“Very good food and service in a superb location”

Duke of Marlborough
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Russell
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We had lunch here, sitting outside on a lovely sunny day. Service was spot on, friendly and efficient. Good choice of dishes and drinks, which although pricey, you do get what you pay for.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

It offers good food & lovely scenic views from the verandah. I brought my visiting brother for a drink. He's in an electric chair, cannot enter building. The ramp stops up at first steps then nothing.

1  Thank 556Family
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We were on a cruise and our time was limited. After visiting other sights in Russell, we walked onto the lovely porch a bit late for lunch and ended up with a front row table. After a bit we did get the attention of a waiter and once we explained our time problem, drinks and lunch were quickly provided. So, service was prompt, the beer was cold, the lunch was above tourist average.

A lovely respite

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I was so looking forward to a birthday celebration at the Duke. It had recently featured on Masterchef and looked pretty exciting.
How wrong that turned out to be.
We changed our booking from 3 people to 6 people but turned up to find a table of 8 set for us. No wonder we couldn't get our preferred time!!
Service whilst pleasant, was only adequate. Staff just lacked the ability to read the table and be there when required without us having to ask for service.
Food was pretty average but worst of all my hapuka was overcooked. Fillets were thin and dry not fat and luscious like I was expecting. I told the waitress when she cleared the plates and she was disinterested.
Needless to say we gave dessert a miss.
Not the birthday dinner I was expecting.
They were very busy that night with a wedding party, but I had booked very early and expected better service. Perhaps the restaurant needs to concentrate on quality not quantity.
If it was a masterchef challenge the chef would have been sent home!

1  Thank EJM223
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Lovely trip on ferry from Paihia. Very pleasant outlook to sea from patio. My seafood soup in a cobb loaf was disappointing and was more like a cheesey sauce rather fish stock sauce. The waiting staff were excellent but the maitre d offhand and rude. My adult family enjoyed their steak and chips and mushroom soups. The desserts were very nice particularly the pannecota