“First Class Resort and Service”

JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rio Hato
Johannesburg
“First Class Resort and Service”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We live in Panama and decided to go here for the weekend. It is only a 1.5 hour drive from Panama City -- longer if coming from the airport. It is an easy drive, so rent a car and drive yourself. The resort is just what you would expect from a 5 star JW Marriott by the beach. The property is immaculate and the tropical flowers and garden are gorgeous. There must be at least 10 pools. There are many families and many couples, but never did it feel like kids were a bother nor did it ever feel like it was a couples only place. It was nice to see all the families and all the love birds doing there own thing.

The rooms are stunningly beautiful in an understated elegance kind a way. Huge sunken tub with a view to the outside. Very comfortable bed and crisp linens. Didn't have the troubles others mention with the tv. In fact, there were so many channels and a mix of English and Spanish, that i wondered what the complaint was about. We had the lagoon view room with a view of the ocean.

Food: The beef at this resort is all imported USDA prime cuts. I had a veal chop that was so fabulous that my wife asked for the recipe. The breakfast buffet is very nice and vey high quality, with lots of fresh fruits, eggs to order, waffles and crepes to order, etc. There is a swim-up bar with fabulous drinks -- request the local Abuelo rum instead of Bacardi. The burgers and buffalo chicken sandwich were wonderful.

My only complaint about the food is the so-called Japanese restaurant. It is fake Japanese. Everything is doused in cream cheese. I had the nigiri sushi plate and the sushi was OK, but certainly not fresh.

Service -- everyone is very well trained in true Marriott fashion. The best was Javier by the pool. He treated out little dog as good as a paying guest. Everyone was very sweet and helpful without ever being intrusive. Some people complained that service was slow. That was never our experience. We never waited more than 3 mins for a towel or a menu. Everything was spot on!
Well done! We will be back many times!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KhunChai
Gerencia02, General Manager at JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2017
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing review. It is so motivating to know when we touch the hearts in our guest’s experience and I am thrilled to see your stay was just that. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Warmest regards,

JW Marriott Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a gorgeous property, but I don't think it's worth a two hour (and $160) trip from the airport. Someone suggested that you could rent a car for far less money, but that may be a bit of a hassle in Panama (just check the Panama forum regarding renting a car at Tocumen). The service was very attentive. If you prefer white sand and calm waters, though, stick with the Caribbean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire JW Marriott Panama Family - thank you for your kind words- very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Miami Beach, Florida, USA
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I just returned from Panama and stayed one night at the JW Marriott in Rio Hato. It is about 2 hours by car from the airport. I rented a car since the transportation fees were $160 one way and I was able to get a car for 3 days for only $88. It had told them then I booked that it was a special trip and I was surprised to find a bottle of champagne and some chocolate dipped fruit waiting in the room for us! We decided to take the champagne to the hot tub and when we couldn't find it, we called the front desk and they offered to have someone come meet us where we were on the resort and lead us to it. Even though we were far from the front desk on the beach. Really about as good service as you could hope for in my book. Top marks!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelWithMiles
Gerencia02, General Manager at JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 7, 2015
Dear Sir or Madam,

On behalf of the entire JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort family we would like to thank you for your recent visit.

I sincerely appreciate your valuable positive feedback which will assist us in our commitment to continuously improve our products and services.

Thanking you for your preference and looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 10, 2013

As I've mentioned in prior reviews, the biggest thing that I hate about some Trip Advisor posts are the reviews full of their with personal issues, in oppose to giving those inquiring minds the "meat and potatoes" or the little "good to knows" of the property. Hopefully my review will give some a better understanding before your arrival. I will give you a quick summary for those that don't want to read, and a detailed summary, for those that want to know as much as they can.

