“The bungalows at the back are nice”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mae Salong
Little Home Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 5 Mae Salong B&B and Inns
Mumbai
“The bungalows at the back are nice”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The guest house is located close to where the 'songtaews' drop you off and also next to the busy morning market. Its on the main road and through the day there is a whirring noise of two wheelers and cars. The cheaper rooms are set in the from next to the road, but fortunately the bungalows are set further back and are quieter. There is not much of a view, but there are nice little balconies (or verandahs) to sit out on and the garden is well kept. The bathrooms are clean and nice. The free wi fi works very well. The family that runs the place is very pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful. The town is a laid back place and good for day trips around.

Room Tip: One of the balconies looks out over the buildings to give you a small glimpse of the mountains.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lazygurpal

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I did a small loop on scooter from Mae Sai to Mae Salong and had a great time a this guesthouse. The owner 'Witon' is a gem and speaks very good English, has excellent knowledge of the area and gives you a very useful map and instructions what to do or where it is. This is what you expect from a guesthouse and on my trip (almost 5 months) this is one of the few times i've received this service.
The bungalows are fantastic,very clean and have a lovely terrace to sit and use the HIGH speed internet. The food is basic but has local dishes and as there aren't a lot of places to eat in the evening this is an easy place to fill your tummy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Tokyo
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My daughter and I took an "impromptu" trip to northern Thailand from Singapore. We were planning to spend one or two days in Chiang Rai before going out to Mae Salong but our first impressions of CR were not overwhelming. Ended up going straight from the airport to the bus station and then to a juncture called Ban Pasang. From BP, we rode in the back of a flatbed truck to Mae Salong. All that we knew about Mae Salong was that it was in the hill country known for tea plantations. We had no idea where to stay, eat etc. Imagine our surprise to stumble upon the Little Home Guesthouse - a clean, cozy, pleasant place to spend a few days. Little Home is owned by the Iamvitayakun family: Som Boom, his wife, younger of two sons and grandson. Som Boom and his son speak very good English and, not surprisingly, are extremely knowledgeable about the area, having lived in the region for more than sixty years. The entire family was warm, welcoming and eager to help visitors who made their way to Mae Salong. Behind the "main structure" where the family lived, there were four or five bungalows. We stayed in B8 and were satisfied with the condition of the room and the price ( 500 baht per night for two). We usually ate at LHGH and enjoyed many plates of vegetables and noodles; the tofu and seaweed soup was also very filling! The area around the guesthouse is ideal for day walks. My daughter and I enjoyed a long walk toward a village to the northeast, in the direction of the Myanmar border (can't recall the name of it but "Luang" was in the name). I would highly recommend visiting with Som Boom and staying at the Little Home. In the week we traveled ( Feb 11 -16), the bungalows were booked solid every night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank blackbuddha24
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is my second stay at Little Home Guesthouse and I have to say, it only gets better. It is a quaint group of bungalows that are set amongst the trees and flowers. It offers peace and quite and a great place to relax after a day of traveling around the north. It is not luxury but it is comfortable, clean and well run. They added shower curtains to the bathrooms since my last visit and that makes taking a shower a little more "private" than before. My favorite activity here is sitting on the front porch and enjoying some wine or beer. This year they even had a young lady who brought the beer to us. The food is fabulous and I love the tea they serve at every meal. The owners are gracious and friendly. I love the fact that the guesthouse is just a little ways from the morning market where we walked to get coffee and fried doughnuts. It is not far from the other market as well. It will always be my number 1 choice when traveling to Mae Salong.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hamzy
Colorado
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I just completed my 5th stay at Little Home Guesthouse in Mae Salong, which is really more like a tropical paradise than a guesthouse. This is not a 4 or 5 star hotel, so if your expectations are for luxury while in the middle of nowhere, this is not the place for you.

However, if sitting on the front porch of your bungalow, while the staff bring beer up to your bungalow and lookout for your every need, in the midst of beautiful gardens and a quiet peaceful little town on the top of the mountain, then you will love Little Home. There are bungalows with king beds, double beds and twin beds. On this last trip we rented 6 of them and all of them were an excellent value for the price and region.

The town itself, as ell as Little Home, sit on the top of a mountain, and you have to walk up or down some moderately steep slopes to get to any of the other establishments in town or your bungalow. The bungalows are simple, clean and comfortable, with the most amazing front porches with table and chairs. The bathrooms have a shower, sink, toilet, hot water, complimentary water and a few of the bungalows have refrigerators.

Little Home added some bungalows earlier this year, and I believe there are now 9 bungalows, plus the rooms in the actual guesthouse. I have never stayed in the guesthouse, so can’t provide any information on those. The bungalows go for 500 baht per night in the off-season and 800 baht per night in high season.

The owner and his son both speak decent English and can guide you around town. They are very service oriented and eager to provide for the needs of their guests.

Little Home is in the center of town, right at the edge of the morning market, yet is surprisingly quiet as the bungalows sit on the hill behind the main guesthouse. I could easily stay here for a few weeks.

When in Mae Salong I also have enjoyed many great meals at Little Home, as well as the Mae Salong Villa restaurant and have discovered great coffee at the newly opened Poosalong coffee, tea and wine house (and great deserts).

Broder,
Chiang Rai DE

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Travelled with our 18month old and stayed here as we were looking for something central in Mae Salong. Booked a Bungalow room for 800BHT. We generally stay in flashpacker style accommodation, so perhaps we are used to slightly nicer/better maintained rooms and this may have affected our thoughts on this place.

For the price, I think it's pretty decent. Spacious room with big bed, TV and fridge. A/C would have been nice, although I think here they believe it's cold (all relative I suppose). The bathroom was spacious and the shower was good, however ours was a little poorly maintained and could have been cleaner. No big issue, but took the shine of the room. The bungalows have previously been described as "immaculate" by other reviews - but that is probably an exaggeration now.

Location is pretty good, right next to the morning market (which we were sure to attend). So can't comment about the noise produced as we were helping to produce the noise. :)

Owner and staff are extremely friendly and helpful, even offering some of their baby toys for our son to play with whilst we ate breaky.

Overall, this is a perfectly acceptable place to stay. Just make sure your not expecting more than you get, if that makes sense.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed there with a friend in November 2012. We were in a bungalow. It is a perfect place to stay in Mae Salong.
The bathroom is simple but clean. The room is clean. The bed is comfortable.
There is free wifi.
There is a restaurant which serves excellent food. People (even local people) come from around to eat there, that's a good sign ;).
The owners are a very friendly family. There are very welcoming, willing to help. They contribute to the good feeling you'll have in sleeping in Mae Salong.
They have drawn a map of the region with all villages to be visited around. No need of a guide, with this map you can just go alone and enjoy a wonderful day walking in the wonderful landscapes of Mae Salong.

Room Tip: Bungalows are just a bit more expensive than the rooms, but they are more comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Wang Put Tan Boutique Hotel
Wang Put Tan Boutique Hotel
#1 of 4 in Mae Fa Luang
Manee Dheva Resort & Spa

Been to Little Home Guesthouse? Share your experiences!