“Sumptious seaside dining”

The Gables Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Russell
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Description: New Zealand's oldest operating Restaurant, The Gables offers fine food and wine in a stunning waterfront setting.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

A wonderful eatery. Open Thursday evening to Sunday evening. Been here before, it never
disappoints.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

The Gables, one of the oldest restaurant in New Zealand - but now newly renovated - is the best restaurant in town if you are looking for the fine dining experience.

We have been staying in Russell numerous times and I was pleasantly surprised at what we have been missing out on. We went for our 'farewell' dinner and realised we should have checked it out earlier!

The service was perfect, friendly waiter with the right touch of combining easy going charm and excellent perfectionism - where do you have a waiter taking your order outside the window because he can then talk to all three dinners more easily?

Our personalised sumptuous menu consisted: for starters of the Gables Chowder and the Duck Parfait; for main the risotto and the whole rib beef for two; and for dessert the chocolate tart, the sticky toffee pudding and the trio of ice cream. The table next door went for the Fish& Chips which looked absolutely delicious as well and is on our to do list for next time!

Delicious and with a view to boast - what more do you want! My tip, we were there when the holiday season just started but I would recommend reserving a table by the window or outside during the busy times, enjoy....

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We were there in early November and Russell was really sleeping at that time. even more I was surprised that the Gables, after opening at 6pm, was more or less full after thirty minutes.
The two waitors were lovely and very professional. They gave the whole ace a very vintage British style touch. We had Oysters and the Gables Chowder and both was prepared to the top. Any extra wish was fulfilled. Food came nicely presented and the taste was amazing.
Good selection of wines at reasonable prices and the waitors were qualified to recommend which is rare.
So overall an unexpected highlight in a place like Russell. Keep going at that level!!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I can see this restaurant is number 1 on TripAdvisor tankings... and I confirm it deserves it. Nice and cosy, excellent food, excellent wines, reasonably priced, very nice waiter and very good atmosphere.
If you go to Russell or Paihia, don't miss it!

Best enjoyed with your partner/spouse-

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Nice atmosphere, lovely old restaurant, good food overall, but slightly stingy on the portion sizes. We booked for Saturday night dinner, and got a window table with a great view of the sunset. The waiter was excellent, friendly and knowledgable. The small amuse bouche of steak tartare was OK but bland. My starter was very tasty but a tiny portion. My partner had the 'lamb 3 ways'as a main, and said it was excellent. I had the moussaka for a main course, and thought the actual moussaka was superb, but there wasn't much of it, and it came with half a ton of broccoli (which I loathe) which wasn't mentioned on the menu. For the price ($27), more than half the plated meal was broccoli, and I felt slightly ripped off by this. We shared a dessert, which was nice but slightly over sweet. The wine list was OK, but not as many by the glass as I would have expected. Overall, a great place for a special meal, but lost a few marks for small problems.