“The Beagle Inn Is No Dog When it Comes to Service!”
Review of Beagle Motor Inn

Beagle Motor Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Katherine
Darwin, Australia
“The Beagle Inn Is No Dog When it Comes to Service!”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I have had the pleasure of residing at the Beagle Inn a dozen or more times in the last year. I always go back for one reason; it's simply the best in Katherine. Judging from comments, some on 'Trip Advisor', some I have overheard on my many visits: The Beagle is not everyone's 'cup of tea',

I suspect that's due to traveler's misconceptions about the standards of accommodation the Northern Territory (NT) has to offer. Put simply, accommodation in the NT is expensive, over priced and of general poor standard. I am pleased to say the Beagle does not belong in this company!

But how do you judge and select accommodation if your new to the NT? I suggest forget all your notions of accommodation in the eastern states. In the NT, lack of competition and big demand means facilities and service can be poor: But, the bookings still come. Forget any notions of 3,4 or 5 star: They simply mean nothing.

The trick is to know what you want. Do you want fine dining? Don't go to the Beagle. Do you want pretentious service and long waits while your selected meal is cooked? Don't go to the Beagle.

However: Do you want lashings of amazing home cooked meals? Do you want attentive friendly service from staff who want to help, but have no aires and graces? Do you want basic but clean rooms and at a reasonable price? Do you like relaxing in a family lounge type environment after a long day? Do you like a dynamic crowd? You never know who you will meet in the bar of the Beagle: Bushies, tradesmans, back packers, grey nomads, hunters and adventurers! If this is the type of stay for you, then the Beagle Inn is your first choice for Katherine!

After all the Beagle Inn is no dog when it comes to service!

Room Tip: if your a mature traveler probably best to book one of the larger slightly more expensive rooms away...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter V
Joanne W, General Manager at Beagle Motor Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Peter V,

Thank you for taking the great length of time to write such a comprehensive review of your thoughts and experiences.
I am sure it assists guests to put aspects of the Beagle Motor Inn and accommodation in the NT in general in perspective.
Thank you again for sharing your honest thoughts and exactly what you see and experience.
We look forward to welcoming you again when you are next in Katherine.
We really appreciate your feedback and support.

Joanne and Sam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
darwin
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed recently for business and must say my refurbished room has the best bed in Katherine.
Room was spacious, very clean and didn't have those terrible old bedspreads!!!
Bathroom too had been refurbished and was very clean and included nice complimentary bath products. There was austar and a jug of cold water in the room for arrival.
A restaurant on site is open for breakfast and offers a choice of 2 meals for dinner.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Joanne W, General Manager at Beagle Motor Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear RockyDarwin,

Thank you very much for posting your review. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our refurbished rooms were clean and comfortable.
We note that you were down on business and we certainly hope that we can welcome you again to the Beagle when next you are in Katherine.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here two weeks ago on Monday for 3 nights..it was our first trip to Katharine. Joanne recommended the dinner cruise for us, we had the best evening cruising up the Gorge beautiful, food, wine and met some lovely people. I have never stayed at a place where you are so well looked after, from the lady who runs the laundry, the wee welsh girl at breakfast and the front counter ,Sam and Joanne. They truly need to be recognised for their great service The rooms are spotless and very comfortable. if anyone should complain about this place you must be very, very hard to please ..thankyou again. Claire and Danny, Brisbane.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Claire and Danny,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Beagle and for mentioning all the team members who contributed to making your stay an enjoyable one. I knew you would love the dinner cruise at Nitmiluk as it is a wonderful local experience that we are all very proud of.

It is wonderful to read such lovely comments and we are super pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
If you are in Katherine again, we would love to see you again.

Kind Regards,
Joanne and Sam and the Team
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Having just stayed a night in Darwin for same price and two nights in Cooinda for nearly double the price, Beagle is great value. Surprise complimentary breakfast was thrown in which was cooked beautifully. Great customer service and very friendly too, bed was comfortable and room was clean, we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jeffrey G55,

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences regarding your stay at the Beagle. It is very pleasing to read that you found your stay to be good value for money. We don't dramatically inflate our prices during the dry season as we try to keep our prices at a point where they are value for money.
We wish you safe travels.