QUICK SUMMARY:
Pack bug repellant (mosquito's are out of control when outside)
One way fee from PTY airport is $160 (up to 4 people)
2-3 hour ride to hotel from PTY (depending on traffic)
Tips already included in bill, with extra tip line added
Staff speaks very very limited English (restaurant servers, hostesses, excursion staff)
Food moderately priced, but still expensive
Black sand, and rough waters
Beautiful grounds
Try to negotiate rates with competing excursion companies
Overall Grade: A-

DETAILED SUMMARY:
ARRIVAL:
Arriving from the US was pretty easy. The customs line was a breeze and the airport isn't as big as a major hub like Atlanta, JFK, or O'Hare. There are no seats inside of the terminal to wait on those that could possibly be a later flight arrival than yours, so prepare to sit on your luggage or the floor.

TRANSPORTATION:
I set up transportation to the the JW via their on-site excision provider, Pacific Adventures (www.pacificadventures.com.pa) The rate is a flat $160 for up to 4 people. There is a $10 per person charge if you want to add 2 more people. So for 6 people, it would be $180 one way. From what I could tell, the $160 is the "established" rate that many of the companies have gone with, due to the distance of the resort from the airport (PTY). It is literally a 2 hour drive from Panama City to Rio Hato. With traffic, prepare your mind for 2-3 hours of commute time. Since $160 a high, yet fair rate due to the travel distance, I would consider calling other companies to negotiate a better rate, if you opt to use their excursion services, in oppose to the in house company at the JW.

For our transportation back, we went with Leading Adventures (www.leadingadventures.org) where we received a 20% off discount because we booked an excursion with them. So our trip back was $128 one way. Keep in mind, these rates are not fixed, and is based off the level of business that they are having. We went in the low season (October) so business is not as good as it would be in July. Either way, always try to work the best price you can.

If you can, I would suggest getting the airport transportation driver to take you on a quick tour of Panama City, of which you have to go through the city heading for the JW. Just make sure to slide him/her a few dollars for the trouble. You can see the Panama Canal, old Panama, new Panama, and other interesting sites at a fraction of the cost, since you are already in the city. We stopped at a local restaurant in Panama City and had lunch, then we were on our way to Rio Hato.

CHECK IN:
Arrival into the JW was pretty smooth. There is table set up at the entrance, where you can go ahead an make dinner reservations upon checking in. The bellmen were very attentive and the check in process was seamless. Upon checking in, they inform you that they place a very large hold on your credit card to cover incidentals. If you stay 4 nights, they place an $800 hold on your credit card! Yes, I know, that's insane!

If you can see any of the pictures online, you will already know that the property is simply gorgeous. I've traveled all over the Caribbean and this property by far has the best landscaping and decor hands down. I won't get into details about the decor, but it's well appointed, with a beautiful inside/outside ocean living lobby area.

ROOM:
We were placed in a suite, and I must say that it was lovely. The first thing I noticed were the Brazilian cherry hard wood floors! Yes, hardwood floors in a room. There was a comfortable chase lounge chair, as well as a efficient workstation. The bathroom has an open concept with 2 folding doors that are above the soaking tub. There is a separate shower, as well as a private bathroom, all with frosted glass doors. Our room had a view of the lagoon and pool area. Overall, A+.

AMENITIES:
At the entry to the property, there's is a portion of the hotel situated off on the left hand side. This area is where a lot of the shops and other recreation services are provided. There you will find the spa (nice but really expensive) and the gym. The gym has a great combination of treadmills, elliptical machines, as well as free weights. Overall, this is a pretty good gym for a hotel. You can get everything done to maintain your workout regime. Other rooms connected to this portion of the hotel is a game room (pool table, foosball, ping pong, darts, etc) along with a room dedicated to smaller children. There are also other shops and services in other rooms for you to kill some time. Overall, this is a good option for those that want to mix it up, instead of being at the pool areas all day. Of course, there's also a golf course, but I don't golf, so I can't really speak on the course, or the build quality or maintenance. It did look nice however. :-)

