All reviews magpie tidy unit great value for money swimming pool hawkes bay bed motel bbq setting noise tv accommodation
Reviewed February 19, 2018

Friendly efficient reception, quiet room, good air conditioning, clean, good parking. However the fixtures were old, probably 25 years or more. It was Art Deco weekend so no motels were available in Napier, otherwise I would have chosen a better place. There is a swimming pool which seemed OK but we did not use it and the setting of it was nothing special.

Room Tip: Back away from road = quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
Lisa L, Owner at The Magpie Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2018

Thank you for your review. You were very lucky to find a room as we everyone had a very busy art deco weekend. There are no secrets as to what our motel is and how we present ourselves. We are proud of our little part of Hastings. We make no claims to be fancy we only claim to be practical and affordably priced.

Reviewed January 26, 2018 via mobile

Had problem after problem with this place, the worst by far being the way we were treated by the staff. Very rude, abrasive and unhelpful.
I’m not going to sit here and complain bit by bit of the small things not ideal with this place because all that could have been overlooked if the staff/owners had not been so terrible to deal with and rude to myself and my partner on several occasions. Really disappointing.

1  Thank claireEFnz
Lisa L, Owner at The Magpie Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2018

This person had to be evicted from our premises as they we out of line. No person ever has to be treated like these people treated us and think they were in the right. Warning to other motelliers, be wary of these people.

Reviewed January 16, 2018 via mobile

Lovely clean & tidy unit that was pet friendly so we could bring our baby.
The motel is well laid out with a rear garden that is secure for children & dogs a like. There are bbq tables & a bbq for your use. A pool is also out here for those that wish to cool down.
The owners are very helpful.

Stayed: January 2018, traveled with family
Lisa L, Owner at The Magpie Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2018

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, we do make an effort to make sure our property is clean and tidy and really friendly for animals and children. The pool is definitely something everyone enjoys in summer, thank you so much for taking time to tell everyone.

Reviewed January 1, 2018 via mobile

On check in was met with an unpleasant welcome from the host, despite using booking app using search for 2 adults 1 child, on booking came through without my knowledge as 2 adults only and got stung with an extra fee for my four year old. When first walked in I was greeted with figured as much, then scolded over extra child costs more when I made a comment that I thought (as why else would I look for extra beds in room) I'd booked correctly via booking app I got snapped at that she didn't NEED attitude. At that stage mentioned I could of booked elsewhere, she was incredibly rude and putting myself in defence mode, but choose the booking over bedding configuration she again snapped at me I did not have to stay there. Now this is after I have just driven 6 hours with tired children in the car to be meet with such aggressive attitude is really disappointing. Having no other options at 5.30pm I paid the extra fee. Now this motel is not worth $160 a night. The rooms are tired, the beds uncomfortable with stains on bases, the toliets and walls are in dire need of a fix and paint. The free WiFi is non existent with little to no coverage in our room. The carpet needs replacing as do the curtains. The laminated signs around the room are passive aggressive about cleanliness and extra fees will be charged. The walls are thin and we listened to our neighbors snore the whole night. I've traveled nz extensively and this whole motel is by far one of the worst stays to date. I'm thinking perhaps I was discriminated against for being and Aucklander with visable tattoos. Either that or the host needs to find a new job she actually enjoys.

2  Thank KateyL32
Lisa L, Owner at The Magpie Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2018

First of all our interaction between this guest and ourselves was perfectly fine until she told us she had her 4 year old child with her, which upon being told their would be an extra charge for an extra person she flew into almost an instant rage for having to pay for the child. At which point I said, if you do not want to pay for the extra child I can refund your deposit if you do not wish to stay here and pay for your child. At which point again she threatened our business by saying she would do exactly what she has done, by putting a false harsh review of our property just so she could have the last say. Really do not understand the comments about discriminating because she was an Aucklander or tattoos, for one we have thousands of Aucklander's stay here each year and we love being able to provide their accommodation needs. As for the Tatttoo comments, I did not even see any Tattoo's, I don't know what she means by that.

Reviewed December 31, 2017 via mobile

We stayed for one night in a room with 2 x single beds and a queen bed in a separate room. The unit was tidy and roomy and great value for money. The motel hosts were helpful and friendly. Out the back is a great kids area with a playground, trampoline and outdoor pool.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled with family

Thank you for your review of property, it is rewarding to see guests enjoy our back yard set up to enjoy. Thanks for staying, we thoroughly enjoy what we do.