“Excellent Place to Stay”
Review of Valdez Motor Lodge

Valdez Motor Lodge
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed March 12, 2014

As a business traveller I get to stay in many hotels and motels and, in my opinion, the Valdez is up there with the best. The staff are always obliging and helpful, the rooms are clean and very spacious and the location is perfect.

For anyone travelling to Hastings I would recommend staying at the Valdez!!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are set back from the road and thus very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
ValdezMotorLodge, Owner at Valdez Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words
Judy

Reviewed March 9, 2014

A group of us travel away annually & have done so for 23 years & this years trip took us to Hastings. Our accommodation was arranged by a friend so we hadn't bothered looking at previous reviews and this was a lesson learned as we will no longer make bookings without checking the place out first! On arrival, the person at reception, who I assume was the manager wasn't welcoming at all! She was rude to our group & then when she saw that we had a child in our group, she said "oh do you have a child staying, well we haven't made arrangements for that" I suggested that she sort the rest of the group out & that I would see what needed to be done, but she snapped at me saying "we will need to move you as there is no room in the unit for the child". This left our 8 year old upset & repeating what he'd just heard. I did consider staying somewhere else, but in the 23 years of travelling away we always stay together, so I decided to stay. We were advised that the cleaners would be in the rooms at 9.30am & if you didn't want your bed made then you should leave clothes or belongings on the bed so the cleaners would know to leave it alone. We then decided that rather than relaxing we would go out as no- one particularly wanted to hang around the motel after such a bad reception. Day 2 saw one of our group receiving a call from reception to state that the cleaners had advised her that they believed fish had been cooked in the room & that there was a notice on the wall hanging next to the oven which states that we weren't permitted to cook offensive smelling foods in our rooms & that on this occasion we wouldn't be charged the $150 it would cost to deodorise the room, as this is a 5 star motel. We apologised & also stated that the sign wasn't clear. In one room when one of our group got a chopping board out whilst the cleaner was there, a cockroach crawled out, he advised the cleaner & was told to use the flyspray provided & in another room there was mould on the curtains, which seemed shouldn't be the case for a 5 star motel. On the 3rd morning I returned to my room to find the cleaner re- making the bed, which had clothes on it, which needed to be moved in order for the bed to be made. I pointed this out to the cleaner & she responded by saying that as a 5 star motel they are required to make the beds, I told her that I wasn't happy that our things were moved as we were told that they wouldn't be, I then asked her not to touch anything else in the room. I know that Hastings is looking at hosting the National Kapa Haka competition & I will advise the networks I have, not to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Cheryl we are sorry your stay at the Valdez Motor Lodge was unhappy as our aim is to please our customers.
We advised your group that our cleaners would be starting work at 9.30am to help with their stay.
It is our policy to change all bed linen every 3 days if the customer is staying 4 or more days, we are sorry this upset you as we were refreshing your room.
As we have a sign on the wall and in the compendium asking you not to cook seafood, I rang you and asked you not to cook fish again.
We have a ongoing bug spraying policy but unfortunately on the odd occasion one may beat us.
We wish to say sorry once again as it was never our intension to upset any of your group.
Warwick & Judy

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in a studio unit, and like other reviewers found it to be very good - spacious, clean and quiet. The only negative for us (may not bother others) was that it was dark inside and the little private outdoor courtyard needed 'refreshing' - so it was not conducive to sitting outside.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Lovely accommodation over two floors so main bedroom was upstairs with windows on either side allowing air to flow through on a very hot day. Very pleasant service. Sorry to have only stayed for one night.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wendy G
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I've been staying at Valdez for several years, and frankly wouldn't bother to look elsewhere. The rooms are excellent (much bigger than average) and the quietness is great.
Staff are friendly and obliging, and the setting is great.

To me Valdez is my home away from home.

Room Tip: Tell the owners what you need and they'll sort you out.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Thomarse
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My partner and I stayed in this fabulous motel as his daughter was getting married in Hastings and this was recommended as a good place to stay. They were not wrong! Very clean, quiet and lovely sized room. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
With a spa bath and private patio I have been converted to motel accomodation! I would highly recommend this to anyone and if I am ever in Hastings again there is nowhere else I would stay. The price was a pleasant suprise too.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We were 1 of 2 couples that stayed here for 3 nights so we could enjoy some golf in Hawkes Bay. The motel was great, the unit very roomy and quiet. The owners were very obliging. We'll stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
10 mi away
#10 of 18 in Hastings
Cumberland Court Motel
Cumberland Court Motel
#9 of 18 in Hastings

Been to Valdez Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!