“Smashing”
Review of Commodore's Lodge

Commodore's Lodge
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Russell
Reviewed January 11, 2010

A great stay, super location and excellent hosts.
Highly recommended

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Commodore's Lodge

Reviewed January 8, 2010

My partner and I stayed at Commodore's Lodge over New Years and could not have picked a more perfect place to stay!!
Gill is lovely, and Russel is good for a giggle too (not sure what one of the other reviewer was on about). You will need to pack a good sense of humour.
We stayed in unit 9 right at the back of the motel which was perfect for us because we spent all of our time enjoying this beautiful town. The room wasn't as small as I imagined it to be - good value for money. Lazing by the pool area was just what the doctor ordered. They also have kayaks and bikes you can use as much as you like.
If you do travel to Russel/Paihia during the summer months make sure to take the highest SPF suntan lotion you can get your hands on any because the sun really burns... Even for me and I'm brown.
The cafes here are great and food is available at a very reasonable price... and I have to say (if you lke them) the Bay of Island oysters are to die for! Another tip is if you are a wine drinker be sure to stock up from a super market before you get here.. it's super expensive.
This was without a doubt the best holiday I have been on for a long time and I would go back in a heart beat. Just thinking about how pretty the town looked the day we arrived gets me all gooey! We definitely will head back at least once a year.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Spotless, friendly, great location - we will definitely be back

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Commodore's Lodge is in a lovely location, and the rooms and amenities are all great. However, we were disappointed at the lack of acknowledgement and friendliness from the owners, Gill and especially Russ. On the phone when we booked, we got the impression that Russ was friendly and relaxed, but we were not greeted one single time by him whilst we were staying at the motel, and we were there for several days. He walked past us many times, but not once did he even smile, nod or speak to us. We all thought that was pretty rude of him, as other motels we have stayed at throughout the country have all had friendly and helpful proprietors. Gill was not unfriendly by any means, but from our travels around the country, we have come to expect a warm welcome by kiwi hosts. Sadly, we were wrong this time. Because of the location, price, cleanliness and layout of the motel, we would come back again, but in no way is this because we felt welcomed and valued by Gill or Russ.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank AucklandFi
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Russell is a gorgeous little town and the rooms at the Commodore's Lodge were beautiful. We stayed in one of the waterfront studios, which was a nice treat and although I think we were the only people there (it was mid-week in July) the whole place had a very nice feel. Gill and Russ were both very friendly and helpful, offering us the loan of their mountain bikes if we wanted to do some serious riding (we didn't) when we borrowed some of the hotel's bikes. Sitting on our deck for breakfast was chilly, but worth it for the lovely views - I can imagine it would be heaven in summer!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My husband were in Russell on recommendation of his co-worker, a Kiwi who lives in Los Angeles. We had been sent to the Duke of Something Hotel. We went in there and it seemed a little "posh" and expensive for us. Walking back down the street we noticed the Commodore's Lodge, which looked brighter, cleaner and more to our California liking. It had open rooms facing the beach with big patio tables, comfortable chairs and a BBQ. It reminded me of a 5 star hotel in Palm Springs or San Diego. We inquired within and found a beautiful pool, a friendly caretaker and reasonable prices. A gem to behold! The manager took us on a tour of the place and we decided to book the room in the front by the beach. I only wish I could have spent more days in Russell at the Commodore's Lodge, instead of foolishly driving back to Auckland.
I have to say that this Lodge is probably the best place I've ever stayed in for such a low price in all my world travels. Comfortable bed, great water pressure in the shower, nice little town. A cat named Mouse comes around to give affections to world travelers missing their own pets.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2009

The management were great,friendly and very helpful.The rooms were warm and clean every day and quite spacious . Location was just perfect as it is right on the water close to the water ferry, hotel and sporting clubs and food outlets and grogery shoping.What else can you say exept if it was no good Iwould not be coming back for my 15th trip next year.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank Harry030
Also consider these accommodations in or near Russell
Duke of Marlborough Hotel
#4 of 8 in Russell
Motel Russell
Motel Russell
#5 of 8 in Russell

Been to Commodore's Lodge? Share your experiences!