“Terrific lunch”

Pernel Kitchen
Ranked #58 of 91 Restaurants in Hastings
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Pernel Kitchen is set amidst a working orchard where high quality produce is lovingly grown. The Chef seeks inspiration from his surroundings and produces affordable, unfussy, beautifully presented cafe style food truly bursting with flavour. Our own produce as well as those of other local growers is showcased in his dishes. Pernel Kitchen has indoor and outdoor seating (with shade in summer) as well as a small children's playground including beanbags and teepees. Menus change regularly to reflect seasonal produce. Private functions and out-catering are also welcome. Our experienced staff are able to work closely with you to exceed your expectations. Tours of our orchard are available (bookings required) which give a fun and informative trip aboard our apple wagon towed by a vintage Fergie tractor. The curiosity of all ages will be ignited when you follow the journey from seed to store. Fruit ice creams, fresh fruit and vegetables, local artisan products are all available at our Fresh Produce Shop on site. Souviners and Gifts are available in our Gift Shop.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I did have to wait a few minutes at the counter to be served, but it just gave me time to thoroughly check out what I wanted to order. I was pleased that I was asked whether I wanted my coffee before during, or after, my meal as I hate getting it beforehand. The filo pastry was excellent and reasonably priced. My iced coffee was perfect too.

There are newer reviews for Pernel Kitchen

Reviewed January 22, 2013

good food despite the wait. nice to have a place for the children to play.
can do a tour of the orchard which is an interesting one.
the shop had a good range of NZ products for sale

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We visited just after a large group had walked in and had to wait a very long time for our food. The food ranged from good to average.

2  Thank FranO33
Reviewed October 18, 2012

excellent service and great ambiance and food. suitable for any weather dining, and the food is suitable to all tastes

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Another year gone and we (6 adults) went back to Purnel for the "Dish competition, so this year the signature dish was "The fish Dish" 2 fillets of lemon fish topped with hand made tangy salsa,garnished with lemon zest and fennel all this on top of a beautiful vegetable cake and a bed of sautee'd onions,mushrooms and spinich with a very well picked non alcoholic Simply Squeezed Super juice (orchard & tropical)
I feel the Staff have done a very good job this year, a deffinated improvement over this time a year agon,20 minutes for all 6 of us to be served is outstanding and they were already busy when we arrived and we did a walk in (no reservation) The meal was well cooked,well thought out and professionally presented,and at $21.90c all up I feel is very good value for money, I am very happy to upgrade my rating from last year of "very good" to "Excellent" this year.
well done Purnel's