“Not much wildlife”

Private Guided Railroad Hike to Horton Plains Borders
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Ohiya
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Along with plenty of wildlife, a cliff known as World's End is a top attraction at this park.
Reviewed December 15, 2012

All we saw were birds and some lizards. Did hear a barking deer. Took us 90 minutes to do the trai loop and the falls. Both World's Ends were fogged in. One of the few places in Sri Lanka that you can hike in an arid/open environment, but limited and crowded tralis.

There are newer reviews for Horton Plains National Park

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'm only telling this story for others to watch out when deciding to do such a hike in a foreign country! Excuse me if it's long, but it's worth reading!

I was in Nuwara Eliya with 3 friends (we were 2 girls & 2 guys) for only one night .. We drove to Horton Plains by a bus that our tour driver arranged, which cost 4,500 rupees .. The ride took us 1.5 hours from the hotel, & the weather was very cold, yet we were prepared in terms of clothes, & we even had umbrellas & water .. We knew the hike is 9km long & it should take around 3 hours ..

We started the hike, enjoying the tough yet beautiful path & scenery .. We reached Little World's End & then Worlds’ End .. It was around 09:30 am when we moved towards Baker Falls, but only because it started to rain! Until that moment, things were fine for us ..

Rain was becoming heavy, we were getting so wet, we ran out of water, the path started to be filled with water & it was very slippery! There were spots where we literally had to walk through water covering half of our bodies! There was simply NO other way to walk! We no longer saw any people, any signs, nothing! We didn't know how far we were from Baker Falls or the exit, & there was no turning back, cuz we didn't know how bad the path would be there! We started to hear the falls, & there were 2 paths & no sign to guide you which is the correct one that leads to the falls! Both paths were literally between the trees! We took the first one which was wrong & we had to come back & take the second one .. Rain was very very heavy & we started to see some people coming back from the falls .. We chatted with a couple & they moved on .. We decided to skip the falls & continue towards the exit .. We could those couple we chatted with ahead of us, they were faster .. We stopped few times for 5-10 minutes, hoping for rain to stop, but it didn't .. All this time, we could see those couple stopping every now & then & looking back at us .. We passed a dam, then we reached to river! For some reason, those couple managed to cross it before it became fast & strong .. The saw us standing at the bank wondering how to cross it .. The guy advised us to cross it as a line holding on tight to each other, which was the BIGGEST mistake!!!! The river wasn't very deep, water was covering our legs only, yet it was FAST & STRONG! The moment we reached the middle, that guy asked my guy friend at the front to reached out to him with the umbrella to pull us, but my friend slipped!!!! We all did!!!! We were all literally being pulled SO fast to the dam & we were still under the water holing on to each other!!!! I won't talk about my own feelings here, cuz the feeling of drowning & knowing you might die at any moment is indescribable!!!! :"( .. God wanted us to live .. We all managed at one point to get our heads out the water & reached to the bank & hold on to bushes to pull ourselves out of the water .. 3 of us were on one side, but my boyfriend was on the other side! All this time those couple were there watching what was happening .. They went down to us asking us to go up the hill .. The guy said he'll stay with my boyfriend while the of us go & bring help .. My guy friend walked ahead of us under the rain, I was going mad fearing for my boyfriend's life! My girl friend hurt her elbow so bad but only felt it when we reached the exit, & the girl who was with us was very calm & helping us to walk to the exit .. Before reaching we saw our guy friend on the way back with 3 other men .. They were workers in the park, with NO equipment whatsoever for such emergencies! They didn't speak English very well & it was hard to explain to them what happened .. Just right before we climbed to the exit, we saw a tourist couple with a guide from the park & they were coming down the stairs to hike as if the weather was perfect for this! We were so pissed off at the irresponsible guide & yelled at them to go back cuz it was VERY dangerous! We reached to the small restaurant at the exit & that girl asked for towels to warm us up, but they hardly had anything there! She ordered tea & chocolate to bring our sugar level up & they workers there made us pay for it at the end!!!! How very nice of them!!!! Our bus driver was freaking out & called our tour driver telling him what happened .. It was very weird of him that although he knew exactly how long the hike should take, yet he didn't bother to question why we were this late or send someone to look for us! A while later, the workers that my friend took with him came back with my boyfriend, the guy who stayed with him & another 3-4 people who were also stuck with my boyfriend .. My boyfriend started going through his panic attack, yet that girl managed to calm him down .. She was simply an ANGEL that God has sent ot us with her friend .. We left the park around 2:30 pm, which was VERY late for such a hike! It kept raining the whole 1.5 hours ride back to the hotel! & our bus drive kept warning people driving on the way to Horton Plains about the condition & what happened to us ..

This is the worst experience anyone could EVER go through .. It was near death experience .. There was absolutely no attention or guidance from the park workers! They didn't inform us anything about the weather condition & the chance of rain .. We knew in advance how the weather would be in Nuwara Eliya in general, but in such a MASSIVE park there should be proper information about the weather before they even let us pay for the entrance! There were no proper signs whatsoever about the path, it was only when you reach one of those spots! & the "rescue" workers that my friend brought has NO idea what was happening or what to do .. They asked my boyfriend & the other people with him to walk further up the hill between the bushes to a spot where the river was a bit narrow & pulled them with one of the workers belt!!!!

Although I'm a fan of hiking, but this place is VERY dangerous! Simple, if it's going to rain DO NOT go!

p.s. My rating is based on the scenery NOT the experience ..

12  Thank Damdoom81
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Horton Plains National Park is one of the best must see place in sri lanka. but many of individual free travelers don't like to go because of Transport problem. here is the tip. if you take a taxi from nuwara eliya, it;s highly cost ( cheapest is Rs.2400 tuk tuk for go & come). Take a bus to '' pattipola" from nuwara eliya. If you get down at " abewela juntion" easy to get a taxi because there are many, or eals go to ' pattipola' and talk to railway station master. He is very kind and he will help you to find taxi. Because there are village people who have tuk tuk but no hire. It cost rs.1500 to Horton Plains go and come including waiting charges. Also if you take a car/jeep/van , entrance charge is high. so tuk tuk is the cheapest way. Many web site says only 4wd jeep can go there but that is not ture. After you finished, either you can go to nuwara eliya by bus or take a train to '' nanu oya'' or next town '' haputale ''

travel on 08/11/2012

13  Thank Aruna W
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We no need to specially highlight this area. Everybody, every tour operator is planing to visit this area defiantly.

Just visit and get a grate experience about Sri Lanka...

1  Thank Shammie
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This site, like so many in Sri Lanka, carries a hefty price tag. It costs about $28 for one visitor after all the crazy fees are added up--entry fee, service charge (not that you get any), government taxes, and another fee to allow the car/van that brought you there to be allowed into the park. It will cost you extra if you want a guide. I didn't hire one; there were so many visitors walking the trail, I just followed them. And, of course, it will cost you to hire the car/van that drives to the park. When you consider that it costs $6 to see the pyramids of Egypt, $7 for the Great Wall of China, and $12 for the Grand Canyon, $28 feels way out of whack.

10  Thank Mikxe