POOL AREA #1:
As I've mentioned before, this property is 5 star in regards to the design and ambiance of the outdoor areas. During our stay, the lagoon looked like very cloudy green water, so it's really isn't appealing to the eye. Nevertheless, it gives the property its own aesthetics. The pool areas are plentiful and spread out evenly. Upon walking over a bridge covering the lagoon, you will be greeted by 2 large art statues, wrapped around each other. This area looks like it was made for weddings. Simply beautiful. This leads you to the first portion of pools. You have several small kiddie pools, more adult sized pools, and little water areas to simply put your feet in the water. There's a jacuzzi tucked off in the far left corner as you cross over the bridge, as well as other smaller private like pool areas. The max depth on all the pools are about 4.5 feet, so there is no fear of drowning. Also in this first portion of the pools, there is a swim up bar with tables and chairs if you wanted to order food. The highlight for me was the cabanas. They were plentiful and everywhere, and there were enough on hand that most guest could have a quaint and comfortable spot. There were also lounge chairs and umbrellas that also gave you adequate coverage if you're not able to have a cabana. All in all, this part is simply beautiful. As I walked through the first portion of the pool area, I was looking for the magnificent pool that is the highlight of the property, showcased on the Marriott website. The staff informed us that it was a few minutes walk down the bricked path.

POOL AREA #2:
As we walked along, we followed the brick path which lead us through the resort. The entire resort is named Buenaventura. There you will pass the Marriott villas, private residences and cottages. There are also apartments and condos for rentals as well as for purchase at the front part of the property. The walk takes you past the tennis courts, as well as the volleyball courts (no nets were up during our stay). You will also walk under beautiful archways and other well appointed design during the walk to the secondary pool. In about 3-5 minutes, you will enter a secondary pool area...then bam, it hits you! There it is! The beautiful infinity edge pool view that's showcased on the website. This view is simply stunning. This portion of the pool area wasn't original to the hotel when first built. This portion was added in the last year or so. Staying consistent with the primary pool area, you have more canopied areas, as well as a beautiful pool. As you walk into the area, you have table and chairs available if you want to grab a quick bite before catching in the sun. From there you can feel the breeze and see the waters of the Pacific Ocean. As you make your way towards the beach, you see more cabanas, comfortable pool furniture, and various pool sizes and depths. As you get closer to the beach, you then see smaller rectangular pools. I think it's about 4 of them. They are not connected to the other pools and are situated with seating areas for up to 10 people, on both ends. They are surrounded with lounge furniture also. It literally looks like you have your own private pool. This is perfect for large families with smaller kids, because the kids can swim and play, without having to be in the other portions of the pool. This is a really nice perk. These pools are not private, not for purchase or rent. They are on a first come/first served basis. I would image that the private like pools are the first to go during the busy season, so prepare to be there early if you want to have your "own pool!"

BEACH:
As you pass the last private like pool, you are now looking into the Pacific Ocean. You hit the sand, pass more beach lounge chairs and then you realize....the sand is black! Yes, black, from all of the volcanic activity over the last several centuries. Though beautiful, if you are expecting white sandy beaches, then it's not the place for you. The water isn't clear and the waves were pretty strong. Overall, it's not the Caribbean, it's the Pacific, so keep that in mind.
There were a few that braved the waves, and I was told that its not as rough during the summer season, but I wouldn't have an interest in getting into the water. It's not worth the hassle. We decided to take a walk down the beach with our feet getting wet. As we walked, we looked at the new massive resort that's going up next door. The RIU All Inclusive. It will be 500+ rooms of sheer fun I'm sure. Open date, 2014.

RESTAURANTS:
There are 3 restaurants on site. A steak house (open only on weekend during low season), a sushi restaurant, and a traditional restaurant. You can also order standard food at the pool and bar areas of the resort. We did not eat at the steak house. They require reservations on the weekend however. Overall, the food was okay, but if you want true Panamanian food, I would suggest leaving the resort.

