“best ever meal”

sally's restaurant
Ranked #8 of 26 Restaurants in Russell
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We would like to Thank you for your service over the last 19 years. We are now happy to advize you that we have SOLD. Sally and her team.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Ordered Salt n pepper calarmi, and i can honestly say it was the best i have ever tasted, so tender just melted in my mouth. Washed down with a beer sittin on tables overlooking the bay, and extremely well priced, this lunch was a memorable one. My husbands meal was also excellent - dont pass by this restaurant.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were staying in a lovely batch in Russell and decided to eat in the town and came across Sallys. Had a lovely view of the bay at our table and the food was tremendous. We watched the sun go down as we ate. A time we will always remember, for all the right reasons.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Being 75 years old, I've had many fine meals. Some stand out, not only in terms of food, but in ambience, the company you are sharing, the occasion, the location, the setting, sometimes,the surprise factor, perhaps even the unusualness. For instance, huge delicious prawns piri-piri in Beira, Mozambique, succulent raspberries at Meikle's Hotel in the then-Salisbury, Rhodesia (now Harare, Zimbabwe), snails in the same city prepared by a Belgian chef who had fled Katanga, beef cheeks in Hobart, Tasmania. Joining my memorable eclectic group is Sally's Restaurant in Russell. All the elements were in place when my wife and I -- celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary with a three-week holiday in New Zealand -- happened upon Sally's Restaurant in Russell. And upon Sally, a nursery-rhyme kind-hearted grannie look-a-like running a restaurant with chef daughter Tracey who served up a superb meal that could not have been bettered. The prawn entree had a touch of chilli and garlic that complemented the prawn without overcoming.it. I've never quite believed tales of steak "melting in the mouth". Now I'm a believer. My creme broulee melted equally joyously. Add smooth service and a big dash of friendship -- little wonder I look forward to sallying back to Sally's.

1  Thank Ian M
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went to Sally's restaurant recently and the food was lovely. The Seafood Chowder was fantastic! The view overlooking the water is lovely too. Our service on the night though wasn't great, whilst the meals came out quick it was the general attitude of the waitress we had which was off putting. Good for a quick meal but if you want service go somewhere else.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We found this restaurant a great place to relax and have a cup of coffee and a delicious bacon and egg toastie . Situated near the water, you can watch the boats and all the water based activities .
Service was great and and the staff were very friendly .