“Terrible Rip-off - Rally unplesant experience”

Sounds of Silence Experience
Book In Advance
$612.65*
and up
3-Day Ultimate Ayers Rock Experience: Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Sounds of Silence...
$750.68*
and up
3-Day Best of Australia's Red Center: Ayers Rock, Kata Tjuta and Sounds of...
$750.68*
and up
3-Day Alice Springs to Uluru (Ayers Rock) Highlights Tour including Sounds of...
More attraction details
Owner description: Your Sounds of Silence experience begins with canapes and chilled sparkling wine served on a viewing platform overlooking the Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park. Watch as the sun sets over Uluru and feel the immense quiet carried on the breeze over this ancient inland sea. As darkness falls, listen to the haunting sound of a didgeridoo and wander down to join your table for an unforgettable introduction to Aboriginal culture through traditional dance followed by a bush tucker inspired buffet dining experience under the desert night sky, with only the distant domes of Kata Tjuta and red sand for walls. Sit back and relax while you enjoy your first course. Our attentive staff will keep your glass topped up with quality Australian wine and beer so you will want for nothing while you absorb your unique surroundings and meet your fellow table guests. As the night sky twinkles to life, help yourself to an outback buffet that incorporates native bush ingredients such as crocodile, kangaroo, barramundi and quandong. There are salads, barbecued meats and vegetables, as well as a luscious dessert course served with Australian tawny port. After dinner, settle back and listen to our resident star talker decode the southern night sky. Locate the Southern Cross, the signs of the zodiac, the Milky Way, as well as planets and galaxies that are visible due to the exceptional clarity of the atmosphere. Enjoy a steaming hot cup of tea or coffee before you head back to the resort.
Sydney, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“Terrible Rip-off - Rally unplesant experience”
Reviewed June 22, 2007

This is such a waste of money:

- Having to sit with tables of random strangers of what is supposedly a special dinner
- it was freezing, the night was 1Degree and there was just some of those gas outdoor heaters which was definately not enough for the 80 or so people present
- I am not sure if it was because it was so cold but by the time you returned from lining up to get your food it was cold!
- The bus was 60mins late to pick us up they advertsing it as a 4-5 hour event and because it was so freezing we were desperate for the bus to come so when the event was 6.5 hours it was not plesant.
- We also had pathetic people drinking too much and attempting to get on the bus while vomitting in their hands

All of these pleasures for $150 per head - Another Voyages rip-off. Do not waste your money especially not when it is cold. The only good thing was the star man who told a great story.

7 Thank PhilippaL

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Akron, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A wonderful night”
Reviewed May 19, 2007

excellent, wonderfully organized, and awesome service, you feel like the staff are there for your own personal service even though you are not alone. Do not feel afraid about trying it alone. However if you are attending it solo be awre you are pying the price for two, so find a quick date! Believe it or not many of the attractive and personable employees have not experienced it so if you are charming enough offer to take one of them, It will make the night so much more interesting...

Kent
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Do not miss this trip”
Reviewed February 22, 2007

I am sorry that the previous reviewer had such an awful time on The Sounds of Silence trip. The actions of other people tend to overshadow otherwise very good events. The elements also have an uncanny knack of ruining even the best organised events so I must redress the balance of this very well organised and worthwhile trip.

We cannot recommend this trip highly enough. All the components to make this evening so special were there. The weather was superb- a warm light breeze. The company excellent and the food just perfect.

We arrived at the site to our champagne and canapes. We did not know anyone else on this trip but soon made talk with a number of people. We all had our fair shareof champagne although the canapes were a little harder to track down but once found we tried a few.. The Rock was straight in front of us and the sun was setting to our right over the Olgas- so two good views.

We then proceeded to our tables for the evening. I had already read that these were shared tables and we had an excellent mix of people on ours who all had stories to tell of their travels in OZ. We were still able to see the Rock from our table. Wine, water and soft drinks were all available. We started with a peach and champagne soup which was different to say the least! A guy was playing the digeridoo which was good. The main course was buffet and we were invited up to this area table by table so no stampeding here. The choice was good and for a few more daring diners the choice was different! This area was well lit and we were able to easily choose our food. The tables were lit by large candles and it was darker at the tables, but we had seen what we had chosen and it all tasted very good and was hot. The desserts were dealt with the same and we chose table by table. I cannot remember if there was coffee.

