“Bad Experience”

Animal Tracks Safari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Totally unique 7 hour interactive combination of Aboriginal Culture and Wildlife Safari, with a bush aboriginal guide. Gather, cook & eat bush foods, learn about traditional medicines and hear authentic stories. At sunset, enjoy a traditional bush food campfire cook-up, aboriginal-style. We have exclusive access to the amazing Goose Camp floodplain. This is a small, local business that directly benefits local Kakadu aboriginal people. It's authentic, non-commercialised and eye-opening.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have been on a lot of tours in my life and this for me was the worst I have been on and I was so looking forward to it after reeding about it on this site. I would have given it 0 out of five if I had not enjoyed Pattsies input. the reasons me and my wife disliked it were.
1. I am a larger fellow and the seats were very cramped and there is a lot of driving and my knees where squashed against the seat in front the whole tour.
2.the tour started at 1pm we ate at midday we were offered 1 choc chip cookie about 4pm and did not get fed till 6.45pm. I am a diabetic and I partly blame myself but never been on a tour that long that does not feed you afternoon tea.
3. the tour operator chose to bring his young son on the tour and the child always wanted to be the centre of attention cute at first but wore a bit thin after awhile. Also when the boy was swinging from the necks of the dead animals that were hung to be plucked and doing other things to there dead bodies it almost made my wife sick and she could not eat them then.
4. The trip got back 1 hour late and we had an early morning tour
5. My wife found going to the toilet in make shift hole in the ground toilet in the dark with me holding a torch not so good. There was a tent around it but still for a tour costing $205 each could be better.

Simon

3  Thank simon O
KakaduAnimalTracks, Owner at Animal Tracks Safari, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2017

We consider your response very unfair and INAPPROPRIATE,

- ESPECIALLY PUBLICLY DOCUMENTING AND BROADCASTING YOUR PERSONAL NEGATIVE OPINION OF AN IDENTIFIABLE CHILD.

WE REQUEST THAT YOU ALTER YOUR TRIP ADVISOR REVIEW TO EXCLUDE NEGATIVE REFERENCE TO ANY IDENTIFIABLE CHILD.

We have responded to your comments separately below:

'I have been on a lot of tours in my life and this for me was the worst I have been on and I was so looking forward to it after reeding about it on this site. I would have given it 0 out of five if I had not enjoyed Pattsies input. the reasons me and my wife disliked it were:'

Our response:
Most of your issues could have been addressed immediately if you had mentioned them to the driver during the tour, however you mentioned nothing about them during the tour and the single occasion when the guide asked if your wife had a problem you responded falsely.

1. 'I am a larger fellow and the seats were very cramped and there is a lot of driving and my knees where squashed against the seat in front the whole tour'

Our response:
The tour vehicle was a Toyota Coaster bus (standard passenger vehicle). You mentioned that you are a larger fellow, however you omitted that you had extensive photographic gear, including a huge zoom lens on your lap and a very large tripod in the leg room. We’ve taken many people much larger than you and they sat in the rear seats with greater leg room if necessary. You could have asked and we would resolved the matter promptly.

2. 'the tour started at 1pm we ate at midday we were offered 1 choc chip cookie about 4pm and did not get fed till 6.45pm. I am a diabetic and I partly blame myself but never been on a tour that long that does not feed you afternoon tea'.

Our response:
Once again, if you had mentioned your issue at the time we could have addressed it. That day happened to be a full tour, we had unusually run out of additional dried fruit (present on virtually all other tours) that particular day and provided extra biscuits instead, so if you only took one biscuit then that was your choice and we could have provided you with more if requested (we also carry spare).

The highlight of the tour is the wildlife, sunset bush food cook-up and we have found it more rewarding for guests not to fill up on afternoon tea and better savour the new tastes.
Regrettably, we did serve the meal later than usual that evening as we did more tour activities than usual during the tour.
Your feedback here is helpful and we will aim to avoid this situation in the future.

3. 'the tour operator chose to bring his young son on the tour and the child always wanted to be the centre of attention cute at first but wore a bit thin after awhile. Also when the boy was swinging from the necks of the dead animals that were hung to be plucked and doing other things to there dead bodies it almost made my wife sick and she could not eat them then'.

Our response:
Our view is that your Trip Advisor comments should be about the tour and our 8 year old son is not part of the Animal Tracks tour and just happened to attend that day. He is a vibrant, outgoing child that befriended other children and they all had a great time. He loves to teach kids the bush life that his kinship aboriginal Aunty Patsy has taught him.

