“Food doesn't match the price”

The Tides Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #16 of 183 Restaurants in Nelson
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the staff were excellent. However, the food was very average for the price paid. The mains and dessert being espcially dissapointing. Would rate the food being on the same level as the LoneStar but with a much heavier price tag attached.

Trailways, Manager at The Tides Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thank you for your review, as all feedback is very important to us.

We have worked hard to earn our strong reputation for fine dining and I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to discuss the issues you encountered in more detail, so that I can work with the chefs to ensure our high standards are consistently achieved. If you are willing to talk to me about this, my contact number is 0800 872 459.

Sara Richards, Assistant Manager

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Ate here on Christmas day. Food was really nice and all served to the table with waiter service, however the coffee and deserts were buffet style which was odd. Deserts were good however! The restaurant looks out onto a little river, which at the time we stayed in the summer was a small stream. Staff great - all good.

Trailways, Manager at The Tides Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We have been running a special Christmas Day menu for several years now and it is always extremely popular. We certainly have a lovely location overlooking the river, although I am sorry you did not get to see it with the tide in when the water looks its best.
I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand.
Kind Regards
Sara and the team at The Tides Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We decided to try the restaurant for some desserts, and ordered a chocolate mousse. This was simply amazing, and really well presented. Would truly recommend this if you are a chocoholic.

Thank you for the lovely feedback, which I will pass on to our dessert chef, who does some truly extraordinary dishes. With over a dozen dessert options, there is something for everyone.
I hope you visit us again soon.
Sara and the team at The Tides Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed January 11, 2014

What a rip off! We ordered an entree to share, BIG mistake. It was meant to be salt & pepper squid BUT NO Salt & NO pepper and 8 anemic looking fatty squid rings on shredded carrot for $19.50, this was not a good sign of the meal to come. NO salt & pepper and No napkins on the table. My partner ordered the pork belly and I had the deep fried Groper, it was OK & thats being generous! The salad and vegetables were an extra charge on the already overpriced meal. $143.50 for a crappy meal was not a joke! We will NOT be going back.

Trailways, Manager at The Tides Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for reviewing your meal, as all feedback is important to us. If you had let our staff know on the night that you were unhappy with your meal, we would have done our best to rectify the issues immediately. I will discuss your comments with our Head Chef as a matter of urgency.

I do apologise that you felt the meal was not up to our usual high standards.

Sara and the team at the Tides Restaurant

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had dinner here while on holiday. It was a beautiful evening and chose a table outside. This is not a cheap restaurant, but well worth it, and the servings are good size. We have dined at some top restaurants and this is up with the best. Beautiful white linen tablecloths, great service and lovely food. We will definitely be back next visit to Nelson.

Trailways, Manager at The Tides Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

I appreciate your comments regarding your meals at The Tides Restaurant. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive continuously to provide quality dining.

Once again, thank-you for choosing The Tides Restaurant & Bar and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Kind regards