Ignore date of travel with this as it doesn't allow me go back to Spring (in NZ) of 2006. Anyway -
The husband and I landed in Auckland early one morning after a 12-hour flight. Wrecked. No hotel booked. We checked in with the tourist bureau in the arrivals hall and in a flash were booked into the Duke of Marlborough Hotel in Russell - first capital of New Zealand. Alright, it was only that for a year, but still ...
If you are going to Russell, this is the spot. We, too, had an enormous, quiet, spotless room overlooking the bay. The price was amazingly reasonable - the staff so friendly. The food was FABulous. The fish ... scrumptious. We stayed for several nights while we toured the area - SO much to see - coming back in the evenings to have aperitifs on the large verandah in front of the hotel and watch the sun go down on the Bay of Islands.
Now you tell me, does that sound like heaven or not?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Duke of Marlborough has been Refreshing Rascals and Reprobates since 1827 and holds New Zealand’s first liquor license. The Duke, as it is affectionately known is located on the waterfront in the picturesque village of Russell in the stunning Bay of Islands and is a great place to recharge the batteries, catch up with friends or simply enjoy the moment. With easy access to an exciting array of activities or sipping a glass of wine on our balcony there is plenty to see or do. There are three levels of accommodation our waterfront rooms with views across the water to Waitangi Treaty grounds and Paihia, bigger family rooms when you need extra space or our convenient standard rooms. All rooms have their own en-suites, Sky TV, wifi accessibility and tea and coffee making facilities. With an award winning chef and restaurant manager the restaurant at The Duke focuses on a menu packed with fresh seasonal Northland produce. The bar has an extensive list of New Zealand wines and beers – something for everyone to enjoy while watching the sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Duke of Marlborough Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Duke Of Marlborough Russell
- Duke Of Marlborough Hotel Russell, New Zealand - Bay Of Islands