Tripadvisor
Russell

“Average food with slow service”

Duke of Marlborough
Ranked #7 of 29 Restaurants in Russell
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located right on the waterfront in Russell. Serving up delectable delights for lunch and dinner the Duke of Marlborough Restaurant is at the heart of this historical hotel. The menu showcases locally sourced seasonal produce, presenting a new take on classic favourites. Dine inside, on the terrace or in the garden.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Over rated restaurant with poor service. Talked to the waiter about the wine and she (French) told us the only Rose’ which was $70 a bottle to have. When I questioned about the others she was dismissive. We ordered a $55 bottle which was excellent. Food average and arrived about 30 mins from order. Overall an average place to eat and trades on his history. Give a miss

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (1,822)

Reviewed January 18, 2020 via mobile

My son and I have just had the loveliest, most relaxed meal here. The wait staff took very good care of us and the food was excellent. I had the chicken which was very juicy and tasty. My son is a big fan of the sundaes so I had dessert too - pavlova with peaches. Very summery. I think the portion sizes were spot-on and the wine selection very good. We always look forward to a meal at the Duke and we left very relaxed and well-fed.

Reviewed January 18, 2020 via mobile

I’d booked months ago to get a good table for my husband’s 50th birthday, and we did - one right out the front on the verandah. That’s pretty much where the positives ended.

The maître d was unfriendly. Our waiter, while not rude, was very disinterested. He seemed to be very defensive when telling us the long list of things they had run out of - all of which didn’t bother us, but I think he was waiting for us to complain?! Drinks took an age to appear. The lamb shoulder had absolutely no flavour to it (how that could be, I don’t know) and canecwith a really weird plate of large, raw green leaves. Flavourless and dry.

It all just felt very rushed and awkward.

The next night we tried The Gables, just down the street. What a totally different experience. With no reservation, and on a busy night, we were shown to a fantastic table out the front and experienced the friendliest service and some of the best food we’ve had in a while.

Reviewed January 16, 2020 via mobile

We came here as a large group after a day of sailing as a group of 12. The venue is a lovely old building in very well renovated condition; with great decor and styling.

I'd recommend drinks out on the terrace or around the side on the beer garden. Both great spots.

Dinner was inside as we were such a large group. The menu choice is wide enough to give options, though not too large to make deciding difficult.

The service is friendly, fast and knowledgeable.

Everyone had excellent meals. Some standouts were the shoulder of lamb and the kingfish.

An improvement suggestion is that for your website bookings, you allow for tables greater than 6 people to allow for bookings of larger groups.

Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

I couldn’t fault this venue in any area from the time I booked to the time I left it was amazing and would definitely highly recommend this venue