“Shockingly small serving for Yakitori”

Miyazu Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #77 of 191 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: An authentic Japanese restaurant offering an array of delicious choices, using the freshest local seafood and highest quality local produce, from the sushi and sashimi bar, the teppanyaki or the a la carte menu. At the sushi and sashimi bar you can watch your chef prepare your meal using only the freshest ingredients. Enjoy the entertainment of the teppanyaki grill where you are almost part of the cooking experience, or for a quieter meal choose to dine from the a la carte menu and enjoy traditional flavours and service.
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed at the Rutherford Hotel when I went to Nelson some years ago and had dinner at Miyazu. The "Yakitori" is listed as a main for $20.00. Having been to Japan and being a mad lover of Yakitori I ordered it immediately. I asked the chef at the sushi bar whether the meal comes with rice. I was told I could choose either rice and soup; I chose rice, because I need to eat rice with meal. The waitress was lovely; she poured water into my glass, when I told her I drink lots of water, she immediately brought me a caraffe of water. The teppanyaki grill was busy but the tables were not, so it did not take long for my meal to arrive....

.....and then it arrived. I was ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED with what I saw. All I got was FIVE small sticks of chicken with a small bowl of rice. Each stick consists of three pieces of small chicken separated from one another by a small piece of green bean...in teriyaki sauce. I was lost for words and could not eat for few minutes. I was so angry and felt insulted for being served such a small serving of meal. I was seriously contemplating of leaving the $20 cash the table and walk out, leaving everything uneaten because I felt so disgusted with the quantity I received. But I needed to eat something, and at that time it was very late. It was past 9 PM and I was visiting the city I did not have a car. If I walk out I would be starving for the whole night.

So I eventually calm down, ordered some more inari sushi and other sushi so that I would not be too hungry. I thanked the waitress for her wonderful hospitality (as I see no reason why I should be rude to her; it was not her fault that the quantity of the meal is shocking), and went up to my hotel room.

The next day I talked to the people I met at the music festival about this restaurant. A few who have been here before laughed when I told them about the shocking story I encountered last night. They smilingly said they have been here before, and yes, they know about the shockingly small portion this restaurant serves, and they also have not been back since.

Reading through the reviews I was lost as to how come so few people commented about this restaurant's small serving. The quantity I received was equivalent to the appetiser served in other restaurant. In fact, some most Thai restaurants around New Zealand would sell these chicken sticks as appetisers for 4 sticks at $7.50, and mind you, each stick would contain full piece of chicken fillet, not separated with a piece of green bean! Miyazu is one of the few restaurants which really made me angry. Would never go back to this place!

Rating:
Food 3/5 semi authentic
Service 5/5 excellent
Ambience 5/5 Excellent
Value 1/5 Shockingly small portion, their main is equivalent to the appetiser other restaurants serve.

6  Thank Nitra001

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Had a lovely Tepinyaki experience at the restauraunt in Feb 2014. The chef was very good and It was a fun experience. The food was of very good quality including, prawns, salmon, beef fillet, chicken and rice dishes. Could definitely recommend Miyazu.

1  Thank macvonsunderland
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We have eaten here a number of times and it is always excellent . The staff are very good and the food as good as any Sushi we have ever had.

1  Thank JohnCDerby
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

We had the best night out in a long time dining at miyazu! My husband is a chef and has dined at a number of teppenyaki restaurants before but this was by far the best, and myself as a teppen yaki virgin was absolutley amazed! Our chef had personality plus, took care of us and made me smile the whole night! Not to mention the food was incredible and cooked to perfection. Blown away, well done! We will be back, many times!

1  Thank melnz15
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I love this restaurant. I always go for the Sushi, but my friends love the Teppanyaki as well. Even though it has a nice find dinning atmosphere as it is situated in the Rutherford hotel, I found the price of the sushi platter very affordable - around ~$19.

1  Thank Aileen S