“Neglected”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Centre
Kings Canyon Resort Campground
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Being close to Kings Canyon is the only reason to stay here. We paid around $39 dollars per night and stayed two nights. The camping area was in a dusty paddock and full of prickles and only one tree for shade in the entire area. The only grassed area for camping was inside a fence, near the entrance, the pool and the shops...so sleep value = 0. If the toilet/shower block was cleaned in the time we were there it was impossible to notice. The experience of visiting Kings Canyon makes this all seem trivial but hey no one likes to feel like they are not getting value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travelbugsonthego

Reviewed February 6, 2014

It is low season in this area and we paid $45 for one night powered site. Toilets, showers, pool, campkitchen were not clean. It is not enough to have a 5 star reception when the campground is just 2 stars. I saw a lot of campgrounds in australia, for one like this I paid $25-30, not more.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Patrick A
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We camped here because there really is no choice if you want to climb the canyon at this time of year. We came across "the dirt" from the north and arrived around 6. The man staffing the swanky reception was friendly and kind but that's where it ended. We've been on the road five weeks and this was by far the worst site we've come across. We needed a powered site for a tent and he charged us accordingly however, the powered sites were all on solid dirt that you couldn't get a peg into so we went onto the grass with the unpowered campers. The camp kitchen was atrocious... there was no working cooker, none of the barbeques available had any gas. There was really nowhere to cook! For that money I don't expect to have to break out my camp stove which I lent to other campers (they obviously want you to eat at their restaurant). After much searching I finally found a fridge that worked and wasn't filthy. The amenities were poor and the whole place is really run down. They obviously never read the Trip Advisor reviews.... they don't have to because there is no choice the next nearest place to stay is 40kms down the road which would have meant adding 80kms to our trip. Everything there was ridiculously expensive. I know they are remote but hey there are vans going in every day. What kind of impression it gives our non aussie visitors I dread to think. I agree with previous reviewers. Camp climb and move on! My tip to the resort. Spend less on reception and bring your amens up to date. Rubbish!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Tessa H
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the quad share, staff very friendly. found beds uncomfortable shower block clean and close to rooms dining areas not far from rooms either. Not much of a choice out here though so other than a lack of sleep found it to be ok

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Westy69
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Oh dear, where do I start?
The Reception area looks very impressive, like a 4 star hotel and is airconditioned. Terribly slow service though.
We were charged $42 per night for a couple for a powered campsite..... this is not the only place to stay close by, but Kings Creek Station charge the same amount and when we stopped in to buy an icecream there, it just didnt appeal to us.
We paid for 2 nights and wished we had only paid for 1.
Shade is at a premium and despite all the room there, you are placed hard on top of the next tent/caravan/camper.
The amenities were a disgrace! I don't think they get cleaned too often...... hair in the plug holes in the showers, basins hadnt been wiped clean, shower heads leaking or broken, toilets drity, nowhere to hang your clothes inside the shower cubicle as the hooks were missing.
My husband said the Men's amenities were worse and he took photos to prove it!
As it was so hot, we thought the pool might be worth a look, but it was full of kids from a Church Group visiting, bombing, splashing and yelling and there was no shade to speak of.
The next day, the pool looked absolutely GROSS. Brown and in desperate need of a clean.The family camped next to us said they were up there and suggsted to one of the maintenance guys that the pool needed a clean and the filter should be put on and he replied "I will put the filter on when I am [--] good and ready!"...nice.
We spoke to a few people camped around us who were getting out earlier than planned, as they couldnt believe how bad it was.
We made the mistake of having a meal in the Restaurant there..... the flies were SO bad that we couldnt finish our meal.... and we were seated INSIDE! We spoke to some overseas visitors and told them that we Aussies dont usually eat with the flies, as we certainly didnt want them to get the wrong impression.
Unfortunately I think that the whole place must leave a bad impression to whoever stays there!

Despite the amount of money charged, it appears that NONE goes back into maintenance or improvements.

My recommendation would be to stay one night only... get up and pack early and do the Rim Walk and get going!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Aly5860
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed in our caravan at King's Canyon Resort which was fairly basic and we had to drive up to the resort itself to use a pool as the caravan park one was closed.

The amenities could have been cleaner considering the park was not very busy. Ask for one of the back sites facing the range and you'll love the spectacular sunrises and sunsets and the ever changing colours. We set up our chairs and some wine each day and this glorious setting made up for the average amenities and the location is perfect for a visit to the Canyon which is one of the best hikes I've ever done, the whole family loved it even with the opening 500 step climb.

Make sure you come equipped with your own beer, wine etc - 2 beers at the on site pub saw change of 20cents from a $20!!

Room Tip: Ask for a campsite overlooking the range and take your own food and drinks
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rach2911
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have just spent the last two nights at the camp grounds. Some sites were excellent but we lucked into a fairly crowded area. The sites overlooking the mountains at the rear of the camp ground would be the choice spots. Quiet and picturesque. We looked into a kitchen/ games area which appeared to be operated by a tour operator and four very close caravans in all other directions. My main issue was the filthy and unhygienic toilet block. When we arrived they were dirty and were not cleaned for the first 24 hours. We complained twice and a manager eventually arrived and ordered a surface clean and then a total clean the next day day. As we were leaving I looked into another toilet block and that was as dirty and no cleaner in sight. Making a fuss made a difference but we should not have to do this. As an Australian I felt embarrassed that we offer such facilities to international tourists.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple