“Best looking meal ever - tasted great, too”

Taste Cornucopia Organic Cafe
Ranked #18 of 95 Restaurants in Hastings
Cuisines: European, Healthy
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Taste Cornucopia is our intimate, organic eatery in the heart of Hastings. Everything made on site - from bread to ice cream to Taste's very own marshmallows. Families are more than welcome and we have a special kids menu and play area. We offer a wide range of cabinet and menu food, from a muffin and a coffee to the old school eggs Benedict.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

7 course delicious degustation meal, beautifully presented (ended with little Christmas tree chocolate desserts with tiny wee edible presents on the side - heavenly), interesting and fresh mix of flavours and textures. A real treat, felt very special.

2  Thank Cristina S

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Tired from a long trip and searching for a nice meal we were led to this cafe by a queue that spilled onto the path outside this ordinary looking busy cafe. The short wait at the counter gave us time to decide from the enticing menu. Our choices made we found a table and got served our delicious coffee quickly. Just as we were wondering if our meals had somehow got lost they arrived. The wait was DEFINATELY worth it. We both had ordered the Pancho crusted King fish. Grilled lemon, artichoke petals, fresh asparagus, aioli mayonaise adorned with a perfectly poached free range egg all combined to literally make me fall in love with the chef I would not ever miss visiting this cafe if I were in Hastings. THANK YOU so much.

1  Thank Gretta W
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This night there was a Christmas styled degustation menu on offer with choices of 3 - 6 courses ranging from $55.00 - $85.00 and also offering wine matches $30.00 - $60.00.

Warmed baby baguettes were offered with butter and extra virgin olive oil and a complimentary taster of Pimms spheres with a fresh cucumber flavour.A small taste explosion setting the scene for more culinary delights.

I had 3 courses starting with a slow braised pork shank piece glazed with molasses, caramel spiced pineapple on a parsnip and sour cream puree. It was meltingly tender and full of flavour.

My main was a truffle infused pheasant breast with wonderful baby Te Mata mushrooms, parmesan crumb, and liver parfait encased in fig and brandy with a brioche wafer. I needed two wafers ! James for Christmas all I want is a jar of that liver parfait !! To die for .

Accompanying these courses I had Urlar Pinot Gris from the Waiarapa which I had not tried before and really enjoyed.

Dessert was beautifully presented. An edible Christmas tree made from bitter chocolate and pine mousse, lemon cream with snow and presents. Outstanding.

Other diners at the table were all happy with their choices of prawn cocktail, ( with a modern approach ), Kingfish, Waikanae crab and pickled lemon roll with an absolutely delightful cauliflower snowman and a main course of smoky lamb, sweet chilli figs charred aubergine caviar , red pepper coulis and chorizo paper.
I have eaten lamb here before and find that the lamb cutlet is surrounded by quite a lot of fat which may keep the lamb moist but as it is cooked satisfactorily pink leaves the fat tasting unpleasant.

The cuisine here is very imaginative and beautifully presented and cooked. The service does not match the high level of cuisine with cutlery placed wrongly - knives to the left, forks to the right and little attention to wine or water topping up.

We certainly enjoyed our meal and thank James for his Fantastical Feast.

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Went there with a group of friends. Atmosphere was great. The food is beautifully presented and tastes fantastic. The portions are not huge so order the six course menu if you are hungry.

1  Thank adventureguyNZ
Reviewed October 10, 2013

After buying a few things next door at the Cornucopia health shop, I popped in to the cafe for afternoon tea. I'm DEFINITELY coming back here for lunch or dinner, was my first thought gazing up at the menu and drooling over the cabinet food. Thankfully they were busy so I had time to consider carefully which tasty morsel I was going to choose (mostly gf or gf and df for a refreshing change!). Finally settling on a Chaichino (chocolate chai) which came with an omg honestly melt in your mouth dairy free marshmallow, and a nutty slice.
Grabbed a couple of magazines from the shelf and totally enjoyed the whole experience. Being down the quieter end of town meant a car park right at the front door, so good!

1  Thank SeonieNZ
James B, Owner at Taste Cornucopia Organic Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thanks SeonieNZ for your kind review. It's really nice to hear when customers appreciate what we are doing...makes the hard work worth it!
Cheers