We consider your decision to publish your negative personal view of our child on a public forum very inappropriate and shameful.

It remains published for him and all to see, which is very unfair for any child.

We feel that it would be proper for you to delete your Trip Advisor review and you are welcome to publish a replacement regarding the Animal Tracks tour, however omitting any reference specifically to an individual, identifiable child.

We note that you and your wife were not travelling with children.

Following your review, others on that tour have since contacted us voicing upset by your public Trip Advisor comment about him and defended his behaviour being that of normal 8 year old child.

Our aboriginal guide, Patsy was also very upset by your comments of her kinship nephew whom she has nurtured since birth.

Your claims about the kids’ conduct with the dead magpie geese are incorrect.

Our tour aims to be authentic and real bush life, we encourage kids to be kids and when I asked you if your wife was okay as she stood away from the group clearly showing that she was uncomfortable, you told me that she didn’t like the campfire smoke, instead of what you now claim in your Trip Advisor review. If you had told me she was upset with the kids contact with the dead geese then I would have immediately addressed the matter.

4. 'The trip got back 1 hour late and we had an early morning tour'

Our response:
The tour did not return one hour late. You also omitted that our return journey was also delayed due to repairing a damaged inner duel tyre.

The tour group included leading Australian scientists currently researching cultural sites in Kakadu and they joined the tour to experience living culture first hand. I was keen to include as many different activities as possible. At the last activity I noticed a rear inner tyre looked a little deflated and decided to check it again at the sunset location nearby, once food was cooking in the ground oven.
I was very busy and unfortunately didn’t check the tyre until we were loading to leave and it needed replacing.

In retrospect, I did try to fit in too many activities that day, but relied on the fact that most guests seemed happy to spend longer at the experiences.
Your feedback regarding timing is helpful.

5. 'My wife found going to the toilet in make shift hole in the ground toilet in the dark with me holding a torch not so good. There was a tent around it but still for a tour costing $205 each could be better'.

Our response:
We encourage guests to complete toiletries before dark but understand that it may be unavoidable. You are the only male guest that I’ve heard of having to hold a torch for your wife in the bush toilet. We understand that bush toilets aren’t perfect but work well in our circumstances.
Regarding the price - that’s your personal financial perspective and we often get the opposite response that our tour is too cheap for the exclusive, authentic experience that we provide.

Regards,

"learning how"
in 3 reviews
"traditional owners"

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is the second time we've been on this tour, and it just keeps getting better.
Sean, Patsy, Jennifer and their apprentice Riley did such a wonderful job of sharing (a small sample) of the indigenous culture with us. We felt truly privileged to have been a part of their day.
The experience, sights, sounds and knowledge that we gained from this one afternoon will remain with us forever, as will the skills of fire starting and goose plucking.
The day culminated in a meal that will not be forgotten; yummy.
I don't know if the kids or adults enjoyed themselves more, but judging by the dirty faces and full bellies, everyone went home satisfied.
Keep up the good work with this tour, it really is a must see that enables visitors a much better understanding of the indigenous hunter / gatherer way of life.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The entire experience was the highlight of our trip to the NT (8 nights). My husband & I found a different perspective on our traditional owners of Australia that we had never appreciated. Our children (10 & 12) also had an amazing time that they won't forget. Patsy & Sean are authentic people who love & respect Kakadu. We are so glad we went on this "no frills tour" as it was totally
amazing & most of the $ you pay goes towards keeping the long tradition of the local people having access to buffalo meat. A must do as long as you are prepared to be a part of the experience.

2  Thank carmel d
Reviewed July 13, 2013

As a family of 4 (kids 14 & 12) we saw and experienced some incredible places in Kakadu National Park, but this truly wonderful day was voted as our top pick for our holiday. Sean was such a great tour guide, he clearly has a deep connection with the park and loves to share his knowledge of the park and indigenous culture with those on tour. Patsy was amazing and very generous with sharing her bush skills, especially with the kids. I never thought I'd see them plucking a geese and seemingly enjoying it. The whole process for our camp dinner was great everyone pitches in for what was a hearty dinner (especially that damper...yum!). But the tour didn't end there, the trip home was just as interesting going back over the same terrain at night and on the lookout for what creatures were around. Along with Patsy's wonderful stories. If you are considering a tour in Kakadu, I would highly recommend this one.

1  Thank joeyaMelbourne