“Family and friends vacation”

Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sardinal
Linden, New Jersey
“Family and friends vacation”
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

We visited Riu palace June7-14. From start to finish we had a wonderful vacation and met amazing people. Gina at the Arenal and Randall at the pool bar are the best. The resort has something for everyone I really dont know what people expect, you're away from home in an all inclusive resort that I myself as an experienced traveler found to be pretty good. I would mention to be very careful with excursions. My cousin had an atv accident and they were more concerned about the the small dent in the atv bumper than my hurt cousin. Overall I highly recommend this place we had a great time and I'm sure you will as well.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Sakeerahd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,208)
  • Polish first
Ciudad de Heredia, Heredia, Costa Rica
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I really appreciate to all to staff of Riu Palace hotel because I really had a nice birthday there. I remember I visited this property one year ago but now that I came I found some much better things and service. Victor from the reception is a wonderful person, he and his team let us the stay easier for me and my gf.There;s a photographer lady there named Mabel who made us a really special beach photoshoot and now we have our original Riu Palace gift. Thanks to all! We miss the Riu service.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Abner Antonio C
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Wow! I was blown away from this resort. It is a very modern property, a resort I tend to not reserve as I am more attracted to the bungalow, authentic style of resorts for tropical countries but this resort turned out to be fantastic. (Did not judge it before hand, just would not reserve this over something else)

the GOOD: Everything was fantastic! But a few to point out....
1)The food was amazing!! The taste, the variety, the presentation = jaw dropping
2) All staff was very friendly and would initiate conversation.
3) 10 minute water taxi ride for $15 to Coco beach.
4) The Café
5) The variety of activities one can do such as Art (Shout out to Pedro), Yoga, Pilates, and your usual darts, water volleyball, etc.
6) Managers always showed themselves during dinner time to say Hi. I think this is very important for a resort to do as it really shows management what happens on a daily basis.
6) Entertainment. The nightly shows were good, but I think what was even better was the live singers that go on before and after the nightly show. Everyone got up to dance and the staff were so friendly to help those guests that do not know how to dance salsa, samba, bachata etc.

the NOT SO GOOD: There are only 2 things but I think I am getting a little picky.
1) there are no windows or fans in the bathroom. (I have always wondered why)
2) The alcohol in the Disco is not included. Very rare for a Riu hotel to do this (stayed at about 5 other Riu's)

RECOMMENDATION: Rent a car and EXPLORE the area. There is many things to see outside the hotel and a tour. Explore it on your own, take your time and do not follow a schedule.
There is a car rental agency at the resort but it is expensive. Try to support a local car rental agency, they are just as good without the worldwide name. :)

Costa Rica in general is such a beautiful country. The people and sights are very beautiful. If you love nature, go and explore here!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank YMASS
La Canada Flintridge, California
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My friend and I travelled to Costa rica in may2014, we were two girls travelling , we stayed at Riu palace for 7 nights... I have nothing but parses for this hotel... the staff is amazing. max at the reception , Graven at the nightly entertainment, Gina at the arenal cafe... all the servers, everyone is fantastic... They will make sure they make your vacation memorable... I hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: Go on the beach for cheap massage by the ocean $30.00 for an hour.. another word of advice do not bu...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank smile s
NY
Reviewed June 15, 2014

By all means, is hotel is not a 5-star property. Then again it's not rated or priced as one. You get what you pay for. It's a good value all inclusive resort.

Pro's:

Rooms are a decent size with a large balcony/patio.

All rooms include free wifi and a minibar (water/soda/beer/), that was restocked daily.

The first day I got there I went to the pool to relax. As I was walking around looking for a chair (which was plentiful at this time of day), I asked a pool attendant where I could exchange the towel card for the actual towel. Instead of pointing to where I needed to go, he took the cards and asked where I'll be sitting. He then went and got the towels for me.

Con's:

Although you have privileges at the neighboring RIU Guanacaste, it applies to all but Dinner. For dinner you have either the buffet, an Italian restaurant, Fusion (Krystal), Tokio (Japanese), or a steakhouse. The specialty restaurants though don't rotate menus. So if you go back a 2nd time it'll be the same menu.

Personally I thought the entertainment was a tad lame. Sort of a lip synching/dance routine. The sister hotel next door had the same type of shows (at least on the day I went).

Overall, the Riu Palace Costa Rica is a decent hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank skyhawk352
Bronx, New York
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My 4 friends and I stayed there this past Memorial week. We were received at the Liberia airport by the Riu staff and immediately felt in love! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. If you go to Costa Rica I would highly suggest you go with an all inclusive. Everything was included from food and beverages to all sorts of daily activities. The staff there were very helpful and friendly. I have stayed and other hotels abroad and I can tell you no where else was I more comfortable and at ease. They went above and beyond their jobs qualifications.
The rooms were beautiful and with a beach view. We had a junior suite which was so pretty! They have many daily activities that you can join. Just look at the board next to the bar and go to them. No pressure to join anything. The entertainment crew were lots of fun, by the 3rd day they all knew our names. There is always night entertainment for adults and they have some nights designated to children. They have well over 5 pools you can choose from even for babies!
The staff keeps this place pristine clean and are always asking if you need anything that they can get you.The food is amazing and with lots to choose from there is something for everyone, even a vegetarian like me.
Now go and book your trip! You will not forget this place and their people, ever!!

Room Tip: Book a a higher room so that you can see the entire village. Black birds will come to you window to...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank Annette V
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The Riu is a new (2012) hotel located on a beautiful beach. When we arrived, we were greeted with welcome drinks. The only minor annoyance was he state of our room which definitely needed to be serviced (the mini bar fridge was warm, liquor dispenser was not replenished and there was no hand soap). All in all, this is a great resort for couples, friends and families traveling WITHOUT children. For the best food eat at the buffet and Papagayo, have a drink at the bar (where the bartenders are very generous) and attend a few of the nightly shows ("CRAZY SHOW" was the best). If you are expecting a beach with white sand, then this resort is not for you. The beach is rough but the pool area is immaculate and the wait staff goes above and beyond to make you feel at home. Also, skip the spa and arrange a massage on the beach ($30.00 - massage and mask application- just walk down to the beach and look for the cabanas).

THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- 45 minute ride from Liberia Airport.
- Wifi is free in the rooms and I had NO issues arise with the decide.
- You will receive towel cards for the pool. You will have to pay $20.00 for each card lost.
- Coffee can always be found in the lobby area in the early hours of the morning.
-There is no separation of bathroom/bedroom with the standard rooms (bathtub is very close to the bed) and the sink area is completely open. The toilet area is private and the shower has frosted glass.
-May begins the "wet season" : we had many rainy evenings and allergies can be an issue.
-You can visit Riu Hotel next door but the guests of the Riu Hotel cannot visit the Riu Palace.
-the gym (located in the same building as he spa) has cardio and a few weight machines.
-do not drink any water aside from bottled water. The front desk always had bottles to provide.

RECOMMENDED TOUR:
Nicaragua Day Tour. $150.00 per person via Mardigi Tours. It is a beautiful country to visit and worth the cost. It is a two hour drive from Riu Palace to the border. You will be picked up at 5:30am and returned at 8:00pm. This tour is not recommended for children who cannot handle the long drive.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth the extra price.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank DianaMEsq
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sardinal
Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort
#3 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa
Occidental Papagayo - Adults only
Occidental Papagayo - Adults onl...
#7 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica? Share your experiences!