“Beautiful dinner”

The Gables Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Russell
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Description: New Zealand's oldest operating Restaurant, The Gables offers fine food and wine in a stunning waterfront setting.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I dined at the Gables in Russell during our recent visit to the Bay of Islands. I can only describe the food as superb. I had the pork belly entree and it was beautiful. The crackling on the pork unlike any I have ever seen, but scrumptious. It was thin and crisp, and had lovely sauces to go with it. My wife's scallops were also deliscious. As a main I had fillet steak, and my wife had a mushroom risotto. Both were beautiful although my steak was on the medium side of medium rare. We were there on a gift voucher from our family, so not concerned about the size of the bill, but the a la carte prices were not high for a restaurant of that quality.
The service was friendly and efficient, my only minor criticism being that the bread platter we ordered to start the meal did not arrive until just before the entrees.
A real little jewel in the Bay.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We ate twice at The Gables during our four night stay in Russell. All of the food was excellent and the service perfectly pitched on both of our visits. We had a range of dishes - oysters, scallops, sashimi, lamb and steak but the show stopper was the whole snapper, a vast fish served with a simple salad and side order of perfectly cooked fries. We would have loved to have tried the whole leg of lamb but felt this was a bit too much of a challenge for the two of us! The cheese board was well selected and plentiful. We were in Russell too early in the season to realistically eat outside, but a beautiful spot nonetheless.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Despite a miserable weather day in Paihia, after the ferry trip actross to Paihia, the wonderful ambience and hospitality of the staff warmed us up immediately, and our request to be able to make the last ferry back to Paihia was emphatically reassured!

Our meals were just wonderful from the entree to desert, and the excellent wine list matched our meal choices perfectly.

A very memorable night out.

loosley, Owner at The Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Hi, thanks so much for your kind feedback. We are really glad you enjoyed your meal with us at The Gables and hope to see you next time you venture further north.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

The food in the restaurant was extremely tasty with offerings that differed from the norm. On the whole we had a lovely meal here and the prices were quite reasonable although not cheap. The quality of the food was reflected in the price and it was well worth that extra for what was extremely good food. The waitress who served us was very friendly and knowledgeable about the food and wine she was serving.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were advised to go to another local restaurant, but after a wander around Russell checking out the restaurant menus, we decided to opt for The Gables instead. We were not disappointed! We were first in the restaurant at 6.45pm, we got the best table, received excellent service from Paul (from Christchurch, living normally in Melbourne) and were served excellent wines by the glass. The food was of excellent quality and creativity. The fish dish with masala spices, mango chutney, and sag aloo was stunning, partnered with an excellent Riesling, I was a very happy bunny. My husband's loin of lamb was excellent and there was plenty of both. The dessert wine, along with the white chocolate and grand mariner parfait were rich yet light, a great combination. I am sure the Duke of Marlborough has excellent food to go with the great choice of beers/ales, but give The Gables a go and you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank Fifi_CH