STAFF:
Now, it's gets tricky. Maybe it's because I'm American, though they were EXTREMELY NICE, most of the staff move as fast as sap seeping UP a tree. It seemed as if the entire staff is on the speed right below slow, whatever that's called. My guess is that it just has to be the culture of the people. They take things easy breezy. Prepare to be patient, you're on vacation, so don't get to worked up. Secondly, okay I'm American, and speak English, and can dabble a little Spanish. However, JW Marriott is a American company, headquartered in Maryland. Though it has a global presence, one would think that a portion of the staff would be able to speak English....minimally at least. This was the biggest challenge. Most of the staff could not speak or understand the most basic English. Not expecting the cleaning or grounds keeping staff to speak English, but the staff in the restaurant, taking our orders? Um, Yes. The front desk clerk? Um, definitely! They have ongoing English classes for the staff, but they clearly need to push it into overdrive if they truly want to get that North American customer (US & Canada).

PRICES:
My government rate was $147 per night. It was also the "low season" so rates are typically lower. They do offer an "all inclusive package" rate for those guest that would rather just pay a higher rate and eat and drink as much as they want, though some items are still restricted. If you have a family of 4, then the all inclusive may be your best option. If it's just 2 of you, and you are moderate drinkers at best, then you may want to just pay per item. I think the the all inclusive rate was $299+ taxes per night, with a 4 night minimum.

Tips are automatically included with every food/beverage purchase, 18% percent I think. They also give an additional line for an extra tip, so don't be confused, or tip twice...unless you want to of course. Room service charges you the same tip for your order, and then adds a $2 transportation fee. Internet on a daily rate is $14. For 3 days it's $35. For 5 days I think it's $50. The speed is decent and we were able to stream some movies on the iPad without major delays. The signal would drop every 45 minutes or so however. Worst case scenario, work the pool or hotel areas and find a Platinum Marriott member and ask for their last name and room number. They get free Wifi throughout the hotel and in rooms at no additional charge. Food prices are what you would expect in a hotel. Non local beers ($5) local beer ($3.50) liquors ($7-9) soft drinks/juice ($2.50).
They don't have golf courts to get you around, but do offer beach cruiser bikes at no fee! Just reserve one with the concierge. They also have tennis rackets and balls available for use, at no fee, if you want to play some tennis. This is good because I've been at other properties where they nickel and dime you to death.

EXCURSIONS:
For me, the prices for the excursions on the property were a little ridiculous. Jet ski $80 for 30 minutes, $100 for an hour I think it was...per person, one machine. As mentioned in my opening paragraph, Pacific Adventures is the onsite company that have the exclusive rights to be on the Marriott property. Other companies are available, but are based out of other resorts. It's all about supply and demand.

We went on a half day tour with Leading Adventures for $50 each, which last about 5 hours. This is when we had to chance to visit local restaurants, where the meal was $4.50 for a full sit down dinner, unlike the same $50 dinner at the hotel. Our tour guide was Alex and he was great. He also spoke very good English. Overall, negotiate your best price and see what happens. All they can say is no right? Also, the Pacific Adventures staff doesn't speak English that well also. When they don't understand, they just laugh it off and keep trying to sell you something.

OVERALL REVIEW:
I would give my experience and time at the hotel a grade of A-. Yet the hotel is great, there are still some areas of improvement. The language barrier is a bit much when you are trying to get that North American customer. I don't expect fluency, but at least understand my breakfast order when I say "scrambled eggs". Concierge also called the night before we were leaving, saying that if we needed anything during our stay, that he would be more than welcome to help us. Great, but why make the call on the last night? We received a newspaper the morning we were leaving, but never on the other mornings.

In a few years, Rio Hato is going to be a travel hot bed for beach seekers. If you are looking for a crazy party environment, this is not the place for you. If you want to relax, listen to light music, and feel the breeze..then this may very well be your place. In closing, I will definitely be going back to Rio Hato in the future, as well as this property. Safe travels!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Taron35
Dear Sir or Madam,

We would like to thank you for your recent visit. We sincerely appreciate your valuable feedback which will assist us in our commitment to continuously improve our products and services.

On behalf of the entire JW Marriott Panama staff, we would like to thank you for your comments.

