“Excellent”

Sounds of Silence Experience
Book In Advance
$742.27*
and up
3-Day Best of Australia's Red Center: Ayers Rock, Kata Tjuta and Sounds of...
$742.27*
and up
3-Day Alice Springs to Uluru (Ayers Rock) Highlights Tour including Sounds of...
$414.24*
Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Sounds of Silence Dinner in 3 Days
More attraction details
Owner description: Your Sounds of Silence experience begins with canapes and chilled sparkling wine served on a viewing platform overlooking the Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park. Watch as the sun sets over Uluru and feel the immense quiet carried on the breeze over this ancient inland sea. As darkness falls, listen to the haunting sound of a didgeridoo and wander down to join your table for an unforgettable introduction to Aboriginal culture through traditional dance followed by a bush tucker inspired buffet dining experience under the desert night sky, with only the distant domes of Kata Tjuta and red sand for walls. Sit back and relax while you enjoy your first course. Our attentive staff will keep your glass topped up with quality Australian wine and beer so you will want for nothing while you absorb your unique surroundings and meet your fellow table guests. As the night sky twinkles to life, help yourself to an outback buffet that incorporates native bush ingredients such as crocodile, kangaroo, barramundi and quandong. There are salads, barbecued meats and vegetables, as well as a luscious dessert course served with Australian tawny port. After dinner, settle back and listen to our resident star talker decode the southern night sky. Locate the Southern Cross, the signs of the zodiac, the Milky Way, as well as planets and galaxies that are visible due to the exceptional clarity of the atmosphere. Enjoy a steaming hot cup of tea or coffee before you head back to the resort.
Reviewed February 19, 2011

I thought this was excellent. It is expensive but so are all the tours at Aters Rock. The scenery is stunning, food very good and you are mixed in tables of 8 so if you are by yourself or want to meet some new people it is a great way to do this. I would really recommend!

1  Thank TravellingSnibs

Reviewed November 30, 2010

This is an excellent experience not to be missed. We did this on our second last night (out of four) at the Uluru area and were lucky enough to have a mostly rainless night. The other nights had rain -- felt bad for those groups!

The company was good, the food was good, and the quiet desert was awesome. Also had nice images of both Uluru and Kata Tjuta off in the distance. Most of the nights were clouded over so didn't see many stars which was kind of a bummer. I ended up getting my great view of the stars up near Kings Canyon instead at 4AM!

To the people complaining about the value for money, remember that they have to truck all of this in just to the area and then they have to pre-stage all of this food from the resort out to the remote area. I think they do a superb job and have no issue at all with the cost or the type of food served. I don't understand the comments about the beer served. Their selection was all standard Aussie beers. I didn't expect gourmet local brewery beer out in the middle of the Outback...

Do not miss this experience -- when will you ever be able to say you had a decent sit down meal in the *Outback* again?

1  Thank cdycdy
Reviewed November 25, 2010

I'm an American living in Sydney. My parents recently visited me and we made a trip to Uluru.

I was pretty disappointed with the sounds of silence after reading many positive reviews here on tripadvisor. I wanted to post my own experience since it contradicts many I've seen here.

Bus picked us up at our hotel lobby. Took us about 500 yards away from the resort to a clearing in the desert. We probably could have walked there faster than it took to drive to every hotel at the resort to pick up dinner guests. Once there, we were served wine and beer and canapés (also known as hors d'oeuvres). I drink beer and the only beer they served was Crown Lager. This is the second cheapest Australian beer on the market. (the first is VB). The canapés consisted of kangaroo, crocodile, and salmon. They quickly ran out of canapés and did not bring new platters. This seemed a little stingy for the money spent. The canapés were either tasteless or very dry.

On to the main course. It was a buffet and our tables were called up one at a time. The food was a mixed bag. The salads and vegetables were good and tasty but the meat was overcooked, especially the lamb. For the money, I expected a lot better quality food.

The entertainment consisted of an Aussie dude playing a didgeridoo and then a guy discussing the stars. I found it a little contrived and not very entertaining.

The stars were gorgeous but you could rent a car and drive out to the desert to get the same experience (and for less money!). I didn't find the dinner that special. For this kind of money, you could have the dinner of your life anywhere in Sydney.

4  Thank dr0pkick
Reviewed November 18, 2010

Sounds of Silence. Uuru

Just did it beginning of Nov 2010. We got picked up by a coach, two other coaches full of other guests were right behind us. That with the type of people who greet you in the language of their home country, wear safari gear and cling on to their handbags since the world is so dangerous and you never know...

We were sitting right behind the driver, someone over radio told him how bored she is of waiting for tourists. Nice. Have to say the driver was very friendly though.

Take your binoculars so that you are able to have a good look at Uluru and Kata Tutja while sipping sparkling wine.

Guests had to sit at big round tables in groups of ten. Scenery is nice, but you can't really enjoy it since there are so many people around you. The evening is maybe more suited to the tourist who tends to get a bit anxious when let of a leash and left without a tour guide.

Dinner was ok, nothing out of the ordinary but some food. Table by table was asked to the buffet at a certain time. Very off putting. But then again, if you are into group travelling, you don't know it any other way and won't experience it as awkward. Not very cool if you are in the last group, since everyone else had already had their hands on the buffet.

During 'feeding time' some guy played the Didgeridoo for a couple of minutes.

The commentary about the night skies was rather disappointing, not really that informative but brief. I expected to hear and learn something from it.

Then we were taken back to the pick up point.

I am clueless about how they made it into the Australian Tourism Hall of Fame. Reckon it is fairly easy to get it awarded.

In case you are are a fan of big group travels and don't feel comfortable enough doing things on your own on vacation, go for it. This is your tour.

If you love nature, open spaces and silence and if you are interested in the night skies do not even think about attending 'Sounds of Silence'.

This is mass tourism at its best! The cost p.P. with 115 EUR/GBP 99 appeared rather inexpensive, considering how overpriced Australia is in general (has got nothing to do with the current exchange rate).

6  Thank TravelsFromAtoZ
Reviewed November 7, 2010

A fantastic memory ... A must .... great atmosphere with lots of happy interesting people enjoying a spectacular dining experience ... the staff were great ...the food great (remember where you are) ...and the drinks flowing

The guided tour through the stars was delivered beautifully and the trail blazing shooting stars (x3) were included with no extra cost ;-)... there were also telescopes setup so that you could take a closer look ...

1  Thank A_gilly