Kind Regards,
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Saw the website and though - this place looks great. So, I booked it for my one night stay as I passed through Katherine on my way home to Tennant Creek from Darwin. Here is a summary of my experience. I stayed in a budget room @$120 for the night with breakfast

Pros:
Good location
Friendly staff
Well kept gardens
Clean room

Cons:
-Hardest bed I have ever slept on
-Air con woudlnt go onto the 'heat setting'. This was frustrating because the temperature got down to 12 degrees and all that was on my bed was a sheet and a very thin duvet sheet. There was no blanket in the room at all so I froze. Ended up stealing the spare sheet of te second bed for a bit of warmth but it didnt help much.
-NO facewasher/flannel or hand towel. This was really annoying; isnt it common sense to put these items in a room? Yet, I was given three towels so go figure.
-Extremely thin curtains. Right outside my room was an outdoor light, which could not be turned off. So, it shone right into my room all night and the curtains did not block out any of the light. I ended up putting my spare towels up over the curtain rail to block the light which helped a bit but still wasnt great.
-Terrible soundproofing AND no reception phone in my room. Some woman two rooms down from me spent the night outside on her phone crying, swearing and yelling loudly. I even heard her cracking cans open - thats how bad the soundrproofing was. This woman was up acting this way until 12am or longer. It was really frustrating. I could not contact reception to complain or get her some assistance because there was no courtesy phone in the room, or numbers for a night manager. It was so bad I almost got to the point of calling the police because she would not listen to me asking her to be quiet (I live in Tennant Creek, so you know things are bad when I get to the point of wanting to call the cops haha!).
-Breakfast is expensive. Glad my continental was included in the room price - I wouldnt have paid $10 for a piece of toast a some juice.
- No bedside lamp in the room. Had to walk all the way to the other side of the room to turn the light off then find my way back to the bed (but hey, given the bad curtain situation this wasnt hard).

I wouldnt stay here again. Ive stayed in hotels that are cheaper and had a much better experience with better facilities and servies.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank LouiseMaxiMaxwell
Dear LouiseMaxiMaxwell,
Thank you for posting your thoughts and experiences for review. It is great to read that you found the following: Motel in a good location, friendly staff, well-kept gardens, and a clean room. These are the main things that we try to maintain to a high standard in our property.

I do personally remember chatting to you when I checked you in and as a professional, I find it disappointing that you felt that you had to just write about your issues rather than talk to any of our team members who could have assisted you with them. We are always available 24 hours a day and could have showed you how to use the air-con control as I know they are all different in hotels and motels with different settings.
Unfortunately we don’t have phones in our guest rooms however, I see from your check-in details that you have a mobile phone and we would have been more than happy to assist you in the night if you had any concerns with anything. I have thoroughly investigated the guests closest to you that evening and the lady was talking on her mobile phone whilst sitting outside her room as she was experiencing a difficult family crisis.
You did book a budget room which I confirmed with you upon check-in. This room was $120 and included a continental breakfast. This room has a Queen and Single Bed, Austar TV, flat screen TV, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, chilled water in the fridge and bathroom facilities as well as reverse cycle air-conditioning.
Your complimentary breakfast included a choice of 2 juices, toast (gluten free available) and condiments, freshly brewed coffee or tea. This is the first time we have received a complaint about this not being good value however, we have reviewed the price of $10 and believe it is good value for money.
As you can see from our reviews, we do endeavour to keep a high standard of customer service. If you had of raised any concerns at all during your stay with us, we would have acted immediately in assisting you.
We wish you happy travels in the future.

Tewantin, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Dear Joanne Walters. Thank you so much for your great help by e- mail, about Katherine and living there. You have done your reviews justice. Can't wait to come stay in August this year.
Regards. Yolande

Room Tip: Service prior to even being a client. Awesome👏
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Joanne W, General Manager at Beagle Motor Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Yolande,

Thank you and what a lovely surprise to receive a message prior to your stay.
We look forward to meeting you in August and wish you a safe journey to Katherine.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed here last week for one night after reading the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. The lovely Scottish receptionist who showed us to our room was very helpful and courteous. Our room was spotless and the bed very comfortable. A hot breakfast was included in the tariff which was a nice surprise. The scrambled eggs and bacon were cooked to perfection. I can highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Joanne W, General Manager at Beagle Motor Inn, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear GailM56,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to send in your thoughts and experiences regarding your recent stay.

We wish you pleasant travels and hope to welcome you again in the future.