“Absolute Bliss”

Joya Garden & Villa Studios
Ranked #4 of 55 Nelson B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Words can not explain what a delight this find was. After trawling around Nelson looking for somewhere suitable to welcome my partner to New Zealand with, Joya exceeded every ideal I could have.
Natural wood filled GORGEOUS apartment, fully furnished and with absolutely everything we could need. Large open plan, sunlight filled living space, a bed big enough for 4 of us, and all the smallest touches added to make our stay amazingly comfortable. Set in a beautiful garden - with water feature, abundant flora and fauna and wildlife and sun patio with views of the garden and surrounding views to laze on.
The eco friendly elements of the place were second to none in Nelson (believe me i checked!), with septic tank water system, recycling bins, natural wood finishes, organic, homemade and local food where possible and could easily cater for my vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free diet that I choose to keep my body feeling good :)
Paulina was amazing, on hand to our every request and went completely out of her way to make our stay memorable and my partners arrival super special, even allowing us a late breakfast on our first morning! As well as providing us with thoroughly wonderful hospitality throughout our whole stay - we ended up staying longer as we didnt want to drag ourselves away from the bliss!

A short walk from town and out far enough to be quiet and away from the hustle and bustle. With activities for us to do being discussed over our delicious breakfast spreads - we couldnt have asked for more!

Absolutely hands down one of the most beautiful and welcoming places I have ever stayed (and I have travelled for nearly 10 years)

Comes with a MASSIVE recommendation!

Go and enjoy the serene, abundant wonderfulness :)

Room Tip: Both the villas are absolutely breathtaking - and very private, but the room in the house is more th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
paulina2009, Owner at Joya Garden & Villa Studios, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you, thank you! Never read that many superlatives :)
Guess it was the company you kept, that really created this 'bliss"
But of course I am happy that y Joya contributed to the experience:)
Hope to meet again when you next visit these fair isles.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed in a garden villa with its beautifully landscaped gardens and refreshing little pond in front of the porch. The space was more than adequate with kitchen and enough living room. The beds pleasantly comfortable. What makes this bed and breakfast so enjoyable are the many little touches that the owner Paulina extends to her guests. She reminded me of my mother (all in a good way) who takes cares of details that makes ones' vacation a lot more comfortable and go smoothly without headaches. Her hearty dairy free (yay) breakfast is so good, I miss it. She bakes her own bread (yum). She heard about my friend and I suffering jet lag and laryngitis and she made this awesome concoction of honey, ginger and lemon tea to help recover from these ailments. After arriving from a strenuous 2 day kayaking from Abel Tasman National Park, she volunteered to drive us in town for a nice dinner in a restaurant. Having only a few days in Nelson, her recommendations on things to do, places to eat and sight see were all on point. I would definitely go back to this bed and breakfast, as the owner makes one feel so safe and so at home. Lovely, pleasant memories of Nelson and JOYA is part of that.

Room Tip: Pick the garden villa
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for this kind review. Glad to have been of service :)
You were good company as well. I enjoyed our conversations and wish you all the best.
Warmly,

Reviewed March 27, 2013

What a lovely and tranquil setting in a superb garden. From the moment we arrived Paulina, owner and hostess, made us feel welcome and comfortable. She is extremely helpful and pleasant. We arrived suffering a bit of jet lag and were immediately accommodated far beyond any expectations. We were in an upstairs Villa with a beautiful view from our balcony. The location is a short 5-10 minute walk to the heart of Nelson. The comfort of the room was surpassed only by the amazing and extensive organic breakfast. Paulina went "our of her way" to accommodate our dietary gluten intolerance!!

Room Tip: The lack of an en suite bath should not be a deterrent in booking this room. The shared bath is spa...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for this review. And specifically for the fact that in your experience the lack of an ensuite wasn't a 'deterrant'. For some people it would be, which I understand.
Glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for these kind words.
Warm regards to you!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

If you're looking for somewhere tranquil and beautiful to stay in Nelson, then I wholeheartedly recommend Joya, run by the charming Paulina who could not have been more welcoming and helpful. I stayed here for four nights so that I could do some walking in the Abel Tasman park and it was the perfect spot - Paulina's delicious breakfast with freshly baked bread certainly sets you up for some serious walking! I very much hope to return one day soon.

Room Tip: The villa room on the first floor has a lovely balcony with a hammock seat - great for doing some st...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for your comments!
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you mentioning the villa room as a nice and comfortable place to come back to after your daily trips through the Abel Tasman.
Best and thanks again,

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Luckily I was upgraded to the Garden Studio as a friend joined for one night... such a gorgeous self contained Studio with its own deck for catching the afternoon sun.. it was a great place for relaxing and replenishing the soul each day after the busyness of conference, wish I could have stayed longer... might just have to come back, thanks Paulina.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

I am glad you enjoyed your stay Megan. And I can well imagine it was nice to have the cottage to yourselves for the occasion. Hope to meet you again. Nelson has a lot to offer, as you have noticed. Regards,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here last week in the room called The Den which is located inside the beautiful, spotless villa. The hostess Paulina was extremely likable, exceptionally helpful and provided a delicious whole food breakfast which I miss now I'm back home. The self-contained studio apartments are surrounded by a lovely trickling pond and roaming garden that brings a sense of serenity and comfort. It's only a ten minute walk into town with a great view of the sea and surrounding hills. I am definitely coming back here again!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for these kind words. Hope to meet you again some time soon.
Best regards, Paulina

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Conveniently located in Nelson, the house is charming with generously-sized rooms. More basic than most places we stayed, with no en suite or blow dryer, there is a lovely view from the little porch which contained a fridge and hot pot for boiling water. Paulina makes delicious granola to go with fruit, her freshly made bread, and yogurt. She makes lovely teas and will cook a hot breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
paulina2009, Owner at Joya Garden & Villa Studios, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Kia Ora and thank you for your review, my first with a three star rating!
I won't immediately say 'hooray' to this fact, of course. ☺ . However, all reviews serve a valuable purpose to both parties. Any potential guest need to know what to expect, and for me as Joya’s host, it’s important to see whether improvements can be made. So I looked at your ratings and texts a bit more closely. I am glad the house itself and its location was appreciated as was the food. You were also positive with regards to the size of your room.

Starting with the easiest, the hairdryer: I remember we went to fetch it for you from the shared bathroom. Cannot image that to have been an issue but I have remedied that and there is one in each room now. I am a bit puzzled by by what ‘basic’ means to you.
Wondered whether perhaps the oriental style of the furniture may have been too different from what you expected.
Or was it the lack of a private bathroom that did it? I can very well relate to that as something really important.
The two studios have their own private entrance, kitchen facilities and ensuite. The accommodation you chose, the villa room doesn’t. There is nothing I can do to change that, but this is certainly important to know for anyone weighing their options.
Best regards, Paulina