thats ok then, We will go now, say bye to the others which are still eating and leave them to it whilst we wait outside for them!!!" This swiftly lead her on to complain about the entire experience for all. To be fair she wasn't going to say anything or kick up a fuss until this point as she didn't want to ruin it for all any more that what it already had been. But I think this was one step to far and she let rip very rightly and politely.

Very embarrassing experience for everyone involved and I felt sorry for the organisers as they felt the need to keep apologising to all for the entire experience..... And this wasnt everything mentioned, i could go on for a good whole longer. Needless to say the Hot Rod Diner will never be entered again. Save your money and go to Iceland or aldi to get your American diner experience instead. Infact you could probably cook it better than what they did to!! They should read the cooking instructions more clearly!!!

3 Thank Michelleherbs
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent visit to the Hotrod Diner Restaurant.”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

After my first visit to the Hotrod Diner restaurant, I am happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised! The waitresses were welcoming and polite, the service and food were of a very high standard and I was greatly impressed.
I look forward to visiting again soon:)

1 Thank JLS1608
Kent
“Fantastic Diner”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

FANTASTIC atmosphere, FANTASTIC music playing from the original jukebox, FANTASTIC outfits for the waitress, FANTASTIC choice of food

We went to the diner 15th July, the kids had a great time , food was FANTASTIC and really enjoyed the strawberry shakes

London, United Kingdom
“I Love Sausage!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I honestly don't understand what some people are saying? This has got to be the best service & Sausage I have had. Everyone was polite, well dressed & very Friendly!

I highly recommend the Hot Rod Diner!

• Visited June 2013