Best regards,

Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I will start by saying I don't recommend this hotel not for the place itself but rather by the lack of good service. A Panamanian friend said the service in the entire country is worse than this and that I should feel lucky.
The room was a double room with a nice view. I immediately called reception in order to be changed to a king bed with my wife. The reception agent came up to the room and offered to show us two rooms one with no extra charge and one with an additional cost of $50 per night. The first room was the worst room in the hotel at the ground floor with a wall in front of the patio right by the entrance to the hallway where all the noise is concentrated. The second room had a nice view of the pool. What could we do we had just arrived so we took it not to ruin our entire experience. I then realized that the Internet was charged at $30 PER DEVICE for 3 days. I thought this was outrageous too. The a/c never worked very well in our room causing us to be constantly warm while sleeping. The installations were nice and the pool side service was good. The beach sand was partly black and the sea was rough in general due to the slope of the shore. One night we decided to go to the Kai Tai restaurant. I ordered Aqua Pana but was brought Panama Blue instead. Following I ordered some niguiris but was brought temakis instead. We tipped on top of the 10% already included gratuity to be nice yet the price was as high as good Japanese meal in New York City and not at all comparable in quality. The Italian restaurant by the pool took an hour to craft a simple plain pizza so I hope you are not in a rush before ordering. The spa was surprisingly well done and the massage we had was fantastic. The hotel is far from civilization which is nice in the sense that you have a feeling of it being private but this fact also leaves you with no optional dining or recreational choices that are outside the realm of the resort. The whole time the staff called me and my friend Mr. <my wife's last name> even after correcting them a few times and finally giving up. The place is bit of a tourist trap with high prices and promises that are broken after deciding to become a paying customer.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Danescobark
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire JW Marriott Panama Family - thank you for your feedback - very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Room is gorgeous. The bathroom opens to the main room which has a balcony. Very comfortable bed, modern shower. Feels like a luxury hotel.

Resort grounds are beautiful. This is a luxury resort that is very well planned and designed.

I gave it 5 stars and I would return to stay again myself and I would recommend it to friends. But here are my complaints:

-TV did not work. One day i turned it on and it showed a still photo from each channel with no audio. The next day i turned it on and it showed a blank screen with working audio for each channel. I did not care because I did not intend to watch much TV, and it was in Spanish anyways

-Wifi signal was weak in the bathroom. I guess I should put the smartphone down anyways while I'm in the bathroom, but it would be nice if the signal was stronger.

-Power went out during a t-storm one day, but quickly came back in a couple minutes. I don't hold this against Marriott as no one can control the weather. However, I would think a backup generator would have kicked in without delay.

-My order at the beach restaurant came with an item missing. When I asked, they said they were out of that item. They should inform the customer beforehand when they are out of something. Also, there is a language barrier as the servers only know minimal Enligsh.

-Slow service at the beach restaurant. Since I am on the beach away from the restaurant, I expect it takes 5 minutes to go and get a menu and 5 minutes to go and get food, but they were slow to follow up with me after i finished eating and slow to bring the check.

-The bar drinks are not very strong and for the price, you would think you get something nicer, but its just those standard crushed ice machines that make your pina colada. At luxury resorts, i expect pina coladas to be made with fresh pineapple juice and cream of coconut.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am very thankful for having brought to our attention the areas of opportunities you kindly detailed in your tripadvisor comments. It is only through the valuable feedback from loyal customers like you that we realize we are failing in satisfying our guest’s expectations.

Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is a great resort hotel with excellent amenities. We found the service to be friendly and efficient, although the off-peak season choice of restaurant was limited in the evening to either international or sushi.
One word of caution though, don't book a `garden room'. It might lead you to believe you will get a view of the hotel grounds. What you actually get is a cell-like box with a few plants at the far end, in front of the 2m high wall.
The spa services were very enjoyable, the massage was heavenly.

Room Tip: Don't book a `garden' room, unless you have recently been released from prison.