The location of this lovely old building cannot be faulted and neither can the helpful, friendly staff who were first-rate. Two things let this hotel down; it is 'tired' with torn wallpaper in the room we stayed in & as it was a double room, we would have expected more than one chair! The other problem was that it turns out this is a popular wedding venue (not surprising for such a lovely old building) so no matter which room you stay in - and ours was right at the back of the hotel - you cannot possibly get to sleep while the wedding band is playing! So best not stay here on a Fri or Sat if, like us, you are touring & need your rest. That said, the food in the restaurant & the service are first-rate - I highly recommend the roast pork rib, which was sublime! Breakfast is superb value - lots of fresh, tasty choices to set you up for the day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Duke of Marlborough has been Refreshing Rascals and Reprobates since 1827 and holds New Zealand’s first liquor license. The Duke, as it is affectionately known is located on the waterfront in the picturesque village of Russell in the stunning Bay of Islands and is a great place to recharge the batteries, catch up with friends or simply enjoy the moment. With easy access to an exciting array of activities or sipping a glass of wine on our balcony there is plenty to see or do. There are three levels of accommodation our waterfront rooms with views across the water to Waitangi Treaty grounds and Paihia, bigger family rooms when you need extra space or our convenient standard rooms. All rooms have their own en-suites, Sky TV, wifi accessibility and tea and coffee making facilities. With an award winning chef and restaurant manager the restaurant at The Duke focuses on a menu packed with fresh seasonal Northland produce. The bar has an extensive list of New Zealand wines and beers – something for everyone to enjoy while watching the sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Duke of Marlborough Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Duke Of Marlborough Russell
- Duke Of Marlborough Hotel Russell, New Zealand - Bay Of Islands