“Overpriced”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Katherine
Ringwood, Australia
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

On travelling from Darwin and arriving rather late this was the first motel that my wife and I noticed.
The receptionist was very pleasant when approached and being tired we accepted the room offerred. The room was average for a 3star but certainly not 4 star. That is where the good report stops, the restaurant was only serving "Stone grill" we ordered and were so dissapointed that I commented to the man taking the money that "This was the worst meal that I have had the disspleasure of paying for" well over priced and very poorly presented. The bar was closing early even though I wanted to have a drink 8pm on a Sunday is pretty poor considering the 4star tag. Overall it spoilt the start of a good week off.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere in Katherine first.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bryn H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Being walking distance from all shops, pubs and eating holes, Paraway Motel is a decent option if you're looking to stay in the town area of Katherine. Rooms are basic but tidy, and the general grounds, including the pool and garden areas, are well kept. Temporary workers and bus loads of tour groups are common clients here, but there is still a quiet ambience to the place. The car park is also secure. Some staff are really friendly, but others not so much. If you're looking for a place to stay in and around Katherine town, then Paraway Motel is definitely an option to consider.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Daz H
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Accomodation is ok, this is not a four star motel, staff were friendly but not enough of them. The Restruant is ok, not a lot of choices in Katherine, we had the Stone Rock and cooked a steak on it at our table, meat is ok. Not a great wine list if you are seeking something special.

Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Classik H
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is my second stay at this Hotel and it was so disappointing. My room, as before, was essentially clean, light and airy (which is why I liked this Hotel) but there were some fundamental failings which really let this place down. Firstly - the state of the balcony outside my room - tin cans full of cigarette butts - window sills covered in bugs and webs of some kind and a filthy table top were really off putting. The young staff member on check-in was almost comatose - with basic pleasantries apparently not in her job description. And when I asked for a plug for the basin you would have thought I had wanted something completely unreasonable. And I didn't wind up with a plug. Clearly you have to provide your own! On my second night some guests in a nearby room started fighting and screaming for over 45 minutes before any one intervened. It was completely unacceptable, the situation should never been allowed to escalate to the pint it did and didn't make for a pleasant nights sleep. It is a shame as this was a reasonable choice for me on my many business trips to katherine - but I will certainly think twice before staying again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Xen_Paul
Ashburton, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Good location just on the edge of town. Rooms really spacious and very clean. Lovely pool and spa and outdoor seating area. Managers were extremely helpful and, as I didn't have a car, dropped me off for scenic flight and to bus. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank joanne s
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Because Trip Advisor doesn’t list the ‘Carriage Restaurant’ in Katherine I will do my review here.
Well yesterday was our 4th wedding anniversary and we are running out of options in Katherine for somewhere to celebrate.
The Carriage Restaurant is one of our last places to try in this small town of 10,000 people.
Not knowing how popular this place might be and considering it is now smack bang in the middle of the tourist season, I thought that I had better book this one.
Over the phone talking to Lauren whilst making the booking, I dropped the ‘We will be celebrating our 4th anniversary you know’ line.
Not thinking anyone would really care; I put the phone down and promptly forgot about the booking until the day came.
We turned up on our celebratory night and were met with smile and a warm and sincere welcome.
Making our way to the ‘restaurant area’ we were taken by the number of people already seated at bare tables in what looked like a cafateria. Apparently they were part of a bus tour and were being catered for out of a Bain Marie.
Here in a quiet corner was a table set complete with table cloth, flowers and an array of cutlery that would even please Matt Preston.
Once seated at our ‘special table’ we were offered drinks and given the menu.
We were also told that another ‘special table’ had been set up outside, in case we changed our minds.
We waited 30 minutes before getting the entrée; however our waitress apologised and assured us we would receive a discount on the bill for our inconvenience.
As we were in no hurry, we really didn’t mind the wait.
The staff also explained how the ‘Stone Grill’ works, should we choose that menu.
For starters we shared oysters Kilpatrick. The dish was delicious, although chef was a little heavy handed with the BBQ sauce.
My wife ordered the garlic prawns from the ala carte menu and I ordered the seafood selection from the ‘Stone Grill’ menu.
The garlic prawns were presented on a cold plate in a milky sauce with a small garnish. Appetising as they were, there was something missing from the dish.
My wife took advantage of my ‘Stone Grill’ and warmed up the prawns on it before eating them.
The seafood selection consisted of a small fillet of barramundi and a small fillet of fresh salmon with 2 scallops and 2 mussels in their shell on the side.
Also on the side there was a selection of steamed fresh vegetables with a choice of either shoe string chips or mashed potato. There was also a choice of dipping sauces. I chose the hot chilli sauce.

What I like about the ‘Stone Grill’ is the versatility of how you can arrange the cooking and eating order of the components of this dish.
I chose to remove the shell fish from their shells first and cook and eat them whilst my fish cooked.
You can just as easily leave the shell fish in the shell and cook and eat them at the end of the meal.
My only criticism of this dish is the heavy accompanying sauce.
I would rather see a lighter sauce that you could drizzle over the food as you cook it.
A light, garlic, white wine and lemon sauce would really do this dish some justice.
Equally if you ordered a beef dish, a garlic, chilli and red wine sauce would be magic if added whilst cooking the red meat.
On finalising our bill we were given a very generous discount and we tipped our waitress for her outstanding service and devotion to her job. Three cheers to ‘Koolan’ you really know how to look after your customers and thanks again for the special touches. You made our night something special to remember.
Overall we enjoyed the experience at this restaurant and look forward to returning to try the ‘Stone Grill’ beef next time.
9Jul12

Room Tip: Try the 'Stone Grill' you wont be disapointed!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SharkeyNT
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

The Paraway is situated very close to town - has a large selection of rooms and a reasonable pool to cool down in. Much needed in this part of the world. The staff are, in the main, friendly and e establishment is quiet with a lovely garden surrounding both the pool and bar-restaurant. The downside is the restaurant. I am vegetarian and there is virtual noting to eat other than a fairly ordinary pasta dish. Mind you, vegetarian is not something well understood or catered for in this part of the world anyway. Breakfast was also pretty light on - but you can always supplement by buying food and eating in your room. The rooms, especially the executive rooms, are large, bright and comfortable. Always pay the extra for these. They are up high which gives you a little peace and quiet - a must after an exhausting day of traveling about or going to meetings.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are worth the extra money. Buy your own breakfast provisions and be prepared if you...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business