“Delightful experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wharf - Restaurant & Bar

The Wharf - Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #15 of 22 Restaurants in Russell
Cuisines: New Zealand, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sunshine Coast
“Delightful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

We vere very pleasantly surprised by this resaurant. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was amongst the best we have experienced anywhere in the world. Lamb melted in the mouth. Seafood perfectly cooked. Wine reccommendation was perfect. We would highly reccommend this restAURANT

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kamakurarestaurant, General Manager at The Wharf - Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Delighted you enjoyed your evening with us at the Kamakura, and many thanks for taking the time to write such kind words.

Kind Regards,
Todd Welling
owner/operator.

Auckland
“I can't believe they serve food this good in a tourist town.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

Great service from staff who knew everything about the menu, had tasted all the dishes and knew their wine as well. They also knew when to attend to us and when to stay in the background. Favourite dish was the pork belly. Whole experience was better than I expect to find in Paihia/Russell and excellent value for money.

Melbourne, Australia
“Million dollar view with good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2010

I chose to sit at the waterfront and I'm sure it made my food 10% better. The view is devine and even if you just have a drink here, it's worth it.
I had two entrees, seafood chowder and prawn raviolli. The soup was lovely, the raviolli not too bad. Perhaps a little too similar to the chowder, but that's my fault! The serves are very generous and I certainly couldn't have eaten a main after the chowder.
The staff are lovely, food is good but it is the view that is trumps here.
Would definately recommend and return to.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Auckland, New Zealand
“Worth the drive to Russell just to eat here.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2010

Kamamura has to be one of the best value restaurants with the best food in the area. We went there last night with a group of 9 people - always a good test of a restaurant's capabilities - and although it was a busy night the service was prompt (and actually really friendly without being overly familiar) and the food was simply exquisite.

I'm afraid I'm not observant enough to comment on what everyone else had, but I had the prawn ravioli and then the slow roasted lamb shoulder on celeriac. Both were stunning. My wife had the scallops with black pudding (yeah, sounds strange, but was lovely) and the pork belly entre as a main, which she tells me was perfect.

Toward the end of the meal one of my dining companions raised his glass and proposed a toast to me for suggesting we dine there. I think that sums it up! The food is as good as the best in Auckland, but the prices are not high and the setting is nicer than anything I've ever sat in - that view past the Pohutakawa across the sea to the setting sun is the most relaxing thing.

Well done Kamakura, I hope the locals appreciate what they have in their little town! We will certainly be back!

1 Thank Treadbrook
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Lovely meal overlooking beautiful bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

Ate here twice during a recent visit to New Zealand. The first time, had dessert only. The chocolate dream (warm chocolate cake with melting center) served with manuka honey ice cream was amazing! My dinner companions loved the rhubarb crumble. Returned for lunch another day and had an excellent chicken, ham, avocado sandwich with the freshest fries! The wonderful food is accompanied by a view of the water looking across to Paihia. There was only one service staff and she was extremely attentive and helpful. A comfortable place environment.