Then they blew the candles out and we were asked to switch off phones and cameras. The star gazing was magnificent. It was wall to wall stars and various famous sights were pointed out to us.

It is unlikely that we will ever experience something like this again. Light pollution around the world makes star gazing a lottery but this was the most perfect of places. We were collected at I think 6.30pm and arrived back at the hotel at about 11.15pm.

6 Thank appletreeKent
Bournemouth Dorset England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Sounds like a rip off.”
Reviewed October 27, 2006

My wife, son and I visited the Red Centre in February 2006, Uluru and the surrounding areas are truly magnificent and very much worth a trip out to see them. Being a mildly romantic couple my wife and I booked the Sounds of Silence Dinner with its romantic setting in the desert, sumptuous gourmet food under the star filled heavens with the haunting sounds of a didgeridoo player weaving his magic in the back ground. This meal cost us approximatley £70.00 each.
On arrival at the 'special location' the weather took a turn for the worse and the wind started to blow really hard, do not wear white clothes as all the area is coverd in red sand and if the wind blows it around it sticks to your clothes and does not come out in the wash. We were then all given a welcoming glass of champagne, well all the people who stampeded to the drinks table and bolted down as much free bubbly as they could. So without a drink we were seated and found that six strangers were also going to share the same table as us for our 'romantic meal' Without going into any details about our dinning companions I have to say that they helped ruin the night as they seemed intent on taking as many pictures of each other as possible and all by flash photography ! By this time the weather had clouded over so much that it was dark but because the lights that guide you to the toilet were on a timer set for an hour later it made going to the toilet quite perilous. Eventually they did come on and that made it much easier to see the giant spider lodged in the toilet with you which pleased my wife no end (not)! In the brochures it states that there are canapes, if there were any my wife and I certainly did not see any.
As soon as we were seated the wine waiters started circling with bottles of red or white wine which was very nice and our waiter was the only good point of the whole debacle as he remained attentive all evening as he knew we were not enjoying ourselves. However on the next table was a 'gentleman' who was enjoying himself, he could not drink the wine fast enough and kept shouting "more wine" at the top of his voice. Australia have a strict code about serving intoxicated people more alcohol but this did not prevent him from consuming several bottles of wine. We were then told that the food was ready and that we were to queue up and help our selves from a motorway services style counter! (£70 a head), another stampede ensued and by the time my wife and I got there at least one of the main dishes had gone with all the other dishes being polverised by the hordes before us. I cannot discribe the food but awful does not come anywhere close, it was terrible.
About the same time we sat down to eat it started to rain hard because it doesnt normally rain in the desert there are no parasols or anything like that to shelter under, so if you can imagine the scene, my wife and I are sat at a table in the rain with plates of inedible food before us with six strangers who explode flash bulbs in our faces at regular intervals all the while the chap next door is shouting "more wine" at the top of his voice !
After fifteen minutes or so the rain stopped but because they expected it to start again the organisers decided to bring on the resident astronomer whislt we were still eating ! This chap then proceded to point his powerful torch into the sky and say things like "if you could see behind these clouds you would be able to see Jupiter" ! This expert prattled on about nothing apart from his torch (as there was nothing to see) for ten minutes and then disappeared. The didgeridoo player rather than weave his magic on us decide not to turn up and go to the pub instead and I for one dont blame him except for the fact he could have took us with him and spared my wife and I from this fiasco!
In the brochure they state that the duration of the meal is four hours this was (much to my relief) not the case and it ended much sooner than that.
On the coach back to the hotels the "more wine" chap decided to vomit into the aisle of the coach not just once but three times so when it was time to get off we had to wade through his disgusting mess.
To cap everything off my wife later came down with food poisoning and was ill all that night and most of the next day.
The next day I complained to the Ayers Rock Resort operator stating all the things that had been wrong excluding the weather of course but he just dismissed everything out of hand. I was totally shocked by his seemingly cant be botherd attitude and even though he wasnt there came up with the ridiculous excuses without even consulting one of his colleges who was there.
I urge you not to go this excursion, stay at your hotel bar and have a roo burger with your pint, you never know the didgeridoo player might be there having a pint as well !
Sorry no pictures, why would I want any !

16 Thank Smartsontour