“"I won't be back"”

Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“"I won't be back"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Nice decor. I ordered the pumpkin and feta salad for lunch. Price $16.50. The portion was small, the dates (maybe one) cut into miniscule fragments,a few walnuts, 6 tiny cubes of feta, spinach leaves and pumpkin. Quantity of pumpkin was extended by including a cube of skin. I was so disappointed when it arrived I spoke to Paula. She was dismissive when I said it was not value for money. She did not look at the plate.She said the dressing and ingredients were expensive. Pumpkin! The expensive ingredients were in such tiny quantities the cost was not justified. She asked if I would think it better value if there was bread included but did not offer any. Their website says they are committed to putting the customer first. Not my experience.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Alison L

• Korean first
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We were excited to finally get a table at this cafe after a couple of previous attempts but much to our amazement after all the great reviews if was very disappointing. We had brunch at the café on a Saturday morning in early February and our coffee was so bitter it was basically undrinkable. My cooked breakfast comprised fried eggs with the yokes cooked hard ( I had asked for poached eggs), overcooked bacon and a tomato which was only just past being green. When I was part way through eating my meal my companion leant over and extracted a long hair from the middle of my plate. My friend had more success with her meal and said it was ok.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank yumbot10
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent choice for a cafe meal in Nelson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We tried this restaurant on a friend's recommendation and are very glad that we went. The cabinet foods looked fresh and appealing, unlike those of many cafés. They were constantly being replenished, with the selection changing each time. There appear to be many gluten free choices for those for whom this is important. We had a delicious lunch of curry chicken pie and the roasted vegetable sandwich. Both very good although my husband said the curry was much hotter than he would have expected. The decor is fresh and charming and the service very efficient. We plan to go back and try their breakfast selection. I expect this cafe will rise in the rankings of Nelson restaurants once it has received a few more reviews.

Visited February 2014
Nelson, New Zealand
“One of our favorites over many months”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been going to Paula's since it first opened last year. We are there weekly and have also tried her subsequent foodie outlet in the Edito building.

Being a Masterchef finalist will certainly pack the place out for the first week or so, but it takes more than that to build a following. We've enjoyed watching this place produce good food and coffee consistently, week in and week out.

Paula has kept the same good staff since opening, and we've enjoyed everything we've eaten here.

This morning we tried something new and had breakfast....bacon and eggs on cornbread. Delicious, and enhanced by the locally grown and smoked bacon.

The loyal following she has built is testament to the ever-changing menu, the great food and coffee, and the good service. For lunch we're currently enjoying Thai beef salad, a mouth watering blend of Asian favours with just the right amount of heat in the sauce.

Good value for money keeps us coming back although we walk past many other eateries to get here. Always worth the trip.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank BruceFarquhar
Austin, Texas
“Just Awesome!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

I have had the pleasure of visiting Paula's Plate several times now and guys... the food in this place is amazing!!

breakfast was a total gem, very fresh, delicious and so much so that I came back for lunch .... aaaannndddd... I was again, just blown away by how good the food tasted.

if you're in town, this is a place you do NOT want to miss (and one I'll be dreaming of back home)