“Brilliant food, excellent service!”

Lone Star Cafe & Bar Nelson
Ranked #64 of 171 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Bar, New Zealand, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The home of the Nelson Lone Star restaurant is a wonderful building that oozes Art Deco charm on the outside but contemporary luxury on the inside. There is a large bar that flows to the outdoor area. Enjoy Cocktails and beersies after work or later in the evenings. There are spacious dining sections available with our experienced and friendly staff always nearby to help you and your friends enjoy your evening with us. Children are especially welcome and have their own menu to choose from, colouring in & traffic light drinks. Don't forget to tell us if its your Birthday - we're likely to have a treat in store for you. Lone Star Nelson, our aim is to make it a "Great Time, Every Time!!!"
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Brilliant food, excellent service!”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

There is always excellent customer service, that always makes me want to go back! And of course, the food is delicious! Great place for the whole family, the environment of the restaurant is great! Thoroughly recommended!!!

• Korean first
Nelson, New Zealand
“Overpriced & Average Food”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was a bit apprehensive at being invited to dinner at Lone Star as I have heard mixed reviews. We must have chosen the busiest night in town (pre show) and the under staffing can be forgiven. But really the food was just average. Kind of boring and bland. Yes there was lots of it, but seriously for the price I would have expected something much more interesting. I chose the Johnny Cash and though the name was cool the food was more Johnny Rotten. Maybe that is not fair but seriously, I could have made this myself and paid a lot less. And the side of Buffalo Chips were so much of a joke in both size and taste I won't even describe them.
If you have never been to the USA and you want to do some USA 'Theme' family dining (and have lots of spare cash) then this could be a fun place. The kids will get a kick out of it. But if you want my advice, spend that money on somewhere that doesn't ride on a name and you'll get much better quality. Nelson has some great little restaurants. I'd not rate Lone Star as one of them. I tried the one in Queenstown last year and it was slightly better. Well it has better Buffalo chips anyway....

• Visited July 2012
Blenheim, South Island
“too expensive for what it is”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

hugh portion but unecessary, food is average. the meal quality was better few years back but now just BIG.

Visited March 2012
Westport, New Zealand
“Terrible meal for a very high price”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

After waiting over half an hour at the bar for a table we were seated in a very cold seat outside. We then waited ten minutes until our waitress came to serve us. When we ordered my choice was sold out, which hadn't been communicated so I was quite disappointed. After waiting over half an hour for our meals I was served a well done, luke warm steak when I had asked for medium rare. The pototoes were also luke warm and some of them cold. After waiting around an hour and a half for the meals I was too hungry to complain and our waitress didn't come to check how our meals were anyway.
Paying $35 for a main I would expect my food to be of a very high standard, not below average which is how I would consider what we recieved.
This will be the last time I ever eat at Lone Star in Nelson as there are some much better dining options all in the same vicinity.

• Visited May 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Big Size meals”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Go to Lone Star if you want a big feed! The chicken was lovely, however the chips were a bit tough & the coleslaw was too much! Maybe half the size for that, although it was very filling. Staff were really friendly & helpful. Not overly cheap, but you definitely get plenty of food for your money.

• Visited April 2012