“Change is not always good!”
Review of Boat Shed Cafe

Boat Shed Cafe
Ranked #7 of 179 Restaurants in Nelson
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We have been to this eatery many times, in fact every time we visit Nelson. Today was probably the last time. I never mind paying well for good food but undercooked tortellini, overcooked asparagus and crayfish? I left the restaurant today $200 lighter (we couldn't every THINK about eating dessert) with the overwhelming flavour of butter in my mouth. Not good Boatshed, not good.

1  Thank Chris S
There are newer reviews for Boat Shed Cafe

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Had the delight and misfortune of trying the Boat Shed Cafe today. It was after lunch when we walked in and unfortunately for us we walked in after a photographer and foo/restaurant writer as the lady that was supposed to be attending to customers was more involved in what they needed rather than what we the customers would like. After waiting for her to organise the writer and photographer she came to see what we wanted about 5 minutes, I was hoping to try something off the menu but when we said we would like a coffee and something else she asked what coffee and what else without letting us know what was on offer. We asked about the slices as that was all we could see but you could tell her mind was on what the photographer and co needed. The slice was nice enough but I think I lost any liking for the place from the way we were treated at the start. We finished our coffee and slices and were leaving and we were only 2 of a total of 4 customers and didn't even get a good bye as we left. $19 for 2 coffees and 2 slices I think deserves attention from the person who is supposed to be there to look after their customers. Unfortunately a sad experience and any hope of going back to try lunch or dinner blown out the window. I won't recommend this place to anyone. I just hope the photos and story gives them a better review and that the extra customers they get receive better service than we did.

1  Thank john b
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Beautiful views, lovely atmosphere and good food if a bit pricey for a cafe. However, a glass of wine and a nibble before dinner as the sun sets is a must for visitors to Nelson - and they don't mind so long a you are out before the dinner crowd arrive.

The rustic vases and fresh flowers on the table are a nice touch.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

More then 3.5 hours to be served the TRUST the chef meal. All food buried in micro greens, not particularly good food preparation and slow slow service. Inconsiderate patrons at tables close by (couldn't hear ourselves think) yet front of house felt unable to do anything about it. Bad weather and we were getting wet from dripping enclosure on outside deck. Eventually moved inside but just all too late. Very disappointing evening!!!

1  Thank Catherine R
Reviewed October 12, 2013

A sad experience at dinner caused by a kitchen crew that needed somewhere between thirty and forty-five minutes to organise itself between courses and an under staffed front of house that was enthusiastic and helpful but poorly trained. This place charges too much money to perform at this level.

Everyone in our group of five elected to go with the five course, "trust the chef" degustation. A cool idea but not one I would recommend at the Boat Shed. The food is workmanlike, but not creative and certainly not inspiring; too many things arrive with a covering of something green dumped on the top. The fact that we were waiting way too long between courses for decency meant that it took over three hours for us to complete our meal.

Not on my list for a return visit.

1  Thank DSMIW